Members banned from this thread: katzgar


Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 95

Thread: "More Red-State Trouble, U.S. looks increasingly like two different countries"

  1. #76 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    107,374
    Thanks
    8,526
    Thanked 30,488 Times in 24,311 Posts
    Groans
    2,924
    Groaned 2,388 Times in 2,278 Posts

    Default

    U.S. looks increasingly like two different countries"
    the smart one and the lib'rul one.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  2. #77 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    107,374
    Thanks
    8,526
    Thanked 30,488 Times in 24,311 Posts
    Groans
    2,924
    Groaned 2,388 Times in 2,278 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I wish some people weren’t so stupid about vaccines and masks.
    harsh commentary on young blacks.........but isn't it a touch racist?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  3. #78 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    12,839
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 917 Posts
    Groans
    141
    Groaned 174 Times in 170 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Yes, one where there are urban enclaves of blue surrounded by huge swaths of lower population red...

    New York


    California


    Virginia
    Right, I have long argued here that New York & California are mostly Republican majority in it's White Christian origin population.
    But because of minorities it props up the Democrats in those states.

  4. #79 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    land-locked in Ocala,FL
    Posts
    26,633
    Thanks
    30,100
    Thanked 16,358 Times in 11,280 Posts
    Groans
    1,032
    Groaned 877 Times in 835 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    You posted truncated links... repost by copy pasting the link rather than a post at another site.

    I think this is an example of the story you may have been trying to post:

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberth...h=67b6becad677
    Thank-you. I noticed the original was gone.
    Now, I'm using THIS one https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/w...vid-surge-most
    and it seems to work. Appreciate the Forbes one. Thanks again.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

    Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.



  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

    Damocles (07-23-2021)

  6. #80 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    107,374
    Thanks
    8,526
    Thanked 30,488 Times in 24,311 Posts
    Groans
    2,924
    Groaned 2,388 Times in 2,278 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    are you vaccinated?

    oops, just read above you have been

    so, looks like you choose to advise others to not do as you do, got it
    he chose to do it and says everyone has the right to make their choice.......I would say that is doing what he suggests others are free to do........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

    Stretch (07-23-2021)

  8. #81 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7,978
    Thanks
    2,640
    Thanked 4,151 Times in 2,681 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 292 Times in 277 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It's not an excuse it is reality. Regardless. I still support others right to reject it too. They are less afraid, my action was not for them.

    I've been through this argument before with another poster. My motivations may be different than yours, but they are understandable to anyone except a sociopath.

    I got to choose something, you get to choose something, the reason I do it whether or not you would for that same reason is not what is up for debate. That is what I support, folks get to choose.

    And the "Authoritarians" you can't find are the ones clapping over fascist rules in France and hoping for more of them here.
    So, I still don't get it.

    You said: "I did that so you, yes you personally (and others like you), would not be so afraid." I'm still trying to figure out who 'and others like you' refers to. You want to enlighten me?

    Explain to me how YOU getting the vaccine makes me 'not afraid'? And until you can, it's not reality. it's an excuse. And a pretty lame one at that. It doesn't even make any sense. It's almost as if you're embarrassed to admit you got the vaccine to protect yourself because it doesn't fit with the far right wing mantra. Are you afraid they'll kick you out of their club? Is that it?
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on discussions that make no sense. There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand. Others who are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and the only thing that they want is to be right even if they aren’t.

  9. #82 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    13,559
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 4,627 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 239 Times in 218 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Kielbasa View Post
    Right, I have long argued here that New York & California are mostly Republican majority in it's White Christian origin population.
    But because of minorities it props up the Democrats in those states.
    It's more the urban Progressive Whites than anything else that drives the Blue areas. They simply bribe minorities to join them in voting with social-welfare programs. The White Progressives are like AOC in that they don't know shit about anything other than some office-type job where they make big bucks pushing paper or doing things like stock trading. If technology collapsed tomorrow, they'd starve to death.

    Only in regions where minorities dominate such as the Southern border counties or urban ones with a Black majority, do you see them voting Blue and then its because their own leaders tell them too.

  10. #83 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    79,832
    Thanks
    2,031
    Thanked 11,911 Times in 7,769 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 465 Times in 431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    So, I still don't get it.

    You said: "I did that so you, yes you personally (and others like you), would not be so afraid." I'm still trying to figure out who 'and others like you' refers to. You want to enlighten me?

    Explain to me how YOU getting the vaccine makes me 'not afraid'? And until you can, it's not reality. it's an excuse. And a pretty lame one at that. It doesn't even make any sense. It's almost as if you're embarrassed to admit you got the vaccine to protect yourself because it doesn't fit with the far right wing mantra. Are you afraid they'll kick you out of their club? Is that it?
    Less =/= not. You are arguing with yourself.

    My choice is a very Buddhist choice. Some folks are afraid of Coronavirus, so I chose to be part of the testing of a vaccine so that something could eventually be made that could assuage their fears. It's a compassionate choice, made consciously to help others get over their fears. Some did not want to participate in testing, because they were afraid that unapproved vaccines can cause side effects, I chose to take that risk in their behalf...

