Thread: Skills

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    You could use real life skills like using proper grammar.
    Seriously.

This OP makes me laugh. BullshitBoob (who is on ignore) told me months ago, when he saw a post where I discussed going back to college for another degree in my 60s, that I was a "slut" and a "whore" and only there to "pick up college boys." Yet, I have almost all of those survival skills he mentioned, Mr. Owl does reloading, and we keep our target skills sharp with practice. How hilarious that he thinks HE knows all this stuff but no one else here does. Just another example of his innate inferiority.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Seriously.

This OP makes me laugh. BullshitBoob (who is on ignore) told me months ago, when he saw a post where I discussed going back to college for another degree in my 60s, that I was a "slut" and a "whore" and only there to "pick up college boys." Yet, I have almost all of those survival skills he mentioned, Mr. Owl does reloading, and we keep our target skills sharp with practice. How hilarious that he thinks HE knows all this stuff but no one else here does. Just another example of his innate inferiority.

A Trump supporter. Go figure.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Yes, I have readily marketable skills. You could dump me on some worthless piece of real estate some where an in short order I'll build my own, well constructed, home, grow food, and whatever else I need to do. I can operate heavy construction machinery, am a master electrician, know enough plumbing to do things like plumb a house correctly or build my own septic system. I'm a decent carpenter, a slow but good mason, etc. I know enough to make viable prints and drawings of the stuff I want to build too. I have the tools and know-how to get by and always get a decent paying job when I want one.

It's the life-long urban dweller in an apartment that has no useful survival or marketable skills if everything went to shit.

I regularly get service calls to apartment dwellers where their only issue is a tripped circuit breaker.
    Good skills. That's why I wish when the national narrative turns to education, we would also discuss trade schools and treat them with the same respect -- and funding -- as academic institutions.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

evince (09-12-2021)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,766 Times in 27,240 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

In a hell scape world you can’t buy wiring and cement

How about we just don’t let the trump idiots destroy what we built already

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,293 Times in 13,419 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Good skills. That's why I wish when the national narrative turns to education, we would also discuss trade schools and treat them with the same respect -- and funding -- as academic institutions.
    Me too. College / university isn't for everyone. In fact, it's not going to be the best choice for about two thirds of the population. The trades offers an excellent alternative and they're begging for people.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/this-ol...o-get-involved

There's millions of jobs in the trades that need filling, and far less people qualified to fill them than openings.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahch...h=1806f37f181d

Why is there a skilled worker shortage? There seem to be a number of factors contributing to the shortage of skilled trade workers. One reason is that as older generations retire from the workforce, there are not enough younger workers to take their place. BLS estimates that there are currently 1,191,000 people working in the construction and extraction occupations between the ages of 55 to 64 years. That will lead to quite a few positions opening up over the next decade.

PeopleReady is reporting that “There were 388,345 jobs posted for skilled trades-related workers between May and June (2021), a 50% increase from pre-pandemic levels”. They also note that the skilled trades industries were some of the few that grew almost every month during the pandemic.
    https://careerschoolnow.org/careers/...orker-shortage

While millions of Americans affected by pandemic job loss are still looking for work, the number of skilled trade jobs in the U.S. is far outpacing the supply of qualified workers to fill them. A new analysis by the skilled trades division of staffing leader PeopleReady finds that the most in-demand skilled trade jobs are remaining unfilled the longest—roughly a month on average—due to the shortage of qualified workers.

The skilled trades labor shortage—predominantly driven by a mass exit of baby boomers retiring from the sector—can be an opportunity for people looking for work, especially those who have little to no experience in the skilled trades and need job training, says PeopleReady.
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ed-the-Longest

It seems to me that kids in school today are fed a steady line of bullshit that the only way to truly get ahead is to go to college, get a degree, then get a white-collar job. That's not true at all. Many degrees are worthless, or nearly so. You can save the cost of college and work a trade and make as much or more than someone with a degree in many cases. But kids aren't told that and schools are mostly set up to prep kids for college today. That's a massive blunder.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-12-2021)

8. #21 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,614 Times in 17,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Have fun being a 'Hunter/Gather' in a large city. Get back to me and tell me how that worked out.
    Fuck your city. I know where the mountain springs are, food is easily taken, the hides provide warmth and I have enough ammo
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

goat (09-12-2021)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Have fun being a 'Hunter/Gather' in a large city. Get back to me and tell me how that worked out.
    Where's the love, Jack? I thought we were buds. I don't live in a big city, I spent most of my adult life less than a mile from the pacific ocean. I used to be able to freedive for my seafood but time crept up on me. There's a groundwater spigot nearby.

It's 50 mile to the mountains and 95 miles to the desert. I could walk it if I had to. That's where most of the preppers are. With my culinary skills, people bring food to me. I also know how to make beer and wine. It's not about survival, it's knowing how to live well without utilities and police.

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    In a hell scape world you can’t buy wiring and cement

How about we just don’t let the trump idiots destroy what we built already
    I like this idea a lot.

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Fuck your city. I know where the mountain springs are, food is easily taken, the hides provide warmth and I have enough ammo
    Uh, yeah. You're the guy fascinated with a Sports Car. I give you a week.

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Where's the love, Jack? I thought we were buds. I don't live in a big city, I spent most of my adult life less than a mile from the pacific ocean. I used to be able to freedive for my seafood but time crept up on me. There's a groundwater spigot nearby.

It's 50 mile to the mountains and 95 miles to the desert. I could walk it if I had to. That's where most of the preppers are. With my culinary skills, people bring food to me. I also know how to make beer and wine. It's not about survival, it's knowing how to live well without utilities and police.
    goat. (shaking head) YOU ... would be the Meal.

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

goat. (shaking head) YOU ... would be the Meal.

15. #27 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,614 Times in 17,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Uh, yeah. You're the guy fascinated with a Sports Car. I give you a week.
    And guns...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,163 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Seriously.

I’m too old to rough it. If society breaks down to that point, I have no desire to “survive”. I have provisions for three months, but beyond that, and fighting others to keep them, no thanks.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-13-2021)

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 73 Posts

Seriously.

no I said you were taking a course for free that the resources could be used to help educate a younger person and help get them a job and the resources be used to actually help some one. not help you inflate your ego with all the slts you hang around . I dount such a course would help you in your lunch lady job now is it you old whore .

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 73 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    bob is good at rotating the tires on his trailer
    I dont own a trailer , sorry are you good a mugging your neighbors in the blm tradition