Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: The God Equation

1. #256 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think you have a 'personal religion' where all the jig-saw pieces are in place and you don't want anyone to 'bump the table'.
    I think you have not understood a single thing I've said. You've evaded every direct question I posed to you.

2. #257 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,766 Times in 27,240 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

In early Egyptian[8] and Mesopotamian thought, the world was portrayed as a disk floating in the ocean. A similar model is found in the Homeric account from the 8th century BC in which "Okeanos, the personified body of water surrounding the circular surface of the Earth, is the begetter of all life and possibly of all gods."[9]

The Pyramid Texts and Coffin Texts of ancient Egypt show a similar cosmography; Nun (the Ocean) encircled nbwt ("dry lands" or "Islands").[10][11][12][full citation needed]

The Israelites also imagined the Earth to be a disc floating on water with an arched firmament above it that separated the Earth from the heavens.[13] The sky was a solid dome with the Sun, Moon, planets, and stars embedded in it.[14]

Greece
    Poets
    Both Homer[15] and Hesiod[16] described a disc cosmography on the Shield of Achilles.[17][18] This poetic tradition of an Earth-encircling (gaiaokhos) sea (Oceanus) and a disc also appears in Stasinus of Cyprus,[19] Mimnermus,[20] Aeschylus,[21] and Apollonius Rhodius.[22]

Homer's description of the disc cosmography on the shield of Achilles with the encircling ocean is repeated far later in Quintus Smyrnaeus' Posthomerica (4th century AD), which continues the narration of the Trojan War.[23]

Philosophers

Possible rendering of Anaximander's world map[24]
    Several pre-Socratic philosophers believed that the world was flat: Thales (c. 550 BC) according to several sources,[25] and Leucippus (c. 440 BC) and Democritus (c. 460–370 BC) according to Aristotle.[26][27][28]

Thales thought that the Earth floated in water like a log.[29] It has been argued, however, that Thales actually believed in a round Earth.[30][31] Anaximander (c. 550 BC) believed that the Earth was a short cylinder with a flat, circular top that remained stable because it was the same distance from all things.[32][33] Anaximenes of Miletus believed that "the Earth is flat and rides on air; in the same way the Sun and the Moon and the other heavenly bodies, which are all fiery, ride the air because of their flatness".[34] Xenophanes of Colophon (c. 500 BC) thought that the Earth was flat, with its upper side touching the air, and the lower side extending without limit.[35]

Belief in a flat Earth continued into the 5th century BC. Anaxagoras (c. 450 BC) agreed that the Earth was flat,[36] and his pupil Archelaus believed that the flat Earth was depressed in the middle like a saucer, to allow for the fact that the Sun does not rise and set at the same time for everyone.[37]

Historians
    Hecataeus of Miletus believed that the Earth was flat and surrounded by water.[38] Herodotus in his Histories ridiculed the belief that water encircled the world,[39] yet most classicists agree that he still believed Earth was flat because of his descriptions of literal "ends" or "edges" of the Earth.[40]

Northern Europe

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

Cypress (09-19-2021), Jack (09-19-2021)

4. #258 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    No, it is being unable to make decisions and analyze your own beliefs. You leave them vague.
    Horse shit.

Beliefs in this area are merely blind guesses. How does one "analyze" one's blind guesses.

If you think there is value in blind guesses that cannot be tested, okay. But if you do...YOU ARE WRONG.

I flip a coin and assert: If it comes up HEADS, I guess at least one god exists...if it comes up TAILS, I guess no gods exist. Analyze that!

Question: Are there any sentient beings living on any planet circling the nearest 20 stars to Sol?

Any answer other than, "I do not know" is nothing more than a blind guess...worth nothing.

This disparagement of the agnostic position on the "do any gods exist" is one of the most ignorant positions anyone ever takes.

An open mind that refuses to make judgements can make no distinctions between the true and false, the important and the trivial.
    Horse shit.

An "open mind" can, and often does, simply assert, "I do not know and do not have enough information to make a meaningful guess."

If anything can be true because it is possible, then truth has no value.
    I don't even know what the hell that means...or what it was supposed to mean. BUT...anything that has not been established as IMPOSSIBLE...IS POSSIBLE.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Cypress (09-19-2021), evince (09-19-2021), Jack (09-19-2021)

6. #259 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    I still love string theory
    I like the aesthetics and elegance of it.

I have no idea how we could ever directly detect the reality of the strings. They are presumed to exist at the scale of the Planck length, about 10 to the negative 35 meters. That is about 20 orders of magnitude smaller than a proton. I do not think there is instrumentation conceivably on the horizon sensitive enough to detect at that scale, and there may never be.

The strings only exist in the realm of theoretical mathematics, until someone devises a way to indirectly provide experimental proof of the string field.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (09-19-2021)

8. #260 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,766 Times in 27,240 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

There was a time when we had NO microscopes

We are currently at a stalemate

Like energy storage

One humans thoughts could change it all

9. #261 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

The agnostic/skeptic gives no criterion for why certain questions are undecidable. Thus the skeptic has no standard for truth.

10. #262 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Horse shit.

Beliefs in this area are merely blind guesses. How does one "analyze" one's blind guesses.

If you think there is value in blind guesses that cannot be tested, okay. But if you do...YOU ARE WRONG.

I flip a coin and assert: If it comes up HEADS, I guess at least one god exists...if it comes up TAILS, I guess no gods exist. Analyze that!

Question: Are there any sentient beings living on any planet circling the nearest 20 stars to Sol?

Any answer other than, "I do not know" is nothing more than a blind guess...worth nothing.

This disparagement of the agnostic position on the "do any gods exist" is one of the most ignorant positions anyone ever takes.

Horse shit.

