Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This whole thing with masks is really getting bizarre,

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Default This whole thing with masks is really getting bizarre,

if I have it correct, the big part of the new CDC recommendations are for vaccinated people in certain circumstances to wear masks since they may carry the virus and spread it to unvaccinated others.

Seems logical to protect others, yet, on the other hand, those that are bitching the most over mask wearing, comparing it to Nazism, Communism, Fascism, are the same Tucker audience who are not vaccinated and stand the best chance of catching the virus from unmasked people

Doesn’t that appear flat out stupid? They are campaigning against something designed largely to help them, and when that something is a deadly virus spreading like chickenpox, their thinking is absurd. I am almost reaching the point of saying f*ck em, let them catch the virus, they were the same ones preaching natural herd immunity, so let them deal with the consequences

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (07-30-2021), Phantasmal (07-30-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

I use a chain-link fence to keep mosquito's out of my yard ... same effect as wearing a mask to keep out the plague.

4. The Following User Groans At Grumpy For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (07-30-2021)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy For This Post:

Into the Night (07-31-2021), Lionfish (07-30-2021), Stringfellow Hawk (07-30-2021)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I use a chain-link fence to keep mosquito's out of my yard ... same effect as wearing a mask to keep out the plague.
    As I said, bizarre, again, makes one wonder why those vaccinated should even make the effort to help them avoid the virus

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,494 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    if I have it correct, the big part of the new CDC recommendations are for vaccinated people in certain circumstances to wear masks since they may carry the virus and spread it to unvaccinated others.

Seems logical to protect others, yet, on the other hand, those that are bitching the most over mask wearing, comparing it to Nazism, Communism, Fascism, are the same Tucker audience who are not vaccinated and stand the best chance of catching the virus from unmasked people

Doesn’t that appear flat out stupid? They are campaigning against something designed largely to help them, and when that something is a deadly virus spreading like chickenpox, their thinking is absurd. I am almost reaching the point of saying f*ck em, let them catch the virus, they were the same ones preaching natural herd immunity, so let them deal with the consequences
    I think that the experts need to make it perfectly clear that vaccinated people ARE NOT SPREADING THE VIRUS UNLESS THEY ARE INFECTED. Just saying "there is evidence that the vaccinated can infect others" is incorrect. All that serves to do is give the antivax covidiots more ammo.

As for the masks, they need to clarify that as well. Personally, if we lived in a hotspot like FL or MO or other areas, I'd wear the mask even though I'm fully vaccinated. It is possible to have been infected and show no symptoms, so better to be safe for the sake of our communities. I would also avoid crowded venues, especially those indoors.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    You are right; the typical fabric or paper mask most of us use don't do much to prevent infection for the wearer. You need an N95 or better for that.

The purpose of the masks is to keep you from sharing a large viral cloud if you sneeze or cough. Yeah, some "bugs" will still escape, but not as bad as if you had no mask at all.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

dukkha (07-30-2021)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,555 Times in 17,085 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Masks work. It is just that easy. The new Covid is much more transmissible. We should do all we can to stop it. The right-wingers are mostly responsible for Covid staying around to develop this new and worse strain. There is nothing saying Covod could not morph into an even more deadly form.
    Can't righys just get the vaccine and help this pandemic end?
    The new Covid is impacting younger and younger people. So rightys hand waving it away by saying old people who would soon die anyway makes it Ok, has zero basis. There are 30-year-olds suffering it now and weeping because they could have gotten the vaccine.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

what percentage? the unvaxxed are a much lartger threat to the unvaxxed then vaxxed are.

delta has a much higher load even the vaxxed, but we can see the hospitatization rate and death is lower
    from delta

even if you are vaxxed and get it, the symptoms just arent there like original COVID

delta is doing what virus always do. higher viral as the virus mutates, but much less dangerous

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    You are right; the typical fabric or paper mask most of us use don't do much to prevent infection for the wearer. You need an N95 or better for that.

