Members banned from this thread: katzgar


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: This whole thing with masks is really getting bizarre,

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    29,623
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14,090 Times in 8,973 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2,436 Times in 2,266 Posts

    Default This whole thing with masks is really getting bizarre,

    if I have it correct, the big part of the new CDC recommendations are for vaccinated people in certain circumstances to wear masks since they may carry the virus and spread it to unvaccinated others.

    Seems logical to protect others, yet, on the other hand, those that are bitching the most over mask wearing, comparing it to Nazism, Communism, Fascism, are the same Tucker audience who are not vaccinated and stand the best chance of catching the virus from unmasked people

    Doesn’t that appear flat out stupid? They are campaigning against something designed largely to help them, and when that something is a deadly virus spreading like chickenpox, their thinking is absurd. I am almost reaching the point of saying f*ck em, let them catch the virus, they were the same ones preaching natural herd immunity, so let them deal with the consequences

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

    guno (07-30-2021), Phantasmal (07-30-2021)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    3,469
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked 973 Times in 780 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 49 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I use a chain-link fence to keep mosquito's out of my yard ... same effect as wearing a mask to keep out the plague.

  4. The Following User Groans At Grumpy For This Awful Post:

    Nordberg (07-30-2021)

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy For This Post:

    Into the Night (07-31-2021), Lionfish (07-30-2021), MAGA (07-30-2021)

  6. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    29,623
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14,090 Times in 8,973 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2,436 Times in 2,266 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I use a chain-link fence to keep mosquito's out of my yard ... same effect as wearing a mask to keep out the plague.
    As I said, bizarre, again, makes one wonder why those vaccinated should even make the effort to help them avoid the virus

  7. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    3,469
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked 973 Times in 780 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 49 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I agree

  8. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    51,629
    Thanks
    85,494
    Thanked 41,791 Times in 26,641 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,038 Times in 3,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    if I have it correct, the big part of the new CDC recommendations are for vaccinated people in certain circumstances to wear masks since they may carry the virus and spread it to unvaccinated others.

    Seems logical to protect others, yet, on the other hand, those that are bitching the most over mask wearing, comparing it to Nazism, Communism, Fascism, are the same Tucker audience who are not vaccinated and stand the best chance of catching the virus from unmasked people

    Doesn’t that appear flat out stupid? They are campaigning against something designed largely to help them, and when that something is a deadly virus spreading like chickenpox, their thinking is absurd. I am almost reaching the point of saying f*ck em, let them catch the virus, they were the same ones preaching natural herd immunity, so let them deal with the consequences
    I think that the experts need to make it perfectly clear that vaccinated people ARE NOT SPREADING THE VIRUS UNLESS THEY ARE INFECTED. Just saying "there is evidence that the vaccinated can infect others" is incorrect. All that serves to do is give the antivax covidiots more ammo.

    As for the masks, they need to clarify that as well. Personally, if we lived in a hotspot like FL or MO or other areas, I'd wear the mask even though I'm fully vaccinated. It is possible to have been infected and show no symptoms, so better to be safe for the sake of our communities. I would also avoid crowded venues, especially those indoors.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” -- Mark Twain

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    51,629
    Thanks
    85,494
    Thanked 41,791 Times in 26,641 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,038 Times in 3,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I use a chain-link fence to keep mosquito's out of my yard ... same effect as wearing a mask to keep out the plague.
    You are right; the typical fabric or paper mask most of us use don't do much to prevent infection for the wearer. You need an N95 or better for that.

    The purpose of the masks is to keep you from sharing a large viral cloud if you sneeze or cough. Yeah, some "bugs" will still escape, but not as bad as if you had no mask at all.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” -- Mark Twain

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    dukkha (07-30-2021)

  11. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    36,313
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 15,792 Times in 11,008 Posts
    Groans
    4,326
    Groaned 3,561 Times in 3,309 Posts

    Default

    Masks work. It is just that easy. The new Covid is much more transmissible. We should do all we can to stop it. The right-wingers are mostly responsible for Covid staying around to develop this new and worse strain. There is nothing saying Covod could not morph into an even more deadly form.
    Can't righys just get the vaccine and help this pandemic end?
    The new Covid is impacting younger and younger people. So rightys hand waving it away by saying old people who would soon die anyway makes it Ok, has zero basis. There are 30-year-olds suffering it now and weeping because they could have gotten the vaccine.

