Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: are the jailed insurrectionists really political prisoners like the GOP is claiming?

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,727 Times in 27,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,585 Times in 18,174 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Darth,

I don't think you'll find too many cases of that.

BLM protestors come out in the daytime. They have a planned march. They go home. Later at night, white supremacists come out and do damage. That's not part of BLM.

Antifa, not part of BLM, physically attacks white supremacists, thus lowering themselves to that level. I do not support antifa nor violence. I am not defending antifa. Throw them all in jail. You fight in the street, you need to do time.
    They are anarchists not antifa

The racists wanted to smear the anti fascists of the past

They want their violence to be blamed on people who hate fascists

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,043 Times in 7,480 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,047 Posts

I would opine that trying to forcibly breach Congress while it's in session certifying an election is a pretty serious fucking crime.

If it isn't, we live in anarchy.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

evince (09-09-2021), ThatOwlWoman (09-09-2021)

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    They are anarchists not antifa

The racists wanted to smear the anti fascists of the past

They want their violence to be blamed on people who hate fascists
    There is merit in opposing fascism, but not with violence.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

There is merit in opposing fascism, but not with violence.

Agreed

That is why I make the distinction between antifa and anarchists

They called themselves anarchists from the beginning

The FBI keeps telling us there is no antifa organized people

It’s a right wing meme to trash the anti fascist position

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

who new DC tourists were trying to kill members of Congress and shitting on the capitol building floor, while beating cops and waving those stupid snake flags....... these tours should be cancelled immediately

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

evince (09-09-2021), ThatOwlWoman (09-09-2021)

8. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    Agreed

That is why I make the distinction between antifa and anarchists

They called themselves anarchists from the beginning

The FBI keeps telling us there is no antifa organized people

It’s a right wing meme to trash the anti fascist position
    oh yeah they lie 24/7, will never stop

'antifa' isn't organized in any fashion, it's a loose affiliation of anti-fascists who wish to counter right wing thuggery when they can

straw man insanity is their go-to tactic....and the MSM buys into it almost every time instead of ignoring the bullshit altogether

notice CNN's coverage of the Kabul evacuation?....looked like Fox produced every story

9. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

evince (09-09-2021)

10. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 4,500 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Hello Flash,

News to me. I thought it was a discussion about trying to relabel the defendants as 'political prisoners.'

It's only part of the discussion because certain participants are trying to control the terminology and refuse to call and insurrection an insurrection. The problem is: it was an insurrection. A group revolted against our government and tried to force our government to do what they wanted instead of allowing the official proceeding to continue it's course.

I'm not trying to change the charges. I would simply like to see justice done.
    Trying to relabel defendants as political prisoners is not something I worry about--it has no chance of success. I don't know if anybody has been charged with insurrection/rebellion. I'm not surprised because the law makes it very difficult to prove. You almost never see anyone charged with inciting a riot for the same reason; or, charged with treason.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-09-2021), ThatOwlWoman (09-09-2021)

12. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Trying to relabel defendants as political prisoners is not something I worry about--it has no chance of success. I don't know if anybody has been charged with insurrection/rebellion. I'm not surprised because the law makes it very difficult to prove. You almost never see anyone charged with inciting a riot for the same reason; or, charged with treason.
    I would imagine that would have to happen in a group case. No individual is going to be charged with insurrection. It would have to be a large group. I suppose that could be a separate trail apart from all the individual assault and vandalism cases, but if they already have them on violence charges and insurrection is so hard to prove, why give them that 'win?' They don't have to. They have lower hanging fruit.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,784 Times in 17,238 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

Insurrection is a knotty charge that goes into intent. However, the Trumpies have lots of clear and obvious charges such as trespassing, beating on police and damaging the capitol bldg that will provide lots of jail time for them to think about what they did.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

evince (09-09-2021), Flash (09-09-2021), ThatOwlWoman (09-09-2021)

15. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,302 Times in 53,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I would opine that trying to forcibly breach Congress while it's in session certifying an election is a pretty serious fucking crime.

If it isn't, we live in anarchy.
    It is not, in any way, shape, or form, equivalent to the protests over the deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of police, no matter how angry and violent those protests might have become. In fact, I would go so far as to call anyone who even tries to equate the two a racist. Otherwise, they would use examples of *white* protests that turned violent. They don't.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

evince (09-09-2021), NiftyNiblick (09-09-2021)

17. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I guess they could argue that’s it’s not necessary when the President tells you to march?
    (shaking head) Who's side are you on?

18. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    who new DC tourists were trying to kill members of Congress and shitting on the capitol building floor, while beating cops and waving those stupid snake flags....... these tours should be cancelled immediately
    You forgot about them shitting into their own hands and smearing it all over the walls and statues

19. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

There’s more than one problem with proving insurrection and the most glaring problem is consistently missed by the insurrection enthusiasts.

What was the plan? If you want an insurrection charge to stick that means it goes in front of jury. Any competent defense lawyer would make a mockery of an insurrection theory offered by the prosecution. For one, there wasn’t a single firearm found on any of the perps inside the Capitol.

Which is actually sort of remarkable, if you think about it. Not even one weapon.

So, how exactly, did these people *plan* on over throwing the government with zero firearms? It’s impossible. They would all be gunned down in short order. Whatever their intent was, it wasn’t overthrowing the government.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

20. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 4,500 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    There’s more than one problem with proving insurrection and the most glaring problem is consistently missed by the insurrection enthusiasts.

What was the plan? If you want an insurrection charge to stick that means it goes in front of jury. Any competent defense lawyer would make a mockery of an insurrection theory offered by the prosecution. For one, there wasn’t a single firearm found on any of the perps inside the Capitol.

Which is actually sort of remarkable, if you think about it. Not even one weapon.

So, how exactly, did these people *plan* on over throwing the government with zero firearms? It’s impossible. They would all be gunned down in short order. Whatever their intent was, it wasn’t overthrowing the government.

I would assume the plan was to stop Congress from counting the electoral votes which they did delay. If there were no firearms inside the Capitol, they were obviously not needed to temporarily stop the count.

There were charges of people possessing firearms on capitol grounds.

"PolitiFact reviewed the case files of approximately 430 defendants who were arrested and charged for their actions at the Capitol. We found several defendants who police say were found to have brought firearms with them. Some were charged with having firearms on Capitol grounds, while others stashed them away while in Washington.They included:

Lonnie Coffman of Alabama: Police found multiple firearms and weapons in Coffman’s possession. Coffman’s truck, which he had parked in the vicinity of the Capitol on the morning of Jan. 6, was packed with weaponry including a handgun, a rifle and a shotgun, each loaded, according to court documents. In addition, the truck held hundreds of rounds of ammunition, several large-capacity ammunition feeding devices, a crossbow with bolts, machetes, camouflage smoke devices, a stun gun and 11 Molotov cocktails.

Court records and video surveillance footage show that Coffman, who had ties to militia groups, parked the vehicle near the Capitol at 9:15 a.m. that day. The documents say that after he got out of his pickup truck at 9:20 a.m., he joined a crowd of people who walked directly to the Capitol building.

He was detained later that evening as an unnamed woman was driving him back toward his truck. Police questioned Coffman and searched him, finding two more handguns on his person. None of the weapons were registered, documents state.

Guy Reffitt of Texas
    : Reffitt was charged with bringing a handgun onto Capitol grounds. Court documents showed that Reffitt, reported in court documents to be a member of the militia group Three Percenters, told his family he brought his gun with him and that he and others "stormed the Capitol."

Christopher Michael Alberts of Maryland
    : Alberts brought his handgun onto Capitol grounds. An officer saw that Alberts had a gun on his hip and alerted fellow officers. When Alberts tried to flee, officers detained him and recovered the loaded handgun along with a separate magazine.

The total number of people who carried firearms with them that day may not ever be fully accounted for because the majority of those involved in the siege were not arrested on-site but were tracked down by law enforcement days, weeks and months later.

It’s also worth noting that the definition of "armed" is not legally limited to guns — it refers to any weapon used for defense or offense and used as a means of protection. Other items used as weapons Jan. 6 included bats, crutches, flagpoles, skateboards, fire extinguishers and chemical sprays."

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...ow/7963993002/

21. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,784 Times in 17,238 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

I would assume the plan was to stop Congress from counting the electoral votes which they did delay. If there were no firearms inside the Capitol, they were obviously not needed to temporarily stop the count.

There were charges of people possessing firearms on capitol grounds.

"PolitiFact reviewed the case files of approximately 430 defendants who were arrested and charged for their actions at the Capitol. We found several defendants who police say were found to have brought firearms with them. Some were charged with having firearms on Capitol grounds, while others stashed them away while in Washington.They included:

Lonnie Coffman of Alabama: Police found multiple firearms and weapons in Coffman’s possession. Coffman’s truck, which he had parked in the vicinity of the Capitol on the morning of Jan. 6, was packed with weaponry including a handgun, a rifle and a shotgun, each loaded, according to court documents. In addition, the truck held hundreds of rounds of ammunition, several large-capacity ammunition feeding devices, a crossbow with bolts, machetes, camouflage smoke devices, a stun gun and 11 Molotov cocktails.

Court records and video surveillance footage show that Coffman, who had ties to militia groups, parked the vehicle near the Capitol at 9:15 a.m. that day. The documents say that after he got out of his pickup truck at 9:20 a.m., he joined a crowd of people who walked directly to the Capitol building.

He was detained later that evening as an unnamed woman was driving him back toward his truck. Police questioned Coffman and searched him, finding two more handguns on his person. None of the weapons were registered, documents state.

Guy Reffitt of Texas
    : Reffitt was charged with bringing a handgun onto Capitol grounds. Court documents showed that Reffitt, reported in court documents to be a member of the militia group Three Percenters, told his family he brought his gun with him and that he and others "stormed the Capitol."

Christopher Michael Alberts of Maryland
    : Alberts brought his handgun onto Capitol grounds. An officer saw that Alberts had a gun on his hip and alerted fellow officers. When Alberts tried to flee, officers detained him and recovered the loaded handgun along with a separate magazine.

The total number of people who carried firearms with them that day may not ever be fully accounted for because the majority of those involved in the siege were not arrested on-site but were tracked down by law enforcement days, weeks and months later.

It’s also worth noting that the definition of "armed" is not legally limited to guns — it refers to any weapon used for defense or offense and used as a means of protection. Other items used as weapons Jan. 6 included bats, crutches, flagpoles, skateboards, fire extinguishers and chemical sprays."

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...ow/7963993002/
    Don't forget pepper spray.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Flash (09-09-2021)