Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Here's how Finland solved its homelessness problem

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    How many are in habitable condition? I'd guess close to zero. That means you have to fix them before you can use them. If the house is pre about 1980, that will include removing all lead paint and asbestos from it. You then still have to fix it. My guess is most would require upwards of $100,000+ in repairs to make them habitable--each.

I have no idea what the building standards are in Finland, but they could be very different from the US.
    And it costs how much to build a new home? Then too, you have to ask why were the homes allowed to get in the condition they are in. Most were quite habitable before the recession of 2008.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,265 Times in 13,400 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I note with interest that motels that get turned to camps for vagrants seem to have a tendency to get burned down by those same vagrants...a fact that all concerned work hard to keep the American taxpayers from knowing.
    That's because many of those homeless do things like freebase or make meth in their room, or leave the stove on for a week, or something like that. You don't end up homeless and on the street because you are smart, employable, and willing to work. You end up there because you're mentally ill, a drug addict, retarded, or lazy as fuck.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I note with interest that motels that get turned to camps for vagrants seem to have a tendency to get burned down by those same vagrants...a fact that all concerned work hard to keep the American taxpayers from knowing.
    And your source for this BS is where?
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's because many of those homeless do things like freebase or make meth in their room, or leave the stove on for a week, or something like that. You don't end up homeless and on the street because you are smart, employable, and willing to work. You end up there because you're mentally ill, a drug addict, retarded, or lazy as fuck.
    Well, now that you have gotten that lie off your low IQ mind, when is your next act?

https://www.thehumanimpact.org/post/...just-get-a-job
    Last edited by Old Trapper; 07-20-2021 at 10:19 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Trapper For This Post:

Cinnabar (07-20-2021)

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    And it costs how much to build a new home? Then too, you have to ask why were the homes allowed to get in the condition they are in. Most were quite habitable before the recession of 2008.
    Depending on the location, including infrastructure, somewhere between $200,000 and $300,000 right now. The cost is somewhere between $100 and $155 per square foot.
    https://homeguide.com/costs/cost-to-...20on%20average.

Major renovations aren't much cheaper--if you do them right. Flippers take shortcuts that often are shitty and sometimes even dangerous.

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Depending on the location, including infrastructure, somewhere between $200,000 and $300,000 right now. The cost is somewhere between $100 and $155 per square foot.
    https://homeguide.com/costs/cost-to-...20on%20average.

Major renovations aren't much cheaper--if you do them right. Flippers take shortcuts that often are shitty and sometimes even dangerous.
    Still cheaper then building a new home.

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,102 Times in 12,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,441 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries

Housing costs for the homeless rose to $531,000 a unit, L.A. controller’s report says
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...motels-instead

Ya No.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    And your source for this BS is where?
    It started with me noticing the notices the Mind Molders write when motel fires happen, which is all too often now....the deceptive writing and general lack of information.

I am confident that proof would be obtained by talking with insurance companies, who tend to take a very dim view of properties that agree to take large numbers of Street People.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ya.....and what can most charitably be called their lack of giving a shit....which is often a thirst for mayhem.

DARK AGES SUCK!

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If it were me, I'd start with those homeless that have sufficient potential to work as semi-skilled labor. I'd select some tract of worthless government land in the middle of nowhere. I'd then provide on that land the necessary starter stuff for a functioning town of say several thousand at most when fully developed. That is, you put in a sewer / septic system, build a few buildings that will serve as stores and government offices to run the city.

Then, what you do is something along the lines of this video.

Now, you can be a bit less crude, and you'd have to provide a number of skilled instructors / supervisors to help the homeless learn to build their own small homes. Each would be built to a similar plan, or one of several basic plans. All of the materials would be salvage and most acquired by the homeless under supervision.

The town layout would be for everyone to walk where they go rather than one designed around automobiles.

The objective of this whole exercise is to get those involved into investing themselves into the project. That is, they become owners and don't want their shit messed with. This is my house! Once they have a sense of ownership, they will begin to take care of their own property and not mess with other's.

The objective from there is that they can then move into better jobs and end their homeless, impoverished situation completely.

12. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Finland has a population of about 5.5 million. That's roughly the same population as Minnesota (5.7 million). It amounts to 1.5% of the US population roughly.

In the US there are an estimated 600,000 homeless across the country. That's over 10% of Finland's total population. So while Finland is dealing with a homeless population in the thousands, the US population amounts to the entire population of Detroit, Memphis, or Portland. That's a large mass of people to try and house. At 4 to a house that's 150,000 homes. If those average a cost of $300,00 a unit that's $450 billion in construction costs including infrastructure like roads, power, sewer, etc. You'd be building an entire medium sized city.
    With endless QE and 2 bailouts in the past 13 years, how much monopoly money was made out of thin air? The last time I checked it was something like $17 trillion with a T. Jobs ain't coming back so there will be a lot more homeless over the years. We better do something quickly before the capitol gets stormed again.

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    With endless QE and 2 bailouts in the past 13 years, how much monopoly money was made out of thin air? The last time I checked it was something like $17 trillion with a T. Jobs ain't coming back so there will be a lot more homeless over the years. We better do something quickly before the capitol gets stormed again.
    Home values in Thurston CO WA are up over 25%....in one year.

That is catastrophic...so many will decide to not play that game....to instead become vagrants on a perm holiday and let the government take care of them.

Buckle Up.

DARK AGES SUCK!

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    I made a suggestion. A high quality "shanty town" of small homes of sufficient quality that they aren't health or fire hazards and more durable than tents. Keep the town size manageable at a few thousand at most and let the homeless that go to one learn the value of work, self-sufficiency, and being part of general society. They can move up to better things from there.

15. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,725 Times in 4,158 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,364 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    This quote from the article says it all;

".... All this costs money,” admits Kaakinen. “But there is ample evidence from many countries that shows it is always more cost-effective to aim to end homelessness instead of simply trying to manage it. Investment in ending homelessness always pays back, to say nothing of the human and ethical reasons.”
    But what does that entail? It’s not like we don’t spend money now. But just because you spend money doesn’t mean it’s being spent well or wisely.
    Wack...Re-read the article, as it details where and how the bucks are going in this endeavor.

This is an alien concept to the American economic/social psyche, as we seem to live in some rugged Western pioneer fantasy were those who can't cut it for whatever reason just go off somewhere to die. A pity.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

16. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Home values in Thurston CO WA are up over 25%....in one year.

That is catastrophic...so many will decide to not play that game....to instead become vagrants on a perm holiday and let the government take care of them.

Buckle Up.
    Keiser Report is projecting a 45% drop in the markets. How fast will congress come up with the money for Wall Street again?