  12. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    38,930
    Thanks
    11,458
    Thanked 21,574 Times in 15,033 Posts
    Groans
    241
    Groaned 1,513 Times in 1,429 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    if I have it correct, the big part of the new CDC recommendations are for vaccinated people in certain circumstances to wear masks since they may carry the virus and spread it to unvaccinated others.
    what percentage? the unvaxxed are a much lartger threat to the unvaxxed then vaxxed are.

    delta has a much higher load even the vaxxed, but we can see the hospitatization rate and death is lower
    from delta

    even if you are vaxxed and get it, the symptoms just arent there like original COVID

    delta is doing what virus always do. higher viral as the virus mutates, but much less dangerous

  13. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    38,930
    Thanks
    11,458
    Thanked 21,574 Times in 15,033 Posts
    Groans
    241
    Groaned 1,513 Times in 1,429 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    You are right; the typical fabric or paper mask most of us use don't do much to prevent infection for the wearer. You need an N95 or better for that.

    The purpose of the masks is to keep you from sharing a large viral cloud if you sneeze or cough. Yeah, some "bugs" will still escape, but not as bad as if you had no mask at all.
    truth correct.
    but if im vaxxed the possibility of developing symptoms is much lower then unvaxxed.
    the vaxxes have a 95% ( 2 shot) effectiveness

    even the CDC says the possibility of transmission is "rare" from vaxxed

    I dont wear s mask unless required, my sister with compromised immune wears it to medical places
    where coming acrodss other compromised health or comorbidity is more likely -so yes wear a mask
    Otherwise she does social distancing -effective

    But if you wear a mask for protection, you aren't doing anything to increase that.

    get vaxxed, stop worrying -wear a mask in medical facilities. going to the store not so much

  14. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    51,629
    Thanks
    85,494
    Thanked 41,791 Times in 26,641 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,038 Times in 3,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    truth correct.
    but if im vaxxed the possibility of developing symptoms is much lower then unvaxxed.
    the vaxxes have a 95% ( 2 shot) effectiveness

    even the CDC says the possibility of transmission is "rare" from vaxxed

    I dont wear s mask unless required, my sister with compromised immune wears it to medical places
    where coming acrodss other compromised health or comorbidity is more likely -so yes wear a mask
    Otherwise she does social distancing -effective

    But if you wear a mask for protection, you aren't doing anything to increase that.

    get vaxxed, stop worrying -wear a mask in medical facilities. going to the store not so much
    Exactly what we are doing here. However, our case rate is extremely low in this area, which is twice the size of the state of Vermont. We had only 57 cases reported for all of last week. If I lived where they were reporting 16,000 new infections per DAY (FL), I would wear a mask when out in public, shop at low volume times, and ditto for dining out. No reason to go back in hiding, which I didn't do anyways, even last year. Just be safe, be sensible, don't expose yourself unnecessarily, and you'll be fine.

    I really hate seeing these surges because eventually it will mean more lockdowns for seniors living in group homes, kids possibly having to return to virtual learning, and shortages due to shutdowns of food and product processing plants. All because we have far too many ignorant, selfish covidiots.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” -- Mark Twain

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    dukkha (07-30-2021)

  16. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    38,930
    Thanks
    11,458
    Thanked 21,574 Times in 15,033 Posts
    Groans
    241
    Groaned 1,513 Times in 1,429 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Exactly what we are doing here. However, our case rate is extremely low in this area, which is twice the size of the state of Vermont. We had only 57 cases reported for all of last week. If I lived where they were reporting 16,000 new infections per DAY (FL), I would wear a mask when out in public, shop at low volume times, and ditto for dining out. No reason to go back in hiding, which I didn't do anyways, even last year. Just be safe, be sensible, don't expose yourself unnecessarily, and you'll be fine.

