Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No, undocumented immigrants don’t commit more crime.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,543 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default No, undocumented immigrants don’t commit more crime.

It’s an article of faith in some corners of politics and the media: All those undocumented immigrants crossing the southern border are making crime much worse in the United States.

But new research gives the lie to that assertion. And, some border officials say, continuing to promote it will only lead to another racist massacre like the one that occurred in El Paso two years ago today.

The notion that undocumented immigrants bring crime has a healthy pedigree.

Former President Donald Trump in 2015 said, “They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”

Referring to “the staggering number” of “perpetrators of state and federal crimes,” the governors of Texas and Arizona in June appealed to all other states to send their cops to the border to help. Their counterparts in Ohio, Iowa and Nebraska complied. Ohio’s state troopers, at least, are still in Texas.

One problem, though: Peer-reviewed, largely overlooked research published in December shows that undocumented immigrants in Texas likely aren’t part of a crime wave. In fact, they’re much less likely to be arrested for serious crimes than are people born in the United States.

Between 2012 and 2018, U.S.-born people were twice as likely as the undocumented to be arrested for violent crime in Texas and two-and-a-half times as likely to be arrested for drug crimes.

That might show that undocumented immigrants are more concerned with the consequences of arrest than they are motivated to steal, Light said.

“They may be thinking, ‘I’m going to get deported if I have run-ins with the law,”

http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2021/08...c-d701361f864a
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Concart (08-03-2021), katzgar (08-03-2021), PoliTalker (08-03-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bobby bait thread. He'll be here soon.

The premise of the OP is completely correct. Catching a lunker like BulletBob is just icing on the cake.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-03-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,543 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Texas authorities have for years been making flimsy claims about lawlessness at the border that local law enforcement has angrily denied. But the Department of Public Safety, the director of which is appointed by the governor, seems unlikely to consider the University of Wisconsin study — even though it was done using the department’s own data.

El Paso is a border town and was recently ranked as the fourth safest large city in America,” Blanco said in an email. “The rhetoric around immigration, including calling immigrants criminals, is dangerous and wrong. As we come up on the second anniversary of the Walmart shooting, El Paso knows firsthand what that rhetoric can drive people to do.”
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello guno,

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    It’s an article of faith in some corners of politics and the media: All those undocumented immigrants crossing the southern border are making crime much worse in the United States.

But new research gives the lie to that assertion. And, some border officials say, continuing to promote it will only lead to another racist massacre like the one that occurred in El Paso two years ago today.

Former President Donald Trump in 2015 said, “They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”

Referring to “the staggering number” of “perpetrators of state and federal crimes,” the governors of Texas and Arizona in June appealed to all other states to send their cops to the border to help. Their counterparts in Ohio, Iowa and Nebraska complied. Ohio’s state troopers, at least, are still in Texas.

One problem, though: Peer-reviewed, largely overlooked research published in December shows that undocumented immigrants in Texas likely aren’t part of a crime wave. In fact, they’re much less likely to be arrested for serious crimes than are people born in the United States.

Between 2012 and 2018, U.S.-born people were twice as likely as the undocumented to be arrested for violent crime in Texas and two-and-a-half times as likely to be arrested for drug crimes.

That might show that undocumented immigrants are more concerned with the consequences of arrest than they are motivated to steal, Light said.

“They may be thinking, ‘I’m going to get deported if I have run-ins with the law,”

Makes total sense. If you were in a foreign country without papers, and very concerned about getting deported, the last thing you want to do is anything which might bring the attention of law enforcement and possible deportation.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-03-2021)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,923 Times in 13,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Of course they commit more crime. Every illegal in America is here illegally. Entering the US illegally is a crime and they committed it making 100% of them criminals for that act...

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello T. A. Gardner,

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Of course they commit more crime. Every illegal in America is here illegally. Entering the US illegally is a crime and they committed it making 100% of them criminals for that act...
    Circular logic.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello T. A. Gardner,
    Circular logic.
    No, a straight up fact. If you entered the US illegally as a foreign national, then you committed a crime. That's true for all illegal entrants.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Stringfellow Hawk (08-03-2021)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello T. A. Gardner,

No, a straight up fact. If you entered the US illegally as a foreign national, then you committed a crime. That's true for all illegal entrants.
    OK, got it. So the main 'crime being brought by illegals' is nothing more than the fact that they are here.

Makes total sense. If you were in a foreign country without papers, and very concerned about getting deported, the last thing you want to do is anything which might bring the attention of law enforcement and possible deportation.

So let's just look at every other crime besides illegal entry, shall we? What about rape, theft, robbery, murder, etc. The kind of crime implied by the oft repeated meme forwarded by Trump.

Natural born Americans commit more crimes besides illegal entry than illegal immigrants do.

And it is only logical that they are better behaved than Americans are. The last thing they want is the scrutiny of officials.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Illegal immigrants are not 'bringing crime.' In many cases they are escaping from it. They are leaving places that are very dangerous with unchecked gang activity and non existent to corrupt cops, often under personal threat of violence or family violence, to try to go to a place where they can just find work. Any low paying tough job will do, so they can create a safer life to take care of their family.

The guys hanging out on the corner by Home Depot are not there looking to get picked up to commit crimes. They just want work.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

When you pull shit out of your ass all you end up with is an empty ass. Prove it you inbred
    Why Biden? Because Fuck You that's why. Barack Obama has a Grammy, an Emmy, a Nobel Prize, 2 terms as President and a Twitter account.

Donald Trump has 2 impeachments.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 111 Times in 104 Posts

the minute they cross the border they have committed a crime, what a stupid ass thread

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 111 Times in 104 Posts

Hello T. A. Gardner,

Circular logic.
    Normal logic for everyone but whiney ass democrats

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,930 Times in 11,517 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Crossing the border illegally is a crime.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,565 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Immigrants commit less crime than regular Americans. They start more businesses. The economic success of America has always depended on immigrants.
    The right has pushed a dishonest and harmful meme to make rightys angrier. They are playing the right as suckers. It is very easy.

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello T. A. Gardner,

OK, got it. So the main 'crime being brought by illegals' is nothing more than the fact that they are here.

So let's just look at every other crime besides illegal entry, shall we? What about rape, theft, robbery, murder, etc. The kind of crime implied by the oft repeated meme forwarded by Trump.

Natural born Americans commit more crimes besides illegal entry than illegal immigrants do.

And it is only logical that they are better behaved than Americans are. The last thing they want is the scrutiny of officials.
    That would be a 'starter' crime. Then toss onto the list obtaining a job using either a phony or stolen SSN, they may have to lie about their name and other personal information for the same reason, etc. So, illegals have now committed more crimes in order to just continue to live and work in the US.