Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump might destroy any GQP chances in 2022 as Republicans tire of election nonsense

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Trump might destroy any GQP chances in 2022 as Republicans tire of election nonsense

The problem for the party really seems to come down to one person: Donald Trump. While he continues to be popular with most GOP voters, he also has a depressive effect on the party more broadly. According to the survey, 76% of Republicans still view him favorably. But when it comes to his level of involvement in the party, Republicans are torn: 47% want Trump to have "a lot" of influence over the direction the party, 34% say a little, and 18% say they don't want Trump to have any influence at all.

That 18% sliver of GOP voters who'd like to rid the entire party of Trump has remained notably consistent since the beginning of the year. In February, a Politico/Morning Consult poll found what while 59% of Republicans wanted Trump to play a "major role" in the party, 17% said they "no longer" wanted to him play any role.

Interviews conducted for the AP survey suggest Trump's divisiveness and baseless election lies could depress GOP voting on both ends of the Trump spectrum—among his most devout followers and never-Trumpers alike.

Nicholas Blethrow, a 28-year old Republican who lives in Orange County, California, called the party "pretty much a disaster" and said its continuing efforts to overturn the 2020 election were "ridiculous."

“Clearly there’s a lot of people that enjoy him. But I don’t think it’s good,” Blethrow said.

Reedsville, Wisconsin, native Dennis Herzog, 36, identified as a staunch Republican but also said he has found the constant tension between the parties exhausting and is dismayed by “the whole system in general.”

“It’s nonstop,” Herzog said. “I don’t care who is in office. Just do what’s right for the people and stop picking certain sides.”

The repeated takeaway from polling about Trump is the fact that while he remains a powerful figure in the Republican Party, his dominant presence also poses real challenges for the GOP. While Washington Republicans keep trying to will Trump into talking about the future, his constant harping on the 2020 election continues to sow doubt in the electoral system among his followers. At the same time, some noteworthy sliver of GOP voters wishes he would just dry up and go away, even as their party goes all in on his antics.

Ideally, at this point, GOP voters would be galvanizing against President Joe Biden, but Trump is still hogging the spotlight—and that could prove detrimental to GOP hopes heading into 2022.

https://apnews.com/article/ap-poll-t...21f86e991ee197

if only 2-3% of Trump voters peel off from the cult and vote for Democrats, it would be a landslide. already 18% can't stand the fuck

2. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

martin (07-30-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    The problem for the party really seems to come down to one person: Donald Trump. While he continues to be popular with most GOP voters, he also has a depressive effect on the party more broadly. According to the survey, 76% of Republicans still view him favorably. But when it comes to his level of involvement in the party, Republicans are torn: 47% want Trump to have "a lot" of influence over the direction the party, 34% say a little, and 18% say they don't want Trump to have any influence at all.

That 18% sliver of GOP voters who'd like to rid the entire party of Trump has remained notably consistent since the beginning of the year. In February, a Politico/Morning Consult poll found what while 59% of Republicans wanted Trump to play a "major role" in the party, 17% said they "no longer" wanted to him play any role.

Interviews conducted for the AP survey suggest Trump's divisiveness and baseless election lies could depress GOP voting on both ends of the Trump spectrum—among his most devout followers and never-Trumpers alike.

Nicholas Blethrow, a 28-year old Republican who lives in Orange County, California, called the party "pretty much a disaster" and said its continuing efforts to overturn the 2020 election were "ridiculous."

“Clearly there’s a lot of people that enjoy him. But I don’t think it’s good,” Blethrow said.

Reedsville, Wisconsin, native Dennis Herzog, 36, identified as a staunch Republican but also said he has found the constant tension between the parties exhausting and is dismayed by “the whole system in general.”

“It’s nonstop,” Herzog said. “I don’t care who is in office. Just do what’s right for the people and stop picking certain sides.”

The repeated takeaway from polling about Trump is the fact that while he remains a powerful figure in the Republican Party, his dominant presence also poses real challenges for the GOP. While Washington Republicans keep trying to will Trump into talking about the future, his constant harping on the 2020 election continues to sow doubt in the electoral system among his followers. At the same time, some noteworthy sliver of GOP voters wishes he would just dry up and go away, even as their party goes all in on his antics.

Ideally, at this point, GOP voters would be galvanizing against President Joe Biden, but Trump is still hogging the spotlight—and that could prove detrimental to GOP hopes heading into 2022.

if only 2-3% of Trump voters peel off from the cult and vote for Democrats, it would be a landslide. already 18% can't stand the fuck
    I sincerely hope that this is case, because I'm getting rather sick of the Trump-lican insanity.
    Lock Him Up

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

reagansghost (07-30-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,569 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Those Trump conned are going nowhere. That is about 30 percent. That is not enough to get back in power, but enough to do damage to our institutions. He apparently has the ability to primary Repubs although that power is in question. He has backed people who lost. We will all be better off what Trump is gone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-30-2021)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Stay the course. Stay with #45Trump. PLEASE stay with Trump#45.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump has almost ensured that the Republicans will be wiped out in 2022. Between their defense of him over his role in the Capitol riots, to their anti-vax, anti-mask position, spurred on by their blind fealty to the cult leader, they are going to be flushed out of office in huge numbers. All of these things will be fresh in peoples minds. As will Republicans attempts to suppress the black vote (most of which will have been struck down once the Voting Rights Act is passed). People are angry. Angry people vote. We already know Trump can turn out Republicans. But there are no longer anywhere near enough of them. Say goodbye to Republicans for at least the next two election cycles, and probably for the next decade. They made their bed, and they will have to lie in it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

reagansghost (07-30-2021)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Those Trump conned are going nowhere. That is about 30 percent. That is not enough to get back in power, but enough to do damage to our institutions. He apparently has the ability to primary Repubs although that power is in question. He has backed people who lost. We will all be better off what Trump is gone.
    They can't win with him. They might win without him depending on how stupid the alternate is. They pick a Trump disciple, they are toast.
    They pick a moderate, they could win. I think they are now far too stupid and hate filled to follow the tried and true Buckley rule.
    Buck an eternal truth at your own peril. These right wing terrorists may as well be on the DNC payroll. They've earned it.

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Nordberg,

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Being locked up in prison would do that.

And that could come on a variety of charges. Fraud, tax evasion, incitement of insurrection...
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Micawber,

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Stay the course. Stay with #45Trump. PLEASE stay with Trump#45.
    Jon Stewart thanked Trump for entering the 2016 campaign.

It may be foolish to assume America has learned her lesson.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Concart,

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Trump has almost ensured that the Republicans will be wiped out in 2022. Between their defense of him over his role in the Capitol riots, to their anti-vax, anti-mask position, spurred on by their blind fealty to the cult leader, they are going to be flushed out of office in huge numbers. All of these things will be fresh in peoples minds. As will Republicans attempts to suppress the black vote (most of which will have been struck down once the Voting Rights Act is passed). People are angry. Angry people vote. We already know Trump can turn out Republicans. But there are no longer anywhere near enough of them. Say goodbye to Republicans for at least the next two election cycles, and probably for the next decade. They made their bed, and they will have to lie in it.
    The anti-pandemic mindset sank Trump in 2020.

Republicans are foolishly allowing the pandemic to continue, such that it may still be an issue in 2024.

Some people just don't learn from their mistakes.

Like Trump.

Time will tell. I'm taking nothing for granted.

Trump still has a huge following. The right wing echo chamber has a way of pulling up polling just before an election through media blitzing. There could be another Comey-like event. Nothing can be ruled out.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Micawber,

They can't win with him. They might win without him depending on how stupid the alternate is. They pick a Trump disciple, they are toast.
    They pick a moderate, they could win. I think they are now far too stupid and hate filled to follow the tried and true Buckley rule.
    Buck an eternal truth at your own peril. These right wing terrorists may as well be on the DNC payroll. They've earned it.
    They could win with DeSantis right now.

He has all of the popularity of Trump with none of the baggage.

He is being groomed for it.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Micawber,

DeSantis has twenty suitcases full of Covid baggage, and his attempts to hide the numbers are being exposed even as we speak. I don't believe DeSantis will ever win another election. I guess we'll see.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-30-2021)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Micawber,

I consider all his fresh dead littering that state baggage.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-30-2021)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post

KEEP ON DREAMIN

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Concart,

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    DeSantis has twenty suitcases full of Covid baggage, and his attempts to hide the numbers are being exposed even as we speak. I don't believe DeSantis will ever win another election. I guess we'll see.
    They love him. I hope you're right, but I remain rightly concerned.

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Micawber,

I consider all his fresh dead littering that state baggage.
    And so do we all, we socially conscious.

But that does not describe the body of voters on the right. DeSantis is saying everything they want to hear. If they have to choose between social consciousness, and somebody who will 'stick it to the libs,' we know which way that one will go. Recently, DeSantis made noise about overturning Roe.