Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On being a hopeless luddite.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,764 Times in 7,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Default On being a hopeless luddite.

I have a land line. If you want to call when when I'm at home, you'd need to have the unlisted land line number and you'd need to use it.
    I'm not likely to answer my cell phone at home where it would, either turned on or off, be on the charger.
    Indeed, the voice mail message if I don't pick up is....."Please call me on my land line." I don't offer the number.

My cell phone is predominantly for making the blue tooth phone in my car work. Essentially, then, it's replacing an old fashioned car phone, only it's no longer a rare luxury.

Only four contacts on my cell phone have a uniquely identifiable ring tone: my home land line, my wife's cell, my son's cell, and my daughter's cell.
    There used to be more but it's down to that. [I suppose that if I has a girlfriend or mistress, she'd have a ring tone as well, but I'm way past having the energy for that.
    And I'm still afraid of the Gestapo.]

I get the same generic ring for everybody else, so if I'm not expecting a call, I don't trip over myself to answer a generic ringtone.
    Most of the time, however, it's just the blue tooth in the car waking up. Except in the summer when I drive the old Corvette. That has no GPS, no backup camera, and no blue teeth of any kind.
    It's an old man's toy, not a real practical car, and it's only for sunny days because I can no longer get in or out of it with the top up..

I still have cable television in addition to a few modern streaming services. Since most of what I watch is on streaming, it's almost like setting to fire to the money spent on premium channels,
    but I keep hoping that HBO or Showtime will some day have something good on it again.

My wi fi at home is for listening to podcasts on the tablets. My home is wired with an ethernet network, just as if this were 1995, and the computers are plugged into that..

I don't hate all of modernity but it goes too far. There was never a need to go past Windows Seven, It went backwards from that point.
    The present system is no better than DOS on a 1988 machine. I'm probably too old to learn how to use a Mac at this point.

Some tech is OK. K Cups work for me, since after breakfast, I'm the only one drinking coffee. Are K-Cups considered high technology? What the fuck do I know?
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-19-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,175 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I have a land line. If you want to call when when I'm at home, you'd need to have the unlisted land line number and you'd need to use it.
    I'm not likely to answer my cell phone at home where it would, either turned on or off, be on the charger.
    Indeed, the voice mail message if I don't pick up is....."Please call me on my land line." I don't offer the number.

My cell phone is predominantly for making the blue tooth phone in my car work. Essentially, then, it's replacing an old fashioned car phone, only it's no longer a rare luxury.

Only four contacts on my cell phone have a uniquely identifiable ring tone: my home land line, my wife's cell, my son's cell, and my daughter's cell.
    There used to be more but it's down to that. [I suppose that if I has a girlfriend or mistress, she'd have a ring tone as well, but I'm way past having the energy for that.

I get the same generic ring for everybody else, so if I'm not expecting a call, I don't trip over myself to answer a generic ringtone.
    Most of the time, however, it's just the blue tooth in the car waking up. Except in the summer when I drive the old Corvette. That has no GPS, no backup camera, and no blue teeth of any kind.
    It's an old man's toy, not a real practical car, and it's only for sunny days because I can no longer get in or out of it with the top up..

I still have cable television in addition to a few modern streaming services. Since most of what I watch is on streaming, it's almost like setting to fire to the money spent on premium channels,
    but I keep hoping that HBO or Showtime will some day have something good on it again.

My wi fi at home is for listening to podcasts on the tablets. My home is wired with an ethernet network, just as if this were 1995, and the computers are plugged into that..

I don't hate all of modernity but it goes too far. There was never a need to go past Windows Seven, It went backwards from that point.
    The present system is no better than DOS on a 1988 machine. I'm probably too old to learn how to use a Mac at this point.

Some tech is OK. K Cups work for me, since after breakfast, I'm the only one drinking coffee. Are K-Cups considered high technology? What the fuck do I know?
    I am like you in many ways.

But, I do keep up with the latest and greatest laptop technology that serves my several small business interests, as well as all of my entertainment at home.

I also have the IP phone connection as you do, and only use my cellphone as a telephone and very little text.

If Youtube don't have it- I probably don't need it or want to watch it anyway. LOL!

I do have cable TV, basic service and a high speed internet connection.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

NiftyNiblick (08-19-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I prefer B Cups. (anything over a mouthful is a waste)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    You're probably making a joke, Jack, but there is a little truth to that.

Massive, often augmented breasts look really good under clothes.
    Live and in person, however, smaller breasts look every bit as nice or more.

Have you noticed that?

[Understand that I'm basically working from memory, here.]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Jack (08-19-2021)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

You sound like my brother. He did, otoh, get rid of their landline in favor of cell only. But his phone confuses him and he often butt-dials me then seems puzzled that my voice is coming out of the couch cushions. lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    You sound like my brother. He did, otoh, get rid of their landline in favor of cell only. But his phone confuses him and he often butt-dials me then seems puzzled that my voice is coming out of the couch cushions. lol
    Perhaps if your voice occasionally came out of MY couch cushions, Owl, the Gestapo wouldn't take me so much for granted!
    But all kidding aside, tech comes hard to geriatrics with no patience to learn new things.

Yet the things that are totally passive and require little personal involvement are generally pleasing to me. GPS and backup cameras are a good example of those.
    And there now exists at least a couple of generations who never got up to change the channel or adjust the volume.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You're probably making a joke, Jack, but there is a little truth to that.

Massive, often augmented breasts look really good under clothes.
    Live and in person, however, smaller breasts look every bit as nice or more.

Have you noticed that?

[Understand that I'm basically working from memory, here.]
    Yes. Yes it was an attempt at humor.

Plastic tits ... look plastic. Total turn off. I think women like them, because they think men like Big Tits. Plastic tits = Plastic person. (I don't even like discussing it)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes. Yes it was an attempt at humor.

Plastic tits ... look plastic. Total turn off. I think women like them, because they think men like Big Tits. Plastic tits = Plastic person. (I don't even like discussing it)
    I am a casual friend of Tony Ferrara, the women's designer. He's probably retired by now as he's pushing eighty.
    He says that there was a period when they couldn't use any normal size samples in the shows.
    The women were painfully thin, but being so, they didn't have sufficient body fat to have even moderately ample breasts.
    Thus they had augmented breasts--not huge ones--but still they were like Barbie. They had a shape that simply didn't exist in nature.
    Thus no normal sizes that would actual turn up on shop shelves could be used in the shows.
    They actually had to make alterations right there at the show venues.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am a casual friend of Tony Ferrara, the women's designer. He's probably retired by now as he's pushing eighty.
    He says that there was a period when they couldn't use any normal size samples in the shows.
    The women were painfully thin, but being so, they didn't have sufficient body fat to have even moderately ample breasts.
    Thus they had augmented breasts--not huge ones--but still they were like Barbie. They had a shape that simply didn't exist in nature.
    Thus no normal sizes that would actual turn up on shop shelves could be used in the shows.
    They actually had to make alterations right there at the show venues.
    I have a friend named Chip. He's elderly. He's like me. We both like our women naked. I was never into the 'clothes' thing. I like the variety and natural beauty of the female form. Chip says he likes them naked too.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Firmness and shape are under rated
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Melchizedek = Michael For This Post:

Jack (08-19-2021)

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

I have a friend named Chip. He's elderly. He's like me. We both like our women naked. I was never into the 'clothes' thing. I like the variety and natural beauty of the female form. Chip says he likes them naked too.
    So you and Chip like to be naked!
    "Not that there's anything wrong with that"!
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by How bout dem Cowboys View Post
    Firmness and shape are under rated
    Yes. How they hang is important.

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by How bout dem Cowboys View Post
    So you and Chip like to be naked!
    "Not that there's anything wrong with that"!

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,923 Times in 13,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

I have a land line. It's for my answering machine so I can screen calls and get messages that are actually useful too. I also use it for fax work--yes, there are still companies that use fax machines...
    I have a 4G flip phone for mobile use... It's industrial grade so it can take a lot of abuse.

I have 24 ounce framing hammer to manage calls workers get on their smart phones after I tell them to turn them off while working...

I have a degree in computer programming and a deep background in the hardware side of computers. I consider them rat bastards and avoid doing lots of stuff on them that idiots think is "safe."