Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: When Is Ted Cruz Going To Be Banned From FB and Twitter?

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,608 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Flagging false information that has the potential to hurt Americans is not "disagreeing" with folks who deliberately do it.
    It is, however, the government actively trying to silence folks that they disagree with. Whether it is because you believe it is "disinformation" or their opinion on a topic the government does not get to do this.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It is, however, the government actively trying to silence folks that they disagree with. Whether it is because you believe it is "disinformation" or their opinion on a topic the government does not get to do this.
    It is the decision of Twitter and Facebook. Notice that Twitter didn't delete MTG's tweet?

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is the decision of Twitter and Facebook. Notice that Twitter didn't delete MTG's tweet?
    Once the government begins the action it is an action of the government if you comply. There have been court decisions on this... The Administration really needs to stay the f*ck out of it or they'll find that FakeBook will be ruled as acting on behalf of the government and they'll be required to stop, their actions can actually cause the misinformation to spread because they just couldn't stop themselves from politicizing the mesasage...

Seriously. You don't want to mix the government in your decisions on your website, or vice versa...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Once the government begins the action it is an action of the government if you comply. There have been court decisions on this... The Administration really needs to stay the f*ck out of it or they'll find that FakeBook will be ruled as acting on behalf of the government and they'll be required to stop, their actions can actually cause the misinformation to spread because they just couldn't stop themselves from politicizing the mesasage...

Seriously. You don't want to mix the government in your decisions on your website, or vice versa...
    If I own a business, it is up to me to ignore the government. However, if the government wants me to report any suspicious activity, like suspicious IP addresses, Russian and Chinese bots, and anything untoward that could hurt America, I'd be glad to be on the lookout for the sake of America security.

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If I own a business, it is up to me to ignore the government. However, if the government wants me to report any suspicious activity, like suspicious IP addresses, Russian and Chinese bots, and anything untoward that could hurt America, I'd be glad to be on the lookout for the sake of America security.
    This is far different than the government singling out you and asking the company to do something that can silence you. If the government tried to come on here telling me which folks to silence because they were spreading misinformation I would require a court order at the very least. If the government tried to come on here and get your IP addresses because you said something they didn't like I certainly would require the subpoena, in fact I have in the past. The government does not get to be part of the decisions on this site, they must follow the laws that limit their ability to affect your speech on my site.

Psaki has stated that they keep a list and follow them over multiple sites, they get upset when they are banned from one of the sites but not the others. Their activity is beyond questionable IMHO. They don't get to keep a list of folks they want to blackball from public discourse. Do better at communicating. Instead of insulting folks actually work towards what you promised would be my first suggestion. If you promise unity, stop acting like Trump with a thesaurus.

There was a time I would get upset because the party that supposedly distrusts "The Man" is willing to let them do anything at all so long as it extends their power. Nowadays I just realize that they are just as authoritarian as the other.
    Last edited by Damocles; 07-21-2021 at 04:45 PM.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is far different than the government singling out you and asking the company to do something that can silence you.
    Silence what, exactly? I used Ted Cruz and other prominent conservatives/Republicans spreading disinformation and yet they haven't been suspended or banned.

If the government tried to come on here telling me which folks to silence because they were spreading misinformation I would require a court order at the very least.
    The government isn't attempting to force you. It is your decision.

If the government tried to come on here and get your IP addresses because you said something they didn't like I certainly would require the subpoena, in fact I have in the past. The government does not get to be part of the decisions on this site, they must follow the laws that limit their ability to affect your speech on my site.
    Yes. Getting the IP addresses and in turn getting the actual physical addresses requires two court warrants.

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The government does not get to be part of the decisions on this site, they must follow the laws that limit their ability to affect your speech on my site.
    Correct. You can tell them to fuck off and you'd be in the right.

Psaki has stated that they keep a list and follow them over multiple sites
    It is about misinformation about the covid-19 vaccine. That's it.

There was a time I would get upset because the party that supposedly distrusts "The Man" is willing to let them do anything at all so long as it extends their power. Nowadays I just realize that they are just as authoritarian as the other.
    Hence the reason for the Constitution. The Founding Fathers expected it.

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,815 Times in 17,253 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,594 Times in 4,272 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    Obviously, what he's saying isn't "misinformation" or "hate speech", per Twitter's arbitrary enforcement and non-existent definitions of the terms.
    It is lies. Rightys hate speech is all over twitter Just not trump's.
    Last edited by Nordberg; 07-25-2021 at 09:04 AM.