    I really hate seeing these surges because eventually it will mean more lockdowns for seniors living in group homes, kids possibly having to return to virtual learning, and shortages due to shutdowns of food and product processing plants. All because we have far too many ignorant, selfish covidiots.
    teachers get vaxxed - no more need for virtual learing.
    In fact here in FLA kids have been in school the entire fall semester with no increases more then normal for illness to kids or teachers.

    Agree on the nursing homes/senior citizens -by definition they are at risk

  17. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    12,861
    Thanks
    841
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 4,580 Posts
    Groans
    100
    Groaned 1,303 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    if I have it correct, the big part of the new CDC recommendations are for vaccinated people in certain circumstances to wear masks since they may carry the virus and spread it to unvaccinated others.

    Seems logical to protect others, yet, on the other hand, those that are bitching the most over mask wearing, comparing it to Nazism, Communism, Fascism, are the same Tucker audience who are not vaccinated and stand the best chance of catching the virus from unmasked people

    Doesn’t that appear flat out stupid? They are campaigning against something designed largely to help them, and when that something is a deadly virus spreading like chickenpox, their thinking is absurd. I am almost reaching the point of saying f*ck em, let them catch the virus, they were the same ones preaching natural herd immunity, so let them deal with the consequences
    This was my wife's argument and it isn't without merit. But there is additional fallout. And that fallout will become more severe as vaccine requirements start to kick in. I'm not sure what their level of defiance is, but it's obvious they don't care about anyone but themselves. Certainly they don't care about the country as a whole.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (07-30-2021)

  19. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    12,861
    Thanks
    841
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 4,580 Posts
    Groans
    100
    Groaned 1,303 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I think that the experts need to make it perfectly clear that vaccinated people ARE NOT SPREADING THE VIRUS UNLESS THEY ARE INFECTED. Just saying "there is evidence that the vaccinated can infect others" is incorrect. All that serves to do is give the antivax covidiots more ammo.

    As for the masks, they need to clarify that as well. Personally, if we lived in a hotspot like FL or MO or other areas, I'd wear the mask even though I'm fully vaccinated. It is possible to have been infected and show no symptoms, so better to be safe for the sake of our communities. I would also avoid crowded venues, especially those indoors.
    I agree. You have to spell this out clearly and succinctly, because we are giving them ammunition. I've heard twice now on this forum that vaccinated people are MORE likely to infect others than the unvaxxed. Which is, of course, completely wrong.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (07-30-2021)

  21. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    49,590
    Thanks
    1,041
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    1,008
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Exactly what we are doing here. However, our case rate is extremely low in this area, which is twice the size of the state of Vermont. We had only 57 cases reported for all of last week. If I lived where they were reporting 16,000 new infections per DAY (FL), I would wear a mask when out in public, shop at low volume times, and ditto for dining out. No reason to go back in hiding, which I didn't do anyways, even last year. Just be safe, be sensible, don't expose yourself unnecessarily, and you'll be fine.

    I really hate seeing these surges because eventually it will mean more lockdowns for seniors living in group homes, kids possibly having to return to virtual learning, and shortages due to shutdowns of food and product processing plants. All because we have far too many ignorant, selfish covidiots.
    In a combat situation it is about 16 times better to do something useful and violent right away than to wait and figure out something even more useful and violent later.
    “whenever you put your faith in big government for any reason, sooner or later you end up an apologist for mass murder.”

  22. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    51,629
    Thanks
    85,494
    Thanked 41,791 Times in 26,641 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,038 Times in 3,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    I agree. You have to spell this out clearly and succinctly, because we are giving them ammunition. I've heard twice now on this forum that vaccinated people are MORE likely to infect others than the unvaxxed. Which is, of course, completely wrong.
    The Biden admin. needs to step up their game on this. All we can do is try to dispel nonsense like that, one covidiot at a time. Unfortunately they're no more apt to believe me, despite my education and experience, than they are to believe anything put out by non-Reichwing sources.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” -- Mark Twain

Similar Threads

  1. Cloth Masks Need To Be Replaced With Paper Masks.
    By PoliTalker in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 12-08-2020, 05:42 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2019, 12:42 PM
  3. This is getting really bizarre,
    By archives in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-16-2017, 10:27 PM
  4. APP - dish tv add zapper - a good thing or a bad thing
    By Don Quixote in forum Above Plain Politics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 07:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •