Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trump might destroy any GQP chances in 2022 as Republicans tire of election nonsense

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,474 Times in 3,395 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    The problem for the party really seems to come down to one person: Donald Trump. While he continues to be popular with most GOP voters, he also has a depressive effect on the party more broadly. According to the survey, 76% of Republicans still view him favorably. But when it comes to his level of involvement in the party, Republicans are torn: 47% want Trump to have "a lot" of influence over the direction the party, 34% say a little, and 18% say they don't want Trump to have any influence at all.

That 18% sliver of GOP voters who'd like to rid the entire party of Trump has remained notably consistent since the beginning of the year. In February, a Politico/Morning Consult poll found what while 59% of Republicans wanted Trump to play a "major role" in the party, 17% said they "no longer" wanted to him play any role.

Interviews conducted for the AP survey suggest Trump's divisiveness and baseless election lies could depress GOP voting on both ends of the Trump spectrum—among his most devout followers and never-Trumpers alike.

Nicholas Blethrow, a 28-year old Republican who lives in Orange County, California, called the party "pretty much a disaster" and said its continuing efforts to overturn the 2020 election were "ridiculous."

“Clearly there’s a lot of people that enjoy him. But I don’t think it’s good,” Blethrow said.

Reedsville, Wisconsin, native Dennis Herzog, 36, identified as a staunch Republican but also said he has found the constant tension between the parties exhausting and is dismayed by “the whole system in general.”

“It’s nonstop,” Herzog said. “I don’t care who is in office. Just do what’s right for the people and stop picking certain sides.”

The repeated takeaway from polling about Trump is the fact that while he remains a powerful figure in the Republican Party, his dominant presence also poses real challenges for the GOP. While Washington Republicans keep trying to will Trump into talking about the future, his constant harping on the 2020 election continues to sow doubt in the electoral system among his followers. At the same time, some noteworthy sliver of GOP voters wishes he would just dry up and go away, even as their party goes all in on his antics.

Ideally, at this point, GOP voters would be galvanizing against President Joe Biden, but Trump is still hogging the spotlight—and that could prove detrimental to GOP hopes heading into 2022.

https://apnews.com/article/ap-poll-t...21f86e991ee197

if only 2-3% of Trump voters peel off from the cult and vote for Democrats, it would be a landslide. already 18% can't stand the fuck

Eighteen percent is a big number actually. His pre-election favorability among Republicans was 90 percent, and he lost with that.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/...ald-trump.aspx
    "Give pearls away and rubies but keep your fancy free."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-30-2021), reagansghost (07-30-2021)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello martin,

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Eighteen percent is a big number actually. His pre-election favorability among Republicans was 90 percent, and he lost with that.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/...ald-trump.aspx
    Excellent point!

But, of course, we cannot count chickens. Hillary was a near shoe-in until Comey.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,834 Times in 17,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    DeSantis has twenty suitcases full of Covid baggage, and his attempts to hide the numbers are being exposed even as we speak. I don't believe DeSantis will ever win another election. I guess we'll see.
    He can win in Florida. They vote for the people who hurt them the most. It seems that population is particularly susceptible to being conned by the rich. Rick Scott was leading a healthcare company that cheated Soc. Security out of tons of money They got the biggest fine in history. So the aging people of Florida helped him become governor and then senator. Desantis should stay in Florida. They will vote him into any spot he wants.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

reagansghost (07-30-2021)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Concart,

They love him. I hope you're right, but I remain rightly concerned.
    They love Trump more. DeSantis isn't going to take him on. So DeSantis has two major strikes against him. He can't run against Donald (who obviously wants the job again), and he has to justify his Covid response. I really think it's too much. I hope I'm right.

