Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Natural Selection' Thread

1. #256 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,734 Times in 14,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Being old enough to have begun driving without seatbelts, I really hate them--especially in coat weather.
    But I DO wear them, even when driving up north in New Hampshire, the one state that doesn't mandate them [Live free or die, etc, Motorcyclists don't have to wear helmets, either]

I wear them for the sole reason of not looking like a moron-libertarian. It's sort of like covid masks.
    When the laws were first passed in the mid 80s in NY, there were still quite a few cars on the road that didn't have them. They used to be an option when buying a car. So those drivers got a pass.

I always hated them. I never wore mine in my old truck. In my new truck I wear it out of habit. I can't really argue that they're a bad idea. I just didn't like being told that I had to.

And as you say...they're a pain in the ass in the winter.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

NiftyNiblick (09-05-2021)

3. #257 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,926 Times in 11,513 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Unnecessary. I know the vaccines are safe. Two-thirds of the world's population have received at least one dose. That is 5.44 BILLION human beings. You're talking about what... a few thousand cases, most of which have not been directly linked to receiving the vaccine?

If getting poked scares you, don't do it. Live in fear instead. Your choice. As for me, I chose to follow the science and have been vaccinated,
    There is no science here.
    and will be getting a booster as soon as it's available.
    So you have joined the Covid religion. Meh.
    We are enjoying life as much as we did pre-pandemic. We go out to eat, we go to busy venues, we've traveled this summer (once by plane). I don't put on a mask unless it's required. Life is good when you aren't living in fear.
    So are people that are not vaccinated.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

4. #258 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    The family in the OP didn't live in fear.

They didn't live in reality either, but no trumpers do
    Define 'reality'.
    False dichotomy fallacy. TDS. Trolling.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

5. #259 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I hope she remains well. I have a friend in the hospital right now, that they thought was doing well last week and now they don’t know if he’ll make it.
    That's how quickly this virus changes you. Generally, once on the vent, you're done.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-06-2021)

7. #260 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Ok, well the science says that if you’re unvaccinated your 7 times as likely to test positive for COVID-19, 49 times as likely to be hospitalized and 37 times more likely to die than the vaccinated.
    Don't call it science if you want to keep their short attention.

Call it math.

Or bacon. Everyone loves bacon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (09-12-2021)

9. #261 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Please stop confusing the Trumpian Dick Suckers with facts. They don't understand them and will only flood the thread with bullshit about BLM and Antifa then resort to personal attacks.

Follow of advice of the Black Goddess, Kali: Fuck'em. You can't fix stupid. Let them return to the Earth.

She can be harsh, but like a good mother, she knows right is right.
    If I were the type to thread ban, Grok would be the first.

10. #262 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I love Natural Selection. 1/6 was a example of what happens when We, the People, collect all the idiots together in Washington. Well, at least all the brave idiots. Still lots of pussified idiots on this forum who were too chickenshit to go.

Here's the bottom line: post the numbers of vaccinated deaths to unvaccinated deaths.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...6e7354f5d5e187
    Nearly all COVID deaths in US are now among unvaccinated
    Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who weren’t vaccinated, a staggering demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to under 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 107,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 1.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.

I'm not a doctor or a fucking politician, but I do know a lot about statistics and calculating odds/risk. I went with the vaccinations as soon as I could and will do the same with the booster. Not just COVID either, I'm always current on all of my shots such as tetanus, pneumonia, flu, shingles, etc. Vaccines work.
    Random numbers. You known nothing about statistical math or probability math. You deny them both.

Math errors: Use of random numbers as data. Failure to declare boundary. Failure to select by randN. Failure to declare and justify variance. Failure to calculate margin of error value. Failure to publish margin of error value. Failure to declare randX.

11. #263 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Those numbers are even more compelling when you realize that none of the vaccines are 100% effective. An infection rate of 1.1% far surpasses their claimed 94-95% efficacy rate.

