Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when home building takes shortcuts that make no sense

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Default when home building takes shortcuts that make no sense

having bought my very first home 6 weeks ago, I came upon an issue today that belies belief. the closet space that holds my AC/furnace has a 24 inch doorway and the unit takes a 20x25x1 air filter............but to make things interesting, the morons put the unit in wrong, so I am forced to fit a 25 inch filter through a 24 inch doorway to fit in to the unit............................

i'm still not passed the idiocy to be angry
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    having bought my very first home 6 weeks ago, I came upon an issue today that belies belief. the closet space that holds my AC/furnace has a 24 inch doorway and the unit takes a 20x25x1 air filter............but to make things interesting, the morons put the unit in wrong, so I am forced to fit a 25 inch filter through a 24 inch doorway to fit in to the unit............................

Usually the AC/Furnace sits on a platform above the Return Air. There's usually a standard Grille in a wall at the bottom. Sometimes, not recommended, they install the Return Air in the ceiling.
    Look around, do you see a Grille anywhere? They intentionally make it easy for 'Johnny Homeowner' to change Filters.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Usually the AC/Furnace sits on a platform above the Return Air. There's usually a standard Grille in a wall at the bottom. Sometimes, not recommended, they install the Return Air in the ceiling.
    Look around, do you see a Grille anywhere? They intentionally make it easy for 'Johnny Homeowner' to change Filters.
    its on the bottom. the grill and flap door to install the filter is there. the filter is bigger than the actual doorway that you open to access the unit.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

its on the bottom. the grill and flap door to install the filter is there. the filter is bigger than the actual doorway that you open to access the unit.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Air Filters come in different sizes.
    I have a 20X24 downstairs and a 20X20 upstairs.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 163 Times in 155 Posts

Having a hard time visualizing what you're describing. You said closet door so I'm assuming a standard interior door, then you talk about the furnace filter opening. Is the filteropening right up behind the door?

Because otherwise I'd just say turn the damn filter to the side. I'm just imaging one of those videos of a dog holding a stick that's too big to fit through an opening.

Anyway dumb construction stuff is actually pretty common, a friend of mine has a side door that opens into the kitchen, and the oven is right up against the wall near it. In order to open the oven door, the door trim had to be removed so there's just no trim at a certain point to the floor.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Badguy For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-03-2021), Jack (08-02-2021)

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Badguy View Post
    Having a hard time visualizing what you're describing. You said closet door so I'm assuming a standard interior door, then you talk about the furnace filter opening. Is the filteropening right up behind the door?

Because otherwise I'd just say turn the damn filter to the side. I'm just imaging one of those videos of a dog holding a stick that's too big to fit through an opening.

Anyway dumb construction stuff is actually pretty common, a friend of mine has a side door that opens into the kitchen, and the oven is right up against the wall near it. In order to open the oven door, the door trim had to be removed so there's just no trim at a certain point to the floor.
    I'm not sure a Stove adjacent to a Wall is 'legal'. Building Codes have minimum dimensions that need to be met. This sounds like some 'Landlord Designer' at work.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

What happen to code enforcement??????????
    Lock Him Up

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Badguy View Post

"Of all the things that can go wrong with stoves, the most prevalent problem has to do with the “inventive” places cooks find to place hot pans. A minimum of 12 inches of landing space on one side of the stove, and another 15 inches on the other side, are the required landing area widths. As this is hardly enough room to set a single pot or pan, this should be considered an absolute bare minimum, with greater widths highly recommended."
    https://www.fix.com/blog/kitchen-design-best-practices/

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    What happen to code enforcement??????????
    I doubt the Landlord called for Inspection.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I doubt the Landlord called for Inspection.
    "having bought my very first home 6 weeks ago"
    I think he said that he purchased the home, but he didn't say if it was new construction.
    Lock Him Up

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

Jack (08-02-2021)

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    "having bought my very first home 6 weeks ago"
    I think he said that he purchased the home, but he didn't say if it was new construction.
    My response was to 'Mr. Badguy' and the Stove situation. I don't think any Builder wants his name on a House with a Stove next to a Wall. That has 'FIRE' written all over it.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My response was to 'Mr. Badguy' and the Stove situation. I don't think any Builder wants his name on a House with a Stove next to a Wall. That has 'FIRE' written all over it.
    That makes sense.
    Lock Him Up

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

Jack (08-02-2021)

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In my area if that happened to me I would call code enforcement.
    Lock Him Up

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

alright, this shouldn't be that hard to imagine, although I did take a picture but it won't seem to upload, but picture a closet type door in a hallway, where most AC units would be in............the width of that doorway is about 23 inches. Now, picture the AC unit inside....................the size of the filter is 25 inches.........