An "open mind" can, and often does, simply assert, "I do not know and do not have enough information to make a meaningful guess."

I don't even know what the hell that means...or what it was supposed to mean. BUT...anything that has not been established as IMPOSSIBLE...IS POSSIBLE.
    The brightest and most creative minds in human history - Socrates, Voltaire, Tolstoy - all maintain that admitting ignorance is a sign of profound wisdom.

"We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.” -- Lev Tolstoy

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (09-20-2021), Frank Apisa (09-20-2021)

12. #263 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,665 Times in 16,592 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes

I think he’s wrong

I don’t trust organized religion

I believe I have made that very clear and often on this site
    So, you don't respect the messages in gospel music? That's your choice...but an odd one if you don't trust organized religion, yet you say that Aretha is your "queen"....
    Her pastor has some very valid points, you know....not sure what you're disagreeing with....

13. #264 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,449 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

I still love string theory
    Makes a great SF plot device.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

evince (09-20-2021)

15. #265 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The brightest and most creative minds in human history - Socrates, Voltaire, Tolstoy - all maintain that admitting ignorance is a sign of profound wisdom.
    It's wise to know what you don't know, but it takes will to find the answers.

IMO about 80% of people give up even though they still seek the answer. That's when they turn to something easier like pseudoscience, magic, FaceBook, etc.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (09-19-2021), evince (09-20-2021)

17. #266 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    It's wise to know what you don't know, but it takes will to find the answers.

IMO about 80% of people give up even though they still seek the answer. That's when they turn to something easier like pseudoscience, magic, FaceBook, etc.
    I think admitting ignorance, even on an anonymous message board, is unpalatable and humiliating to some. Particularly those lacking confidence and self esteem.

I freely admit I generally avoid topics I do not know jack sh*t about.

You are a learner, and I respect that!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-19-2021), evince (09-20-2021)

19. #267 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The agnostic/skeptic gives no criterion for why certain questions are undecidable. Thus the skeptic has no standard for truth.
    Sorry, but that's poppycock...and not the fun kind.

The criterion is fact. Is it factual or not? If there's no evidence, then there's no evidence to base a decision upon. That said, an absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. Logical people, meaning agnostics or anyone else who can't formulate an opinion based on lack of evidence, drop it and move on since there is no proof either way.

If Truth Detector took too much Oxy and decided that gravity doesn't exist, does it matter if he's skeptical or not when he leaps off the roof? The fact is he would have a very short predictable flight to the ground per the laws of physics.

I'm not skeptical of gravity. I'm skeptical about the story by some rube in Buttfuck, Alabama claiming he was abducted and anally probed by Space Aliens before being released on a Monday morning.

Not all early Christians believed in the divinity of Jesus of Nazareth....most were all killed off by those that did believe in the divinity of their messiah. That's fact too. The killing part I mean.**

Although evidence is sketchy, judging by the ripples, I have no doubt a rabbi emerged from Nazareth about 2000 years ago and his death left a lasting impact on the world. Siddhartha Gautama left similar ripples on the other side of the world about 500 years earlier.

Some think both are divine. Some, but not all. Some just accept the wisdom of the message they left and try to look past all the bullshit that came after. Some shit on the messages each left which, IMO, is silly.

IMO, outside of the Gospels, the New Testament is a long OpEd piece.

Last edited by Doc Dutch; 09-19-2021 at 05:33 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (09-20-2021), evince (09-20-2021)

21. #268 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I think admitting ignorance, even on an anonymous message board, is unpalatable and humiliating to some. Particularly those lacking confidence and self esteem.

I freely admit I generally avoid topics I do not know jack sh*t about.

You are a learner, and I respect that!
    Agreed. It's a shame too because they end up hobbling themselves to a better life. Bosses respect people who can stay ahead of a problem. The more they work on it, the more likely they'll be noticed when it comes to promotions, bonuses and hand-picked assignments.

I think some might believe that intelligence and education are the same thing, which of course, they are not. Racists like to point out IQ bell curves to justify limiting education thereby creating a self-fulfilling prophecy that "they are too stupid to learn".

I believe in maximizing the education of every American. In a world of limited resources, it's a difficult goal to achieve but a global network of free wifi opens a door to self-teaching. I've used the Khan academy to help my niece with algebra and geometry. Sometimes it was difficult to stay ahead of her. My math is limited to doing Time Distance and Burn per hour problems in my head. After that I need a computer. LOL

Thanks on the learning. You too. Sorry, I'm not a hugger.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

23. #269 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Science is the discipline of describing the physical universe. Art is the discipline of the imagination. If you have neither discipline, you have religion.
    Before I raise the Bullshit flag, please define, in your own words, why "Art" is the discipline of the imagination.

Are you defining art? Is that like obscenity? You just know it when you see it?

As others have posted, if there's a divide, it's not between religion and science, it's between people who put emotion over logic versus those who realize we're all animals, but can be pretty clever at times. After all, which other species has nukes? LOL

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

25. #270 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

“It might as well be said that God has properties. He has not, but only attributes and these are of our own making"

tesla
    Tesla exemplified the phrase "crazed genius".

The fuller quote proving he was an idiot:

I hold that space cannot be curved, for the simple reason that it can have no properties. It might as well be said that God has properties. He has not, but only attributes and these are of our own making. Of properties we can only speak when dealing with matter filling the space. To say that in the presence of large bodies space becomes curved is equivalent to stating that something can act upon nothing. I, for one, refuse to subscribe to such a view.“ — Nikola Tesla New York Herald Tribune (11 September 1932)

https://drnikolatesla.tumblr.com/pos...pace-curvature

Einstein's theories have been tested as factual. https://www.space.com/41020-putting-...-the-test.html

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

evince (09-20-2021)