Or to look at it another way, it's been claimed that 6,000 or so vaccinated ppl have either died from COVID, or allegedly suffered some adverse effect from receiving the vaccine. (Caveat: There is little proof yet other than a handful of anaphylactic episodes that the vaccine itself has killed.) Given that 369M vaccines have been administered in the U.S., that gives us an astounding rate of 0.00001626016% of vaccines have either been ineffective leading to death, or directly caused death.
    Random numbers are not compelling.

12. #264 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed.

Did you see the movie "Bombshell"? Key phrase "It's a visual medium". That's the reality which translated into politics with the first televised Presidential debate.

Most people on the radio believed Nixon won, but most who watched on television thought JFK won. This data was not lost on most statisticians and advisors for political campaigns.

That said, I do think the artificiality of television is influencing too many people with superficial values. It's up to parents to influence their children otherwise.

Parents are the ones who are responsible, not Fox News, the schools or local politicians. Sure, they can all help, but it's still up to the parents.
    Math errors: Use of random numbers as data. Failure to select by randN. Failure to declare and justify variance. Failure to calculate and publish margin of error.

13. #265 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Vaccine numbers are only half the story. These states are now suing school districts over mask mandates, and winning.

Why do they hate children?
    They don't. Non-sequitur fallacy.

14. #266 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 180 Posts

I love Natural Selection. 1/6 was a example of what happens when We, the People, collect all the idiots together in Washington. Well, at least all the brave idiots. Still lots of pussified idiots on this forum who were too chickenshit to go.

Here's the bottom line: post the numbers of vaccinated deaths to unvaccinated deaths.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...6e7354f5d5e187
    Nearly all COVID deaths in US are now among unvaccinated
    Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who weren’t vaccinated, a staggering demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to under 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 107,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 1.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.

I'm not a doctor or a fucking politician, but I do know a lot about statistics and calculating odds/risk. I went with the vaccinations as soon as I could and will do the same with the booster. Not just COVID either, I'm always current on all of my shots such as tetanus, pneumonia, flu, shingles, etc. Vaccines work.
    That includes a good deal of Blacks & Latinos.

15. #267 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Math errors: Use of random numbers as data. Failure to select by randN. Failure to declare and justify variance. Failure to calculate and publish margin of error.
    However, your basic point is correct. It is up to the parents.

16. #268 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,090 Times in 25,663 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

I hope she remains well. I have a friend in the hospital right now, that they thought was doing well last week and now they don’t know if he’ll make it.
    That seems to be the nasty little surprise about Covid, just like it was with Cardinal Burke and others we've read about. The knockout punch doesn't come in the beginning of the virus.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

17. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-06-2021)

18. #269 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When the laws were first passed in the mid 80s in NY, there were still quite a few cars on the road that didn't have them. They used to be an option when buying a car. So those drivers got a pass.

I always hated them. I never wore mine in my old truck. In my new truck I wear it out of habit. I can't really argue that they're a bad idea. I just didn't like being told that I had to.

And as you say...they're a pain in the ass in the winter.
    Seat belts in cars and aircraft are generally a good idea. They are the cheapest and most effective means of protecting yourself in an accident in these vehicles.
    They are useless on a bus. The mass of the bus is your best protection.
    They are useless on a boat. They can be dangerous at sea, due to corrosion and inability to release if you are underwater.

In a jet, wear your seat belt at all times while you are seated. Clear air turbulence can be quite unexpected, sudden, and violent. Landing and taking off are also times that a seat belt can help save you in the event of an accident during these maneuvers.

Some cars (and some aircraft!) install belts that are too short. Get longer ones installed. It's worth it.

Should they be required by law? You do have to follow the orders of the crew on a jet. They have all the legal authority they need to require seatbelt use.
    For your own car? YOU are the 'captain' of that car. You decide what you want to do, not the government.

19. #270 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,090 Times in 25,663 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Thanks, my friend, he’s so sick, he’s dying without his family, he’s giving up. It’s got to be awful for his family.
    Oh no. It must be hard for these patients to struggle for every breath and not have an end in sight. I hope he turns the corner.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

20. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-06-2021)