Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Religious Hypocrisy and Freedom of Speech

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Religious Hypocrisy and Freedom of Speech

Blatantly anti-Semitic literature is on sale in Cairo, just like many other Arab capitals. The BBC News website's Martin Patience reports on the apparent inconsistency in the Egyptian reaction to the Danish cartoons caricaturing the Prophet Muhammad.
    Two hundred metres from the Arab League's headquarters in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, there are two newspaper kiosks on the pavement.

They sell all sorts of Egyptian papers and magazines - including Hijab, a fashion monthly for religious Muslim women showing a cover-girl wearing the latest style of headscarf.

Passing customers can also buy books - trashy romance novels, computer guidebooks, and children's story books.

But on closer inspection, both kiosks openly stock the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a notorious anti-Semitic text that purports to be an account of Jewish plans to rule the world, but was actually written by Tsarist secret police in 1905.

They also sell Hitler's autobiography, Mein Kampf.

West accused

With protests continuing throughout the world over cartoons satirising the Prophet Mohammed, Arab League Secretary General Amr Mousa weighed into the crisis recently, accusing the West of operating "double standards" when it came to freedom of expression.
    "What about freedom of expression when anti-Semitism is involved?" asked Mr Mousa.

"Then it is not freedom of expression. Then it is a crime.

"But when Islam is insulted, certain powers... raise the issue of freedom of expression. Freedom of expression should be one yardstick, not two or three," he said.

But it's clear that some publishers in Egypt do not practise the kind of respect for religious groups that Mr Mousa is calling for from the West.

As numerous commentators have pointed out, in many Arab and Muslim countries anti-Semitism is widespread.

'Nothing to hide'

One of the newspaper sellers, Mohammed Ahmed, insists he has nothing to hide.

"People want to buy the books," says the 32-year-old. "Why shouldn't I sell them?"

He argues that selling the book is "freedom of expression and that liberty is the best way".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4701162.stm

How can these idiots claim FoS when it involves something they like, yet.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6087506.stm

Want to end FoS when they feel hurt feelings?
    Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

Friedrich Nietzsche

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Easy answer to that... they are muslim. Of course, we do have our Jerry Falwells to contend with.

Immie
    Here's to the end of our two leading "tyrannical" political parties and the restoration of our government of the people, by the people, for the people.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Easy answer to that... they are muslim. Of course, we do have our Jerry Falwells to contend with.

I don't think this is a exclusively Muslim problem. I remember the Christian groups campaigning to stop the BBC broadcasting 'Jerry Springer, the musical' because it offended Christian sensibilities....
    Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

Friedrich Nietzsche

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AnyOldIron View Post

I don't think this is a exclusively Muslim problem. I remember the Christian groups campaigning to stop the BBC broadcasting 'Jerry Springer, the musical' because it offended Christian sensibilities....
    Which is why I added this: "Of course, we do have our Jerry Falwells to contend with."

It's not exclusively Muslim, however, it IS much more prominent in the Muslim, or should I say Theocratic?, community.

By the way, there is always room for one more hypocrit come join us anytime.

Immie
    Here's to the end of our two leading "tyrannical" political parties and the restoration of our government of the people, by the people, for the people.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I know what you mean, the Muslims do seem to take offence at the drop of a hat these days....

I guess Christianity is lucky that it has been subjected to an Enlightenment that has mellowed the mainstream slightly.

Whilst I contend that Christianity is in need of continuing enlightenment, the Muslims have a dire need for it...

Friedrich Nietzsche

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Never heard of Jerry Springer the Musical...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Me neither. Makes me nauseous just thinking about it....

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think I'd object on artistic visualization grounds.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Muslims are like liberals, freedom of speech for all who agree with me!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    I agree but I know of some right wing preachers who are not any different.

Immie

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Its a British Comedy, quite funny. It does have a gay Jesus in a giant nappy on the Springer show, which annoyed the Christians....

Friedrich Nietzsche

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Toby, what are you blathering on about?

Have you ever made a substantiated statement on these boards?

Friedrich Nietzsche

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnyOldIron View Post

Its a British Comedy, quite funny. It does have a gay Jesus in a giant nappy on the Springer show, which annoyed the Christians....
    I'd watch it.

I remember when the church I grew up in were upset about Jesus Christ Superstar.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I'd watch it.

I remember when the church I grew up in were upset about Jesus Christ Superstar.
    From the sounds of it, I would not watch it... but not because of any religious "uproar" about it. I am no fan of Jerry Springer, why would I watch a musical about him? However, More power to those who would.

Immie

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am no fan of Jerry Springer, why would I watch a musical about him? However, More power to those who would.

It's a comedy, a spoof, Manny.....

Spoofs are big in the UK at the minute, as you can tell with the Borat /Ali G thing... lol

Friedrich Nietzsche