    You seem very fearful. You ask what "folks like you" means... Folks like you are the ones that want others to do something to make your life better rather than you doing what is necessary to make your life better and letting them freely choose whether that same choice is right for them or to take a different path that they believe is better.

    Personally, pretending to laugh a lot doesn't make it seem like you are winning in this case, you just seem like you cannot find a way to put yourself into the shoes of another that may think differently than you. I do that (think of how others may feel/believe), then I act in what I believe is the most compassionate way, it is what I believe is the right thing to do personally. I do not believe that forcing others to act like me is the right thing to do... Both of these things are true.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  11. #84 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    12,839
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 917 Posts
    Groans
    141
    Groaned 174 Times in 170 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    It's more the urban Progressive Whites than anything else that drives the Blue areas. They simply bribe minorities to join them in voting with social-welfare programs. The White Progressives are like AOC in that they don't know shit about anything other than some office-type job where they make big bucks pushing paper or doing things like stock trading. If technology collapsed tomorrow, they'd starve to death.

    Only in regions where minorities dominate such as the Southern border counties or urban ones with a Black majority, do you see them voting Blue and then its because their own leaders tell them too.
    Lol.... I grew up in Putnam County, NY.

    Most people there were Whites of Italian or Irish roots with even more recent roots in NY urban centers like the Bronx, Yonkers, Brooklyn, Mount Vernon, Queens, New Rochelle.

    The closer the roots to urban centers & to Europe the more Republican they tended to be.

  12. #85 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    12,839
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 917 Posts
    Groans
    141
    Groaned 174 Times in 170 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    It's more the urban Progressive Whites than anything else that drives the Blue areas. They simply bribe minorities to join them in voting with social-welfare programs. The White Progressives are like AOC in that they don't know shit about anything other than some office-type job where they make big bucks pushing paper or doing things like stock trading. If technology collapsed tomorrow, they'd starve to death.

    Only in regions where minorities dominate such as the Southern border counties or urban ones with a Black majority, do you see them voting Blue and then its because their own leaders tell them too.
    Staten Island & other Italian neighborhoods in NYC mostly went with Trump.

    As for the heavily Anglo Upper East side.
    Although they went more against Trump slightly, they did go for W. Bush.

    Other than that an awful lot of the progressive ( White) neighborhoods in NYC went heavily against Trump or W. BUSH?

    A lot of them are Jewish, LGBTQ or Hipster.

    Hipsters aren't necessarily a from NYC same with LGBTQ with large numbers venturing in from other areas.

  13. #86 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7,978
    Thanks
    2,640
    Thanked 4,151 Times in 2,681 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 292 Times in 277 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Less =/= not. You are arguing with yourself.

    My choice is a very Buddhist choice. Some folks are afraid of Coronavirus, so I chose to be part of the testing of a vaccine so that something could eventually be made that could assuage their fears. It's a compassionate choice, made consciously to help others get over their fears. Some did not want to participate in testing, because they were afraid that unapproved vaccines can cause side effects, I chose to take that risk in their behalf...

    You seem very fearful. You ask what "folks like you" means... Folks like you are the ones that want others to do something to make your life better rather than you doing what is necessary to make your life better and letting them freely choose whether that same choice is right for them or to take a different path that they believe is better.

    Personally, pretending to laugh a lot doesn't make it seem like you are winning in this case, you just seem like you cannot find a way to put yourself into the shoes of another that may think differently than you. I do that (think of how others may feel/believe), then I act in what I believe is the most compassionate way, it is what I believe is the right thing to do personally. I do not believe that forcing others to act like me is the right thing to do... Both of these things are true.
    Wow! Did you, by chance, go to the Donald Trump School of Writing? Sorry, but I still don't get it. All I'm reading is incomprehensible rambling.

    I was never afraid of getting the virus or the vaccine. My son participated in the Moderna study and I was very proud of him in doing so.

    I seem very fearful? Either you have some sort of telepathic power that enables you to assess a person's inner feelings on an Internet forum or you're just making shit up to try to save your argument.

    Methinks it's the latter.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on discussions that make no sense. There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand. Others who are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and the only thing that they want is to be right even if they aren’t.

  14. #87 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    13,559
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 4,627 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 239 Times in 218 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Kielbasa View Post
    Lol.... I grew up in Putnam County, NY.

    Most people there were Whites of Italian or Irish roots with even more recent roots in NY urban centers like the Bronx, Yonkers, Brooklyn, Mount Vernon, Queens, New Rochelle.

    The closer the roots to urban centers & to Europe the more Republican they tended to be.
    Middle Class Whites who 'work for a living' like in skilled trades or similar jobs tend to vote Republican. They are self reliant sorts that don't need or want government meddling in their lives. The sort that wants the social-welfare state are those that work in some skyscraper office job doing something for lots of money that doesn't produce anything tangible. They tend to live in condos or apartments. This sort thinks that those of lessor means live like they do only that their lessor means makes it necessary for them to have government support to make ends meet when the truth is they can get by fine doing things for themselves that the Progressive "elites" can't fathom like changing out a non-working garbage disposal...

