Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do most Christians even understand their own religion?

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,762 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    For one thing, they stoned homosexuals to death.
    The Jews? Unfortunately yes.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Ezekiel 16:49-50
    New International Version
    49 “‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen."
    You seem particularly proud that you understand the etymology of the word "sodomy." Most intelligent people know its etymology...and are not especially proud that they know something any intelligent person should know.

No mention of homosexuality.
    "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be
    put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their
    lives."

Leviticus 20:13

No mention of homosexuality here either! In fact, no mention of homosexual activity either.

BUT only an idiot would not understand what is being proscribed.

As to the Leviticus laws, those were the health codes. They wandered in the desert and semen and water were precious. See Onan as an example.
    C'mon! There is no doubt whatsoever what is being proscribed in Leviticus 20:13...nor the punishment expected.

Notice that those laws did not directly address homosexuality itself, just the act of wasting semen during anal sex? (One has to wonder why there is no mention of an anal sex with a woman)
    Gimme a break. It was NOT "just the act of wasting semen during anal sex." (I do not understand your question mark punctuation here.)

And homosexual activity is not limited to just anal sex.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    The Jews? Unfortunately yes.
    "Christians" were adherents of the teaching of Jesus.

The early Christians were ALL Jews. Every one of them. The gentiles did not enter the picture until Paul came along...and Paul was late coming to the party.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

AProudLefty (09-16-2021)

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,298 Times in 27,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

New Testament was written in Greek.

Greek has a more sophisticated vocabulary for expressing theological matters than did other languages.*

Your garden variety bible thumper believes they have read the New Testament, when they actually haven't.

They are reading a pale and imprecise translation in a vernacular language.

* Source: William Cook, professor of religious history, State University of New York

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Jets at Miami 1:00 game.

In PA he fell asleep behind the wheel. Give me 100 times on the win and the over. It’s an ash tray.
    You don’t do it in your house but you want to do it here.

He likes to mock me. But he doesn’t understand what was the
    circumstance when it happened?

I lined up against a guy with one arm. I blew him out every play. They took him out of the game.
    At the end of the season they told me I lost the league hart award to the guy with one arm.

Salutatorian ~ I can’t even spell it.

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I am pretty sure Jesus never said anything explicitly about abortion or gays.
    skipping straight to the punch line...

He didn't need to say anything about it as it was already defined an sin as was so much else.
    He didn't invent Christianity because he was a jew and made no effort to be anything other than a jew.
    But he did claim to be the Messiah the jews were waiting for.
    They were not ok with this. Their reasons were their own.
    The rest is history.

All the various denominations and sects have their problems mainly because they all have their own take on things. The one thing many fail to account for is that none of them are necessary as salvation comes solely from Christ Jesus, not from any man, idol, building or rite.

So put your faith in the Savior, ascribe to any sect that is comfortable for you (or none at all) and you will be in good hands.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    He didn't need to say anything about it as it was already defined an sin as was so much else.
    He did not talk much about what many Christians obsess on: Family relations and being married, abortion, gays.

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    He did not talk much about what many Christians obsess on: Family relations and being married, abortion, gays.
    Because they were already addressed.
    He did not invent a new list of sins nor did he declassify any existing ones. He was a jew and those things already existed and remained.
    What he DID do was offer up a new Testament, a new way to salvation via his personal sacrifice.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,298 Times in 27,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

skipping straight to the punch line...

He didn't invent Christianity because he was a jew and made no effort to be anything other than a jew.
    But he did claim to be the Messiah the jews were waiting for.
    They were not ok with this. Their reasons were their own.
    The rest is history.

All the various denominations and sects have their problems mainly because they all have their own take on things. The one thing many fail to account for is that none of them are necessary as salvation comes solely from Christ Jesus, not from any man, idol, building or rite.

So put your faith in the Savior, ascribe to any sect that is comfortable for you (or none at all) and you will be in good hands.
    My understanding is that Christianity is not a religion about Jesus' Jewish heritage.

It is about what Jesus 'life meant.

In that sense, Christianity is the religion of Paul, Augustine, and the early church fathers. Specifically, how they interpreted Jesus 'life and revelation.

To emulate Jesus meant to practice charity, mercy, humility, non-violence, pacifism, and universal love.

Salvation depends on faith and grace. Not on following the Jewish law of Torah.

In early Christianity, there was even a question whether the Jewish Tanakh even was to be considered canonical scripture.

The Jewish bible was ultimately accepted as scriptural, largely because it supposedly prophesized the life of Jesus, and because having ancient scripture as part of your new religion gave Christianity legitimacy in a Roman Empire which tended to view novel new religious cults with suspicion.

According to Paul, there was no expectation for gentiles to follow the Jewish law, even though Tanakh had good ethical wisdom in it.

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    My understanding is that Christianity is not a religion about Jesus' Jewish heritage.

It is about what Jesus 'life meant.

In that sense, Christianity is the religion of Paul, Augustine, and the early church fathers. Specifically, how they interpreted Jesus 'life and revelation.

To emulate Jesus meant to practice charity, mercy, humility, non-violence, pacifism, and universal love.

Salvation depends on faith and grace. Not on following the Jewish law of Torah.

In early Christianity, there was even a question whether the Jewish Tanakh even was to be considered canonical scripture.

The Jewish bible was ultimately accepted as scriptural, largely because it supposedly prophesized the life of Jesus, and because having ancient scripture as part of your new religion gave Christianity legitimacy in a Roman Empire which tended to view novel new religious cults with suspicion.

According to Paul, there was no expectation for gentiles to follow the Jewish law, even though Tanakh had good ethical wisdom in it.
    Well Jesus upon granting forgiveness would tell them to go forth and sin no more.
    Sin was defined already so no real question about that.
    But you DO have to repent your sins to obtain your salvation.

12. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well Jesus upon granting forgiveness would tell them to go forth and sin no more.
    Sin was defined already so no real question about that.
    But you DO have to repent your sins to obtain your salvation.
    Wow, sounds like a dumb religion.

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Wow, sounds like a dumb religion.
    Yes I know your team prefers ones that throw homosexuals off buildings, beating women and fucking goats.

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes I know your team prefers ones that throw homosexuals off buildings, beating women and fucking goats.
    No idea what you're talking about. Are all Christians as stupid as you?

15. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No idea what you're talking about. Are all Christians as stupid as you?
    hmm lets see....
    YOU cannot figure this out and I'm stupid ?

go back to your crayons

16. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

hmm lets see....
    YOU cannot figure this out and I'm stupid ?

go back to your crayons
    You're a jerk, figured that out.