Thread: I recommend owing taxes instead of getting a return

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I recommend owing taxes instead of getting a return

That 5,750 underpayment check for 2008 I just wrote the IRS helps me to remember how resentful I am of the disgusting government waste and tax cheats we see daily who run the governement.

Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Don't worry, I probably will. I have for 4 out of the 6 years I have been married.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Chapdog View Post
    That 5,750 underpayment check for 2008 I just wrote the IRS helps me to remember how resentful I am of the disgusting government waste and tax cheats we see daily who run the governement.

What happened to not paying this year? I thought the "tax cheats" were going to be your excuse for getting out of it.

Seriously though, we are getting back quite a bit this year, but that's because I am not working and my husband got a sizable education deduction. I think I'd rather work, have the extra income, and owe at the end. Oh, and this year we weren't hit with the huge cap gains taxes because all his stock options were under water in 08...think they're even worse now.
    "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TexasMeg View Post
    What happened to not paying this year? I thought the "tax cheats" were going to be your excuse for getting out of it.

Seriously though, we are getting back quite a bit this year, but that's because I am not working and my husband got a sizable education deduction. I think I'd rather work, have the extra income, and owe at the end. Oh, and this year we weren't hit with the huge cap gains taxes because all his stock options were under water in 08...think they're even worse now.
    well i did pretty much everything I could get away with But my problem is this year was my biggest combined income year yet and frankly I don't get any credits anymore. No student loan interest, no day care credit, no education expense credits.. Nothing. Overall we paid over well over 25k in federal and state taxes.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,740 Times in 27,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,587 Times in 18,176 Posts
    Blog Entries

You must have made nearly 200,000

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 24 Posts

It's kind of tricky juggling the way we handle deductions, but my wife and I managed the past two years to draw almost even - owe a bit to the feds, get some back from the state. Last year the state return was slightly greater than the fed payment. This year the fed payment is a little higher. Owing too much can result in penalties. And getting a bunch back makes no sense - if you want a saving account, get one that pays an interest rate.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I would make certain to owe them money instead of getting a refund, because i would not be the least bit surprised if they held back sending people their refund checks some day....especially if they are broke, like california had to hold back government payroll checks...or give vouchers for them...

it's always better to owe them...for lots of reasons.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Care4all View Post
    I would make certain to owe them money instead of getting a refund, because i would not be the least bit surprised if they held back sending people their refund checks some day....especially if they are broke, like california had to hold back government payroll checks...or give vouchers for them...

The recommended (at least according to the CPA's I know) thing to do is to strive to be as close in your withholding taxes to the tax liability every year so that you neither owe them a big check come April 15th nor do they owe you a check. Of course, that is generally not something that is easy to do, but if you know what you are doing it can be achieved.

Immie
    Here's to the end of our two leading "tyrannical" political parties and the restoration of our government of the people, by the people, for the people.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Care4all View Post

Yah im gonna adjust down my W2 by 2 or 3 exemptions this week. Trying to get it close to me owing about 1-3k at the end of the year.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    You must have made nearly 200,000
    Not quite but other things are going on like Short term cap gains and not very much mortgage interest anymore as im about 8years away from payoff.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

My goal has been to owe $50 or less each year. I get close but I've never quite hit the goal. The closest I have been was $64.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

I'm getting back for the second year after 5 being in Chappy's boat.
    That's was the main reason I used to be a republican, now the war, ghanja, and civil rights have converted me.
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone