Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda, ParachuteAdams and jakemax

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Einstein vs. Bohr

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    I'm not smart enough to explain it. I will find a link that theorizes that matter causes C squared to vary.
    Light going through matters will "slow" down it, but the speed remains constant.

Take this one as an example:

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 165 Times in 155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Light going through matters will "slow" down it, but the speed remains constant.

Take this one as an example:
    Are you siding with Bohr? QM is not that visual.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Are you siding with Bohr? QM is not that visual.
    I do not know what you mean.

c is constant in both models. GR and QM.

In fact the speed of light is probably one of the clues that unify both.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

A slight thread drift.
    Since the discovery of quarks, C squared has to vary, making it impossible for the speed of light to be constant. General relativity will be replaced sometime this century.
    Quarks are just the elementary particles which make up protons and neutrons.

The discovery of quarks did not change the amount of protons and neutrons in the universe in the slightest way. Quarks are protons and neutrons in an atomic sense.

C is the speed of light in a vacuum, and that is invariant. C is a law of nature.

Matter will cause photons to travel slower. If my memory is correct, the speed of light in water is about 75 percent what it is in a vacuum.

I personally have never heard that the discovery of quarks fundamentally changed our understanding of C or of general relativity. Unless I missed something.

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Quarks are just the elementary particles which make up protons and neutrons.

The discovery of quarks did not change the amount of protons and neutrons in the universe in the slightest way. Quarks are protons and neutrons in an atomic sense.

C is the speed of light in a vacuum, and that is invariant. C is a law of nature.

Matter will cause photons to travel slower. If my memory is correct, the speed of light in water is about 75 percent what it is in a vacuum.

I personally have never heard that the discovery of quarks fundamentally changed our understanding of C or of general relativity. Unless I missed something.
    I've read through several article that theorize that the speed of light is not a constant but none of them show how the random energy of quarks causes C to vary. I'm tired of reading now so I'll find it later.

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I've read through several article that theorize that the speed of light is not a constant but none of them show how the random energy of quarks causes C to vary. I'm tired of reading now so I'll find it latter.
    The speed of light does not alter. That is how both models work.

If it does alter, that would be a fundamental discovery deserving of a Nobel Prize.

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The speed of light does not alter. That is how both models work.

If it does alter, that would be a fundamental discovery deserving of a Nobel Prize.
    I just read the damn thing a few months ago so I know it's out there. There are other reasons why general relativity needs to be modified.

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I just read the damn thing a few months ago so I know it's out there. There are other reasons why general relativity needs to be modified.
    I know you did. So did I. There are plenty of articles out there that state that GR needs to be modified.

The central issue is the speed of light. The speed of light, c, is constant everywhere. If it is discovered not to be true, that person will win a Nobel Prize.

9. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

For what it's worth:

It wasn’t until 1962 that a semiconductor engineer at Texas Instruments named Thomas Hartman wrote a paper that explicitly embraced the shocking implications of the math.

Hartman found that a barrier seemed to act as a shortcut. When a particle tunnels, the trip takes less time than if the barrier weren’t there. Even more astonishing, he calculated that thickening a barrier hardly increases the time it takes for a particle to tunnel across it. This means that with a sufficiently thick barrier, particles could hop from one side to the other faster than light traveling the same distance through empty space.

In short, quantum tunneling seemed to allow faster-than-light travel, a supposed physical impossibility.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/quant...ight-20201020/

What we get from those researches is that space, time and the speed of light are common factors.

That's it. At least THREE things unifying it.

10. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I know you did. So did I. There are plenty of articles out there that state that GR needs to be modified.

The central issue is the speed of light. The speed of light, c, is constant everywhere. If it is discovered not to be true, that person will win a Nobel Prize.
    C is the average speed of light. It travels at a slightly different speed in every direction. The new theories show that light is not a wave -- I think? OK now I gotta find it.

11. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

C is the average speed of light. It travels at a slightly different speed in every direction. The new theories show that light is not a wave -- I think? OK now I gotta find it.
    This is how light particle travels.

12. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It might explain the particle/wave problem.

13. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Speed of Light May Not Be Constant, Physicists Say
    By Jesse Emspak - Live Science Contributor April 27, 2013

The charges of all these particles are important to their model, because all of them have charges. A quantity called impedance depends on the sum of those charges. The impedance in turn depends on the permittivity of the vacuum, or how much it resists electric fields, as well as its permeability, or how well it supports magnetic fields. Light waves are made up of both an electric and magnetic wave, so changing those quantities (permittivity and permeability) will change the measured speed of light.

https://www.livescience.com/29111-sp...-constant.html

------------------------------------------------

The Trouble with Physics by Lee Smolin spells it out. Smolin would chat with us regular folk when I first arrived in Cyberia. He is one of the whistleblowers on politics in physics. Self-funded physicists like Einstein are allowed to think outside the box.

14. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Speed of Light May Not Be Constant, Physicists Say
    By Jesse Emspak - Live Science Contributor April 27, 2013

The charges of all these particles are important to their model, because all of them have charges. A quantity called impedance depends on the sum of those charges. The impedance in turn depends on the permittivity of the vacuum, or how much it resists electric fields, as well as its permeability, or how well it supports magnetic fields. Light waves are made up of both an electric and magnetic wave, so changing those quantities (permittivity and permeability) will change the measured speed of light.

https://www.livescience.com/29111-sp...-constant.html

------------------------------------------------

The Trouble with Physics by Lee Smolin spells it out. Smolin would chat with us regular folk when I first arrived in Cyberia. He is one of the whistleblowers on politics in physics. Self-funded physicists like Einstein are allowed to think outside the box.
    Sounds like an interesting hypothesis, but I do not know if this is a verified and widely accepted theory. At this time, I believe C is still widely considered a universal constant as a practical matter.

15. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Speaking of the 1927 Solvay conference, I do not think this much brainpower has ever been assembled in one location in human history. Geek factor was totally off the map.

Albert Einstein
    Marie Curie
    Niels Bohr
    Max Planck
    Erwin Schrödinger
    Paul Dirac
    Werner Heisenberg
    Wolfgang Pauli