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    He can win in Florida. They vote for the people who hurt them the most. It seems that population is particularly susceptible to being conned by the rich. Rick Scott was leading a healthcare company that cheated Soc. Security out of tons of money They got the biggest fine in history. So the aging people of Florida helped him become governor and then senator. Desantis should stay in Florida. They will vote him into any spot he wants.
    this is what is so galling, the way right wingers, especially MAGA's, routinely vote for those ripping them off.....the candidate only needs to feed them ONE or maybe two chunks of red meat, done deal

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Concart,

They love Trump more. DeSantis isn't going to take him on. So DeSantis has two major strikes against him. He can't run against Donald (who obviously wants the job again), and he has to justify his Covid response. I really think it's too much. I hope I'm right.
    Hope so too.

DeSantis is obviously positioning in case Donald ends up in prison. 2022 FL Gov race will be the test run there. He'll likely face Crist, a former Republican FL Gov who could draw off the moral Republican voters. If COVID response is going to sink DeSantis, it will happen then. If DeSantis wins in 2022, And Trump is taken out by legal troubles, look out in 2024. The right will rally behind DeSantis.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-30-2021)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Concart,

Hope so too.

DeSantis is obviously positioning in case Donald ends up in prison. 2022 FL Gov race will be the test run there. He'll likely face Crist, a former Republican FL Gov who could draw off the moral Republican voters. If COVID response is going to sink DeSantis, it will happen then. If DeSantis wins in 2022, And Trump is taken out by legal troubles, look out in 2024. The right will rally behind DeSantis.
    Yep. I don't think he will win.

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Concart,

Yep. I don't think he will win.
    Let's hope not.

2022 contains the zinger that if DeSantis can't beat Crist, it torpedoes any chances for 2024.

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,904 Times in 21,666 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    The problem for the party really seems to come down to one person: Donald Trump. While he continues to be popular with most GOP voters, he also has a depressive effect on the party more broadly. According to the survey, 76% of Republicans still view him favorably. But when it comes to his level of involvement in the party, Republicans are torn: 47% want Trump to have "a lot" of influence over the direction the party, 34% say a little, and 18% say they don't want Trump to have any influence at all.

That 18% sliver of GOP voters who'd like to rid the entire party of Trump has remained notably consistent since the beginning of the year. In February, a Politico/Morning Consult poll found what while 59% of Republicans wanted Trump to play a "major role" in the party, 17% said they "no longer" wanted to him play any role.

Interviews conducted for the AP survey suggest Trump's divisiveness and baseless election lies could depress GOP voting on both ends of the Trump spectrum—among his most devout followers and never-Trumpers alike.

Nicholas Blethrow, a 28-year old Republican who lives in Orange County, California, called the party "pretty much a disaster" and said its continuing efforts to overturn the 2020 election were "ridiculous."

“Clearly there’s a lot of people that enjoy him. But I don’t think it’s good,” Blethrow said.

Reedsville, Wisconsin, native Dennis Herzog, 36, identified as a staunch Republican but also said he has found the constant tension between the parties exhausting and is dismayed by “the whole system in general.”

“It’s nonstop,” Herzog said. “I don’t care who is in office. Just do what’s right for the people and stop picking certain sides.”

The repeated takeaway from polling about Trump is the fact that while he remains a powerful figure in the Republican Party, his dominant presence also poses real challenges for the GOP. While Washington Republicans keep trying to will Trump into talking about the future, his constant harping on the 2020 election continues to sow doubt in the electoral system among his followers. At the same time, some noteworthy sliver of GOP voters wishes he would just dry up and go away, even as their party goes all in on his antics.

Ideally, at this point, GOP voters would be galvanizing against President Joe Biden, but Trump is still hogging the spotlight—and that could prove detrimental to GOP hopes heading into 2022.

https://apnews.com/article/ap-poll-t...21f86e991ee197

if only 2-3% of Trump voters peel off from the cult and vote for Democrats, it would be a landslide. already 18% can't stand the fuck
    I would not count on it but it’s certainly possible. Imagine gains in both the house and senate!

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!