Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: do atheists understand Christianity.....

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,263 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's a Discussion Board. We can air our differences here ... with out a fight ensuing.
    I was basically referring to my personal friends, relatives, associates etc.

Here- I don't have many friends to speak of. So I just say what I have to say.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,703 Times in 27,338 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I just practice Freedom of Religion and Freedom From Religion!

I never question anyone's faith or lack of it.

It's pointless to take issues with anyone on these subjects because it is their American Right to believe whatever they want regarding Religion.

I have atheist, and christian friends, relatives, associates, and neighbors- and we are all friends with each other and we want it to stay that way, so we never really discuss religion much around each other.
    I ask Jewish and Muslim friends about their faith because I am genuinely curious.

They do not mind a respectful kind of curiosity. Talking about religion only becomes problematic or belligerent when the fanatically religious or militantly atheist get involved.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (09-13-2021)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I was basically referring to my personal friends, relatives, associates etc.

Here- I don't have many friends to speak of. So I just say what I have to say.
    We're all 'friends' here, Geeko. But I know what you mean.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It's not irrelevant.

Your posts perfectly demostrates the premise of my thread.

So-called Christians do not even understand some of the basics of their own religion.

You were not aware that the bible as we know it and a New Testament canon did not exist until at least the third or fourth century.

You did not know that the first century early Christianity of the apostles, their companions, and their ministries did not have a bible or New Testament canon as we know it, though they did have an oral tradition and an incipient written tradition.
    all you have proved is that atheists and Christians do not agree about what Christianity is........

astonishing news, isn't it.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,903 Times in 21,665 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    apparently not this one, given how many false things he posted.......

Christianity is a religion composed of those who profess their faith in Jesus Christ as the human incarnation of God......no one restricts that to "evangelical protestants".....

the authors of the gospels were the persons they are attributed to, despite the denials of atheists....

we have multiple copies of the early writings, which by their consistency provide us with more accurate knowledge of the original that we have ever known before........we have a better source of knowledge regarding the original text of the Bible than we have of the works of Aristotle or Socrates.......

Paul did not found Christianity.......Christianity is a body of believers dating back to the incarnation, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.....a body of believers that included Paul, the apostles and thousands of people who heard Jesus speak and experienced the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.....

Christians follow the Mosaic Law, otherwise referred to as the Ten Commandments, but as Christ stated salvation is a gift from God, not earned by obedience to the law.......

Church patristic fathers, Christian theologians of both early and late antiquity, and pretty much all of modern Christianity agree that the OT and the NT include passages of allegory and metaphor, poetry, epistle, narrative and that a study of genre is essential to understanding of the Bible.....

except for a handful of millenialists, all Christianity believes Revelation is a depiction of the Roman era and is not a map of the end times.....

since Jesus is in truth the God of both the New and the Old Testaments, it is ridiculous to pretend he had nothing to say about killing children or sexual relations between men......

the other 98 cents......
    The Bible has many portions modern 'Christians' have deemed no longer relevant to modern life, because they became so inconvenient, I am sure any reference to homosexuality or abortion will soon follow that path.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-14-2021)

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    The Bible has many portions modern 'Christians' have deemed no longer relevant to modern life, because they became so inconvenient, I am sure any reference to homosexuality or abortion will soon follow that path.
    atheists are very sure of it......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,422 Times in 53,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Of course they understand it; that's why they're atheists. Duh.

BTW, the author you quoted is far more correct than the self-proclaimed Xtians saying otherwise.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,903 Times in 21,665 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

atheists are very sure of it......
    Anyone who studied it for 30 seconds, and was intelligent and honest knows it.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

all you have proved is that atheists and Christians do not agree about what Christianity is........

astonishing news, isn't it.......
    My writing is so interesting and irresistible to you, that you routinely read threads you are banned from, and you copy and paste my writing to include in your own threads.

That is actually a little creepy

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My writing is so interesting and irresistible to you, that you routinely read threads you are banned from, and you copy and paste my writing to include in your own threads.

That is actually a little creepy
    /shrugs......you are free to ban me from your threads.......you are not free to ban me from my own......if you say something stupid, I have a right to point at it and comment.....

the simple fact is, an atheist's opinion about Christianity carries about as much weight as Satan's opinion of "good"......

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Anyone who studied it for 30 seconds, and was intelligent and honest knows it.
    ..many ignorant people have studied it their entire lives and made ignorant statements about it.........you've chosen to make ignorant statements without bothering to study.......

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Christianity is a religion composed of those who profess their faith in Jesus Christ as the human incarnation of God......no one restricts that to "evangelical protestants".....

the authors of the gospels were the persons they are attributed to, despite the denials of atheists....

we have multiple copies of the early writings, which by their consistency provide us with more accurate knowledge of the original that we have ever known before........we have a better source of knowledge regarding the original text of the Bible than we have of the works of Aristotle or Socrates.......

Paul did not found Christianity.......Christianity is a body of believers dating back to the incarnation, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.....a body of believers that included Paul, the apostles and thousands of people who heard Jesus speak and experienced the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.....

Christians follow the Mosaic Law, otherwise referred to as the Ten Commandments, but as Christ stated salvation is a gift from God, not earned by obedience to the law.......

Church patristic fathers, Christian theologians of both early and late antiquity, and pretty much all of modern Christianity agree that the OT and the NT include passages of allegory and metaphor, poetry, epistle, narrative and that a study of genre is essential to understanding of the Bible.....

except for a handful of millenialists, all Christianity believes Revelation is a depiction of the Roman era and is not a map of the end times.....

since Jesus is in truth the God of both the New and the Old Testaments, it is ridiculous to pretend he had nothing to say about killing children or sexual relations between men......

the other 98 cents......
    If my writing is so irresistible to you that you have to copy and paste it here, then try to write responses to what I actually wrote, not to what you wish I wrote.

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,263 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

do atheists understand Christianity..... ?

I think the better question is- DO TRUMPTARDS ACTUALLY THINK THEY ARE ACTING LIKE CHRISTIANS?

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If my writing is so irresistible to you that you have to copy and paste it here, then try to write responses to what I actually wrote, not to what you wish I wrote.
    apparently MY posting is so irresistible to YOU that you need to stop by twice whining that I spoke.......perhaps instead you should pick one of the topics you disagree with and debate it.........of course, that is what you fear the most and that is why you ban me from your threads......

for example....are there really significant numbers of Christians in the world who claim Catholics are not Christians?........keep in mind that around 50% of the 3 billion Christians in the world ARE Catholic......
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 09-14-2021 at 10:05 AM.

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,785 Times in 17,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,344 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Like:
    1. Anybody really want to 'turn your cheek' on 9/11/2001?
    2. Walking on Water ... mmmm, hard to believe that.
    It's quite simple to walk on water. You just gotta be clever.