Thread: Windows 7

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Windows 7

Just installed Windows 7 Beta 1 (Build 7000).

The interface is very similar to that of Vista, but the inner workings are vastly improved. After a bit of tweaking, W7 runs smoother than Vista even with my notebook's modest specs (Intel Core Duo T2600 (32-bit) 2.16GHz, 3GB RAM, GeForce 7600 256MB Graphics). Also, so far it seems very stable.

This got me thinking, how would W7 run on an older system? So I installed it on an old P4 2GHz I had in my garage. With only 512MB RAM and slow-as-fuh Intel graphics, it is a little sluggish but surprisingly usable.

Next step: getting Mac OS X Leopard to run stable on my x86 notebook.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I believe that they're going to change the interface. They're keeping the old one in the beta as a stopgap.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

hey guys welcome to 2001, glad you guys finally caught up.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

would you recommend a person with average computer knowledge downloading this? what if it crashes my computer?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    I believe that they're going to change the interface. They're keeping the old one in the beta as a stopgap.
    Possible, but doubtful. W7 is indented to be an incremental update to Vista, sorta like 98 was to 95. The interface of will remain almost identical. Why would they change it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt
    would you recommend a person with average computer knowledge downloading this? what if it crashes my computer?
    I would not recommend it. Even though it appears to be stable, it is Beta. In order to update to the next build, for example, you'll have to reinstall from scratch. Also, it requires a bit of tweaking to get it working smoothly.

However, for the first time in the history of Windows, I will recommend upgrading to W7 as soon as the final version is released. Usually I recommend waiting for SP1 (as I did with XP and Vista), but with W7 I'll feel pretty comfortable taking the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Grind
    hey guys welcome to 2001, glad you guys finally caught up.
    I will admit Mac OS X is a well-designed operating system, and is superior to Windows in several ways. But technically speaking both architectures are terribly outdated (they're based on clunky hybrid kernels).

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Possible, but doubtful. W7 is indented to be an incremental update to Vista, sorta like 98 was to 95. The interface of will remain almost identical. Why would they change it?
    They are updating every three years, in a cycle now. It's not the same development pattern as 95 and 98.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They are updating every three years, in a cycle now. It's not the same development pattern as 95 and 98.
    No, the pattern is similar.

W7 development is focused primarily on better multi-core support and streamlining of the kernel, yielding improved performance. The interface of W7 is almost identical to that of Vista and will likely remain so. Now the same could be said for 95 and 98, which shared essentially the same GUI. But Windows 98 was far more reliable than 95 and contained some additional features. With all due respect you're probably too young to know/remember that.

Compare this to the development of Windows XP, which not only overhauled the user interface, but also abandoned 9x's monolithic "DOS-Based" architecture in favor of the NT kernel. XP and Vista were separated by over five years, while only 3 years separate 98 and 95 and (most likely) Vista and 7.

Windows 7 will be to Vista what 98 was to 95. That is my point.

* I didn't factor in 2k Pro since it was targeted toward business workstations.
    ** I'm going to pretend Windows ME never existed.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

With all due respect you're probably too young to know/remember that.
    O rly?

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

O rly?
    Judging by your "I've done nothing with my life" thread, yes.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

* I didn't factor in 2k Pro since it was targeted toward business workstations.
    2k was more like NT than the newer operating systems... I think people got confused, because Microsoft decided to start use the "year released and windows" naming pattern they had been using for their consumer products on their business products. I still had it on my desktop until like last year.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

2k was more like NT than the newer operating systems... I think people got confused, because Microsoft decided to start use the "year released and windows" naming pattern they had been using for their consumer products on their business products. I still had it on my desktop until like last year.
    Yeah, 2K was (and is) a reliable OS. It was my preference until recently as well.