The purpose of the masks is to keep you from sharing a large viral cloud if you sneeze or cough. Yeah, some "bugs" will still escape, but not as bad as if you had no mask at all.
    truth correct.
    but if im vaxxed the possibility of developing symptoms is much lower then unvaxxed.
    the vaxxes have a 95% ( 2 shot) effectiveness

even the CDC says the possibility of transmission is "rare" from vaxxed

I dont wear s mask unless required, my sister with compromised immune wears it to medical places
    where coming acrodss other compromised health or comorbidity is more likely -so yes wear a mask
    Otherwise she does social distancing -effective

But if you wear a mask for protection, you aren't doing anything to increase that.

get vaxxed, stop worrying -wear a mask in medical facilities. going to the store not so much

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    truth correct.
    but if im vaxxed the possibility of developing symptoms is much lower then unvaxxed.
    the vaxxes have a 95% ( 2 shot) effectiveness

even the CDC says the possibility of transmission is "rare" from vaxxed

I dont wear s mask unless required, my sister with compromised immune wears it to medical places
    where coming acrodss other compromised health or comorbidity is more likely -so yes wear a mask
    Otherwise she does social distancing -effective

But if you wear a mask for protection, you aren't doing anything to increase that.

get vaxxed, stop worrying -wear a mask in medical facilities. going to the store not so much
    Exactly what we are doing here. However, our case rate is extremely low in this area, which is twice the size of the state of Vermont. We had only 57 cases reported for all of last week. If I lived where they were reporting 16,000 new infections per DAY (FL), I would wear a mask when out in public, shop at low volume times, and ditto for dining out. No reason to go back in hiding, which I didn't do anyways, even last year. Just be safe, be sensible, don't expose yourself unnecessarily, and you'll be fine.

I really hate seeing these surges because eventually it will mean more lockdowns for seniors living in group homes, kids possibly having to return to virtual learning, and shortages due to shutdowns of food and product processing plants. All because we have far too many ignorant, selfish covidiots.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

dukkha (07-30-2021)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Exactly what we are doing here. However, our case rate is extremely low in this area, which is twice the size of the state of Vermont. We had only 57 cases reported for all of last week. If I lived where they were reporting 16,000 new infections per DAY (FL), I would wear a mask when out in public, shop at low volume times, and ditto for dining out. No reason to go back in hiding, which I didn't do anyways, even last year. Just be safe, be sensible, don't expose yourself unnecessarily, and you'll be fine.

I really hate seeing these surges because eventually it will mean more lockdowns for seniors living in group homes, kids possibly having to return to virtual learning, and shortages due to shutdowns of food and product processing plants. All because we have far too many ignorant, selfish covidiots.
    teachers get vaxxed - no more need for virtual learing.
    In fact here in FLA kids have been in school the entire fall semester with no increases more then normal for illness to kids or teachers.

Agree on the nursing homes/senior citizens -by definition they are at risk

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

This was my wife's argument and it isn't without merit. But there is additional fallout. And that fallout will become more severe as vaccine requirements start to kick in. I'm not sure what their level of defiance is, but it's obvious they don't care about anyone but themselves. Certainly they don't care about the country as a whole.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-30-2021)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think that the experts need to make it perfectly clear that vaccinated people ARE NOT SPREADING THE VIRUS UNLESS THEY ARE INFECTED. Just saying "there is evidence that the vaccinated can infect others" is incorrect. All that serves to do is give the antivax covidiots more ammo.

As for the masks, they need to clarify that as well. Personally, if we lived in a hotspot like FL or MO or other areas, I'd wear the mask even though I'm fully vaccinated. It is possible to have been infected and show no symptoms, so better to be safe for the sake of our communities. I would also avoid crowded venues, especially those indoors.
    I agree. You have to spell this out clearly and succinctly, because we are giving them ammunition. I've heard twice now on this forum that vaccinated people are MORE likely to infect others than the unvaxxed. Which is, of course, completely wrong.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-30-2021)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    I agree. You have to spell this out clearly and succinctly, because we are giving them ammunition. I've heard twice now on this forum that vaccinated people are MORE likely to infect others than the unvaxxed. Which is, of course, completely wrong.
    The Biden admin. needs to step up their game on this. All we can do is try to dispel nonsense like that, one covidiot at a time. Unfortunately they're no more apt to believe me, despite my education and experience, than they are to believe anything put out by non-Reichwing sources.