Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Felony Insurrectionist: 8 Months In Federal Prison and $2000 Fine.

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,421 Times in 52,445 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

Neither am I, but this seems pretty straightforward:

' 18 U.S. Code § 2383 - Rebellion or insurrection

U.S. Code

Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.
    (June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)'
    Murder is illegal but OJ got away from it.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,825 Times in 17,258 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,596 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed. 8 months for simply walking into Congress with the mob. Those convicted of violence are going to do years. Those who helped plan this will do decades.
    Simply walking? Could you possibly have slanted it more? The proven felon broke into the nation's capitol bldg with a violent mob. I suppose you call that a 5K. he was a part of an insurrection and he was lucky to get away with such a light sentence.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-29-2021)

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,350 Times in 6,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 602 Times in 566 Posts

" CNN —

A man who pleaded guilty to breaching the Senate chamber during the US Capitol insurrection was sentenced Monday to eight months in prison in a closely watched case that could influence how hundreds of other rioters charged with the same felony are punished.

Paul Hodgkins, a 38-year-old Floridian, is now the first Capitol rioter convicted of a felony to be sentenced. He pleaded guilty last month to obstructing congressional proceedings – specifically, the counting of the electoral votes, which he helped delay on January 6. He spent about 15 minutes inside the Senate chamber, wearing a Donald Trump shirt and carrying a Trump flag.

The sentence is far less than the 1.5-year prison term that the Justice Department requested. At a hearing Monday, prosecutors argued that 1.5 years would deter future political violence and send a strong warning to “people who may be contemplating a second act” after January 6.

District Judge Randolph Moss departed from that recommendation. He said Hodgkins contributed to a grave offense against democracy but deserved some leniency because he pleaded guilty “exceptionally early,” wasn’t involved in violence and issued a “sincere” apology.

“Hodgkins was staking a claim on the floor of the United States Senate, not with the American flag but with a flag declaring his loyalty to a single individual over the entire nation,” Moss said. "

"In addition to prison, Hodgkins was ordered to pay $2,000 to repair damage to the Capitol. "

First US Capitol rioter convicted of a felony gets 8 months in prison after DOJ says stiffer sentence could stop future attacks

He got off easy. Wait till the violent ones get sentenced...
    I thought traitors were supposed to be hanged.
    Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Simply walking? Could you possibly have slanted it more? The proven felon broke into the nation's capitol bldg with a violent mob. I suppose you call that a 5K. he was a part of an insurrection and he was lucky to get away with such a light sentence.
    Get a fucking grip and unclench your pearl necklace. Did you read the OP? If so then tell me where I'm wrong.

Notice that the Feds aren't offering plea deals to violent offenders. This plea deal is the first of many for the most minor offenders and it he still got 8 months in prison. Don't you get it? That's the lightest sentence We, the People might see for the Insurrectionists. Harsher sentences to follow.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-29-2021)

7. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Murder is illegal but OJ got away from it.
    Charles Manson didn't.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (07-29-2021)

9. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Charles Manson didn't.
    Manson didn't have $2 Billion.

10. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Manson didn't have $2 Billion.
    We all know Trump Might get away with it. Our system of justice is not perfect. It is what we can do with what we've got. Can it get better? I think so. I'm sure we are trying to improve it.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (07-29-2021)

12. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

We all know Trump Might get away with it. Our system of justice is not perfect. It is what we can do with what we've got. Can it get better? I think so. I'm sure we are trying to improve it.
    Our justice system serves a couple of functions. One is to protect the public; make sure they are safe from criminal behavior. A second one is punish. We, the People may have to settle for the ex-prez being prevented from ever pulling this crap again.

13. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Our justice system serves a couple of functions. One is to protect the public; make sure they are safe from criminal behavior. A second one is punish. We, the People may have to settle for the ex-prez being prevented from ever pulling this crap again.
    That remains to be seen.