Members banned from this thread: katzgar


Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 170

Thread: "The bicycle is the slow death of the planet"

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    22,659
    Thanks
    3,735
    Thanked 13,531 Times in 8,319 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,603 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default "The bicycle is the slow death of the planet"

    "The bicycle is the slow death of the planet."

    I hope he did say this, but don't know. Sounds about right.


    General Director of Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said:

    "A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy: he does not buy cars and does not borrow money to buy. He does not pay for insurance policies. He does not buy fuel, does not pay for the necessary maintenance and repairs. He does not use paid parking. He does not cause serious accidents. He does not require multi-lane highways. He does not get fat.

    Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy. They don't buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. Nothing is added to the country's GDP (gross domestic product).

    On the contrary, every new McDonald's restaurant creates at least 30 jobs: 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietary experts and nutritionists, and obviously, people who work at the restaurant itself."

    Choose carefully: cyclist or McDonald's? It is worth considering.


    P.S. Walking is even worse. Pedestrians don't even buy bicycles.


    ~ babylonsister

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

    Althea (07-25-2021), evince (07-25-2021), Frank Apisa (07-25-2021), Jarod (07-25-2021), martin (07-25-2021), ThatOwlWoman (07-25-2021)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    9,300
    Thanks
    950
    Thanked 3,721 Times in 2,671 Posts
    Groans
    18
    Groaned 484 Times in 461 Posts

    Default

    Makes sense to me.

    Even as a Europhile, I find the serious European status of bicycles to be laughable.

    One thing I do love about America is that most of us view bicycles as children's toys.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    NYC & CO
    Posts
    7,033
    Thanks
    1,598
    Thanked 2,046 Times in 1,533 Posts
    Groans
    626
    Groaned 158 Times in 151 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Makes sense to me.

    Even as a Europhile, I find the serious European status of bicycles to be laughable.

    One thing I do love about America is that most of us view bicycles as children's toys.
    Have you ever been to Colorado? Some of those people don't have cars; and many of them spend more money on their bicycles than their cars.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (07-25-2021)

  6. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    2,791
    Thanked 5,743 Times in 4,572 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 321 Times in 299 Posts

    Default

    you guys get he's serious, right?

    he's anti health, anti frugality, anti sustainability.

    this is where corporatism goes wrong,when it encourages harm to create customers.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    internationalist fascism: the belief that the interests of multinational corporations should be the sole focus of all national trade policies.

    CRT Segregationists of the left https://www.racialequitytools.org/re...ffinity-groups

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to AssHatZombie For This Post:

    goat (07-24-2021)

  8. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    2,791
    Thanked 5,743 Times in 4,572 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 321 Times in 299 Posts

    Default

    you idiots read freakonomics too many times.

    dumb: "it's wild how capitalism means immoral things are fine now?"

    dumber: "I know, right?"
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    internationalist fascism: the belief that the interests of multinational corporations should be the sole focus of all national trade policies.

    CRT Segregationists of the left https://www.racialequitytools.org/re...ffinity-groups

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    31,544
    Thanks
    7,393
    Thanked 5,910 Times in 4,628 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,414 Times in 4,218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

    Maria Ressa.

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    51,633
    Thanks
    85,500
    Thanked 41,794 Times in 26,644 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,038 Times in 3,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    "The bicycle is the slow death of the planet."

    I hope he did say this, but don't know. Sounds about right.


    General Director of Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said:

    "A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy: he does not buy cars and does not borrow money to buy. He does not pay for insurance policies. He does not buy fuel, does not pay for the necessary maintenance and repairs. He does not use paid parking. He does not cause serious accidents. He does not require multi-lane highways. He does not get fat.

    Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy. They don't buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. Nothing is added to the country's GDP (gross domestic product).

    On the contrary, every new McDonald's restaurant creates at least 30 jobs: 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietary experts and nutritionists, and obviously, people who work at the restaurant itself."

    Choose carefully: cyclist or McDonald's? It is worth considering.


    P.S. Walking is even worse. Pedestrians don't even buy bicycles.


    ~ babylonsister
    I was unable to find any verification of this quote; the first two pages on Google just dutifully repeated this word for word. I'm sure it was meant tongue-in-cheek. He's right, in a way.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” -- Mark Twain

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    AProudLefty (07-25-2021)

  12. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    31,544
    Thanks
    7,393
    Thanked 5,910 Times in 4,628 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,414 Times in 4,218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I was unable to find any verification of this quote; the first two pages on Google just dutifully repeated this word for word. I'm sure it was meant tongue-in-cheek. He's right, in a way.
    Yes- as far as consumer capitalism goes the bicycle is very scary.

    Haw, haw................................haw.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

    Maria Ressa.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (07-25-2021)

  14. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    22,659
    Thanks
    3,735
    Thanked 13,531 Times in 8,319 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,603 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I was unable to find any verification of this quote; the first two pages on Google just dutifully repeated this word for word. I'm sure it was meant tongue-in-cheek. He's right, in a way.
    forget where I found this gem, written by a contributor on some forum

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (07-25-2021)

  16. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    2,791
    Thanked 5,743 Times in 4,572 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 321 Times in 299 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I was unable to find any verification of this quote; the first two pages on Google just dutifully repeated this word for word. I'm sure it was meant tongue-in-cheek. He's right, in a way.
    he's not right. he's an idiot. so are you.

    this is precisely the attitude that enviros claim to be against.

    think for yourself one damn time, stooge.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    internationalist fascism: the belief that the interests of multinational corporations should be the sole focus of all national trade policies.

    CRT Segregationists of the left https://www.racialequitytools.org/re...ffinity-groups

  17. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    2,791
    Thanked 5,743 Times in 4,572 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 321 Times in 299 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    forget where I found this gem, written by a contributor on some forum
    a gem of destructive idiocy. awesome.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    internationalist fascism: the belief that the interests of multinational corporations should be the sole focus of all national trade policies.

    CRT Segregationists of the left https://www.racialequitytools.org/re...ffinity-groups

  18. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    51,633
    Thanks
    85,500
    Thanked 41,794 Times in 26,644 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,038 Times in 3,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Yes- as far as consumer capitalism goes the bicycle is very scary.

    Haw, haw................................haw.
    Think of the disaster we'd have on our hands if most of us worked from home, grew/raised our own food, and quit buying plastic and petroleum-based products.

    "It's the end of the world as we know it." -- R.E.M.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” -- Mark Twain

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    evince (07-25-2021), moon (07-25-2021)

  20. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    13,559
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 4,627 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 239 Times in 218 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Have you ever been to Colorado? Some of those people don't have cars; and many of them spend more money on their bicycles than their cars.
    Question... Do those bicyclists ride when there's like a foot of snow on the ground and a blizzard outside? Do they ride to work (assuming they have a job) in a torrential downpour? How do they do something like bring home ten bags of groceries? Or, is it their lifestyle to live in a high rise apartment and eat out all the time?

    But it's all good... Bicyclists who ride incessantly are more likely to end up sterile...
    In sum, these studies suggest that cycling... ...may make one more prone to urethral strictures, genital numbness, and saddle sores.
    https://www.urologytimes.com/view/bi...ad-mens-health

    When you toss in increased exposure to air pollution and accidents, bicyclists seem to be self annihilating.

    https://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2...s-your-health/

  21. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    51,633
    Thanks
    85,500
    Thanked 41,794 Times in 26,644 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,038 Times in 3,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    he's not right. he's an idiot. so are you.

    this is precisely the attitude that enviros claim to be against.

    think for yourself one damn time, stooge.
    Said the puppet, without a single trace of irony. lol
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” -- Mark Twain

  22. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    2,791
    Thanked 5,743 Times in 4,572 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 321 Times in 299 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Said the puppet, without a single trace of irony. lol
    you've let your materialism and greed rot your character and soul.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    internationalist fascism: the belief that the interests of multinational corporations should be the sole focus of all national trade policies.

    CRT Segregationists of the left https://www.racialequitytools.org/re...ffinity-groups

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2020, 09:21 AM
  2. "The most toxic environment on the planet." White House staff says....
    By Centerleftfl in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2018, 10:01 PM
  3. "The most toxic environment on the planet." White House staff says....
    By Centerleftfl in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2018, 09:33 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2017, 07:54 PM
  5. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 03:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •