Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The God Equation

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FgqAYtXfP9c

Near-Death Experiences: The Stories They Tell
    Univ. of California, Riverside969,803 viewsApr 20, 2018

This is a talk with questions after

By a well respected scholar on the subject

He mentions this neurosurgeons case

The neurosurgeons story has been accepted by the field due to his documentation and noted respect in his field

When he came out of the comma he had no memory of this world and the life he had lived before the illness

He could not even understand language

A few days after he could speak and understand speach

His adult son told him he needed to write it all down before he researched anything about this type of experience

He did

After he recovered he delved into the subject

He then saw all the patterns in other reported experiences

I think he experienced being in the string theory structure

2. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Cypress (09-17-2021)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

I know the videos I linked to mean hours of time committed

But if you listen to them

They link to string theory in the end

Highly trained humans exploring the known facts

A neurosurgeon who who went from excellent Health to brain mush in hours due to an infectious disease

And how he recovered from his condition

And what he experienced while being in a brain mush state

Fully documented by the people caring for him

Love and music

Ommmm

Really is very informative and entertaining
    I appreciate it!

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

5. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Cypress (09-16-2021)

6. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 165 Times in 155 Posts

fairytale physics

In Farewell to Reality Baggott joins Lee Smolin, Peter Woit, Sabine Hossenfelder, and too few others, in making some very pointed observations about how modern physics has blurred the line between fact and flights of fancy.

Theoretical physics, higher mathematics, and philosophy, all share a trait that lends itself to such flights: they all are a form of storytelling, of fiction. They are products of our imagination.

Often fiction turns to fact, and many physical and mathematical “fictions” have eventually become fact. Others have not, but such fictions tend to be open-ended: we may discover, at any time, something that makes them fact.

Also, it’s important to never step on creativity and imagination. Those are crucial to leading us in new directions. At the same time, we need to be careful about distinguishing what is factual and what is fanciful.

https://logosconcarne.com/2020/04/09...-tale-physics/
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Lee Smolin and Julian Barbour spent a lifetime explaining The Trouble with Physics to layman. They risked their careers exposing the fairy-tales of physics. From their deathbeds they are finally getting well deserved recognition.

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    fairytale physics

In Farewell to Reality Baggott joins Lee Smolin, Peter Woit, Sabine Hossenfelder, and too few others, in making some very pointed observations about how modern physics has blurred the line between fact and flights of fancy.

Theoretical physics, higher mathematics, and philosophy, all share a trait that lends itself to such flights: they all are a form of storytelling, of fiction. They are products of our imagination.

Often fiction turns to fact, and many physical and mathematical “fictions” have eventually become fact. Others have not, but such fictions tend to be open-ended: we may discover, at any time, something that makes them fact.

Also, it’s important to never step on creativity and imagination. Those are crucial to leading us in new directions. At the same time, we need to be careful about distinguishing what is factual and what is fanciful.

Lee Smolin and Julian Barbour spent a lifetime explaining The Trouble with Physics to layman. They risked their careers exposing the fairy-tales of physics. From their deathbeds they are finally getting well deserved recognition.
    I already said pretty much the same thing, but more succinctly, way back in post #2.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...61#post4666361

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I already said pretty much the same thing, but more succinctly, way back in post #2.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...61#post4666361
    I'm agreeing with you. Evangelical mathematics is garbage in garbage out. 1/1000 of a degree mistake leads to a decade of dead end hypothesis. They can't falsify math no one understands. I've been following Lee Smolin and Julian Barbour since I first got access to the internet. It's nice seeing them finally get funding and recognition.

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm agreeing with you. Evangelical mathematics is garbage in garbage out. 1/1000 of a degree mistake leads to a decade of dead end hypothesis. They can't falsify math no one understands. I've been following Lee Smolin and Julian Barbour since I first got access to the internet. It's nice seeing them finally get funding and recognition.
    It doesn't bother me excessively that string theory has not been confirmed yet. But I do think it is way premature to call it a theory.

But in theoretical physics, mathematics frequently leads experimental corroboration. General relativity was not experimentally corroborated until 1919. I think the Higgs Boson was predicted in the 1970s, but not experimentally confirmed it until 2012.

I feel like string theory is a really cool idea, but it has been somewhat over rated because we cannot even test the idea yet.

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It doesn't bother me excessively that string theory has not been confirmed yet. But I do think it is way premature to call it a theory.

But in theoretical physics, mathematics frequently leads experimental corroboration. General relativity was not experimentally corroborated until 1919. I think the Higgs Boson was predicted in the 1970s, but not experimentally confirmed it until 2012.

I feel like string theory is a really cool idea, but it has been somewhat over rated because we cannot even test the idea yet.
    I'm in the camp with those who oppose TOE and a finite universe. I believe we're just scratching the surface of understanding the multiverse. To me, Stephen Hawking was a quack selling fairy-tale physics. I enjoyed it when the science community stepped in and forced him to admit his storytelling was mathematical fiction. But it was his inflated ego that bothered me the most. It's funny seeing new theories on black holes getting attention.

11. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm in the camp with those who oppose TOE and a finite universe. I believe we're just scratching the surface of understanding the multiverse. To me, Stephen Hawking was a quack selling fairy-tale physics. I enjoyed it when the science community stepped in and forced him to admit his storytelling was mathematical fiction. But it was his inflated ego that bothered me the most. It's funny seeing new theories on black holes getting attention.
    I do not have a PhD in physics and would barely understand anything written by Hawking in a technical paper published in a high impact physics journal.

Therefore, I am not entitled to a personal opinion about his significance to science.

His professional peers, on balance, seem to think Hawking was one of the more consequential physicists of the last 50 years.

The philosopher of science Thomas Kuhn maintained that scientific progress is punctuated by periods of stagnation - when certain top tier scientists get too much influence and become the gatekeepers of attempts at novel ideas and new theories.

Kuhn maintains that sometimes science has to wait for the Old guard to die off before the novel ideas of young researchers can gain traction.

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

fairytale physics

Maybe you should read that again

13. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

fairytale physics

The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.
    Nikola Tesla

14. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.
    Nikola Tesla
    The day religion pays attention to the physical it will have legitimacy.

15. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

16. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Cypress (09-17-2021)

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

18. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

“It might as well be said that God has properties. He has not, but only attributes and these are of our own making"

tesla

Then there is no God.