Thread: 5X Extreme Weather Disasters Than 1970's

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default 5X Extreme Weather Disasters Than 1970's

" GENEVA (AP) -- Weather disasters are striking the world four to five times more often and causing seven times more damage than in the 1970s, the United Nations weather agency reports.

The report comes during a disaster-filled summer globally, including deadly floods in Germany and a heat wave in the Mediterranean, and with the United States simultaneously struck by powerful Hurricane Ida and an onslaught of drought-worsened wildfires.

... the economic losses have been growing very rapidly and this growth is supposed to continue,” he added. “We are going to see more climatic extremes because of climate change, and these negative trends in climate will continue for the coming decades.”

In the 1970s, the world averaged about 711 weather disasters a year, but from 2000 to 2009 that was up to 3,536 a year or nearly 10 a day, according to the report, which used data from the Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters in Belgium. The average number of yearly disasters dropped a bit in the 2010s to 3,165, the report said.

Most death and damage during 50 years of weather disasters came from storms, flooding and drought.

More than 90% of the more than 2 million deaths are in what the U.N. considers developing nations, while nearly 60% of the economic damage occurred in richer countries.

In the 1970s, weather disasters cost about $175 billion globally, when adjusted to 2019 dollars, the U.N. found. That increased to $1.38 trillion for the period from 2010 to 2019.

What's driving the destruction is that more people are moving into dangerous areas as climate change is making weather disasters stronger and more frequent, U.N. disaster and weather officials said. Meanwhile, experts said, better weather warnings and preparedness are lessening the death toll.

Susan Cutter, director of the Hazards and Vulnerability Research Institute at the University of South Carolina, noted progress in learning to live with risk and protecting ourselves.

“On the other hand, we're still making stupid decisions about where we're putting our infrastructure,” she said. "

Weather disasters occurring up to five times more often than 1970s: UN agency
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (09-02-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"Scientists say climate change has made worse the hot and dry weather conditions fueling the West's extreme wildfires.

And it's also contributed to the warming of water, making hurricanes such as Ida in the Gulf Coast more dangerous."

This year is on track to be California's worst fire season on record, and it's far from over.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-02-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,700 Times in 33,596 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,061 Times in 4,679 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    "Scientists say climate change has made worse the hot and dry weather conditions fueling the West's extreme wildfires.

And it's also contributed to the warming of water, making hurricanes such as Ida in the Gulf Coast more dangerous."

This year is on track to be California's worst fire season on record, and it's far from over.
    Some of my family lives in the area. They say it is horrible. My family in ID and Utah also feeling the effects from the smoke.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-02-2021)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,309 Times in 14,058 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

This lady is correct:

On the other hand, we're still making stupid decisions about where we're putting our infrastructure,” she said.

It happens in California and other places as well I'm sure. People who profess to claim about climate change yet fight against increased density and new development in more urban areas where the jobs and public transportation are. As a result, people live further out and spend more time commuting in their cars. On top of that they move into places like heavily wooded areas in sticks that have these strong weather events. It's not like these weather events weren't happening previously, but now that we build housing and infrastructure in that area we act surprised when damage is done.

So many people are quick to scream out "climate change, climate change, we have to do something about it!" while fighting measures that might affect them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-02-2021)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,401 Times in 10,031 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    People who profess to claim about climate change yet fight against increased density and new development in more urban areas where the jobs and public transportation are.
    What people do this?
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    This lady is correct:

On the other hand, we're still making stupid decisions about where we're putting our infrastructure,” she said.

It happens in California and other places as well I'm sure. People who profess to claim about climate change yet fight against increased density and new development in more urban areas where the jobs and public transportation are. As a result, people live further out and spend more time commuting in their cars. On top of that they move into places like heavily wooded areas in sticks that have these strong weather events. It's not like these weather events weren't happening previously, but now that we build housing and infrastructure in that area we act surprised when damage is done.

So many people are quick to scream out "climate change, climate change, we have to do something about it!" while fighting measures that might affect them.
    Totally agreed on that one.

It's pretty dumb. A hurricane comes through, wipes out coastal structures, housing, businesses, etc. Mother Nature has spoken. And then what do the dumb humans do? Immediately start building back, as if daring another storm to come knock down the new structures.

When sea level rise is causing once dry areas to become inundated, government should buy those people out and turn it into parks.

New construction needs to happen in safer areas.

It's crazy to build a cabin in the woods. That's like asking for it. I see that as only a matter of time till a fire comes along and destroys it.

Anything built in the woods needs to be fireproof.

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Floods, sea level rise, stronger hurricanes, heat waves, wildfires.

ALL of it predicted by Climate Scientists.