    Example from today in my own life:

    AC died this morning about six AM. Smell of smoke in the house. Me and the kid (he's in college but lives at home) searched the house for signs of fire. Called and got a non-emergency response from the fire department (no sirens and such--unnecessary). They checked too.
    I went up on the roof where the AC is about eight AM and found that the start capacitor for the compressor had smoked. I put the high efficiency swamp cooler back on to give the house some cooling while I waited for the AC guy to come.
    Called my AC guy (Carlos who's Hispanic) to come over when he could to fix it, rather than do it myself (its raining off and on here today). He came about noon and replaced the part and cleaned up the wiring, etc.

    Cost me $120 cash no invoice to get that done.

    The Progressive know-nothing response would have been a panic call to 911, followed by a call to some maintenance company to find and fix the problem. I could envision a $1000 + bill resulting from all that. That Progressive would assume based on their experience that's how it goes for everybody, while my experience tells me they're full of shit and got took because they're technical / real world illiterates.
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 07-23-2021 at 03:29 PM.

  15. #88 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    23,482
    Thanks
    10,059
    Thanked 12,495 Times in 8,622 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,123 Times in 1,057 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    "More Red-State Trouble, U.S. looks increasingly like two different countries"
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/07/b...states-us.html

    "Delta variant sweeps through states that dialed back health powers"
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...d-cases-500483

    "The Delta variant is hitting red states hardest as the US's vaccine divide widens"
    https://news.yahoo.com/delta-variant...132500281.html

    "As the Delta variant spreads, Republican reluctance will mean thousands more deaths"
    https://www.salon.com/2021/07/09/as-...s-more-deaths/

    "Delta Variant Now Accounts for 83% of U.S. Cases"
    https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021...us-covid-cases

    And as an epitome of the stupidity behind it - “I’d rather have a dangerous freedom than a comfortable safety" - Arkansas state Sen. Trent Garner (https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...d-cases-500483)
    Natural selection
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

  16. #89 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    12,839
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 917 Posts
    Groans
    141
    Groaned 174 Times in 170 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Middle Class Whites who 'work for a living' like in skilled trades or similar jobs tend to vote Republican. They are self reliant sorts that don't need or want government meddling in their lives. The sort that wants the social-welfare state are those that work in some skyscraper office job doing something for lots of money that doesn't produce anything tangible. They tend to live in condos or apartments. This sort thinks that those of lessor means live like they do only that their lessor means makes it necessary for them to have government support to make ends meet when the truth is they can get by fine doing things for themselves that the Progressive "elites" can't fathom like changing out a non-working garbage disposal...

    Example from today in my own life:

    AC died this morning about six AM. Smell of smoke in the house. Me and the kid (he's in college but lives at home) searched the house for signs of fire. Called and got a non-emergency response from the fire department (no sirens and such--unnecessary). They checked too.
    I went up on the roof where the AC is about eight AM and found that the start capacitor for the compressor had smoked. I put the high efficiency swamp cooler back on to give the house some cooling while I waited for the AC guy to come.
    Called my AC guy (Carlos who's Hispanic) to come over when he could to fix it, rather than do it myself (its raining off and on here today). He came about noon and replaced the part and cleaned up the wiring, etc.

    Cost me $120 cash no invoice to get that done.

    The Progressive know-nothing response would have been a panic call to 911, followed by a call to some maintenance company to find and fix the problem. I could envision a $1000 + bill resulting from all that. That Progressive would assume based on their experience that's how it goes for everybody, while my experience tells me they're full of shit and got took because they're technical / real world illiterates.
    I think you might have a point, But most of this resides on ethnic lines.

    Adirondack region of New York is one of the most rural, impoverished & presumably blue collar regions in NY.

    It is more blue than urban Staten Island or suburban exurban high income Putnam County, NY.

    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...3EbZ44JCCAHaEs

  17. #90 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    29,623
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14,090 Times in 8,973 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2,436 Times in 2,266 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Kielbasa View Post
    Right, I have long argued here that New York & California are mostly Republican majority in it's White Christian origin population.
    But because of minorities it props up the Democrats in those states.
    You do realize that few people live in those areas colored red on the maps? Wyoming is colored all red, looks like a lot, yet their population is less than metro Buffalo, NY

    New York and California, along with many other Blue States, are not a "mostly Republican majority," and it has nothing to do with minorities

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble in paradise between "CorruptRump" and "Foxsnooze".
    By Tacomaman in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2020, 01:18 AM
  2. US "DEEP STATE" NOW IN VERY DEEP TROUBLE
    By Dachshynddawg in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2019, 12:25 AM
  3. "To hell with it": Trump increasingly weary of staff advice
    By signalmankenneth in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2018, 01:25 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2018, 04:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •