Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda and jakemax

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is consciousness an inherent property of the universe

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,680 Times in 27,325 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default Is consciousness an inherent property of the universe

Can our brains help prove the universe is conscious?

If we can find the answer, it may complete our understanding of space and time.

As humans, we know we are conscious because we experience and feel things. Yet scientists and great thinkers are unable to explain what consciousness is and they are equally baffled about where it comes from.

"Consciousness — or better, conscious experience — is obviously a part of reality," said Johannes Kleiner, a mathematician and theoretical physicist at the Munich Center For Mathematical Philosophy, Germany. "We're all having it but without understanding how it relates to the known physics, our understanding of the universe is incomplete."

With that in mind, Kleiner is hoping math will enable him to precisely define consciousness. Working with colleague Sean Tull, a mathematician at the University of Oxford, U.K., the pair are being driven, to some degree, by a philosophical point of view called panpsychism.

This claims consciousness is inherent in even the tiniest pieces of matter — an idea that suggests the fundamental building blocks of reality have conscious experience. Crucially, it implies consciousness could be found throughout the universe.

Continued
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spa...erse-conscious

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

No, it is an induced energy within a brain working a body being able to navigate living mutually evolving as a series parallel ancestor occupying time as spaced apart conceived to decomposed in the generation of ancestrally appeared in this atmosphere since inception of Homo Sapien replacements began changing the population present.

Kinetic specificity is what every reality keeps its deep state of mind secret regardless the contextual reality defining character matters and genetics doesn't count in theory or theology promising better tomorrows to each ancestor added. Intellect is social conscience, 6th sense of proportionately alive is instinctive awareness only existing as mutually timed apart now.
    Every brain born has a lifetime conflict with ancestral displacement and intellectual social position within the population present. Why, life is a compounding connection between inception, conception, death, extinction life doesn't exceed what exists now.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    No, it is an induced energy within a brain working a body being able to navigate living mutually evolving as a series parallel ancestor occupying time as spaced apart conceived to decomposed in the generation of ancestrally appeared in this atmosphere since inception of Homo Sapien replacements began changing the population present.

Kinetic specificity is what every reality keeps its deep state of mind secret regardless the contextual reality defining character matters and genetics doesn't count in theory or theology promising better tomorrows to each ancestor added. Intellect is social conscience, 6th sense of proportionately alive is instinctive awareness only existing as mutually timed apart now.
    You must be the life of the party at social gatherings.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You must be the life of the party at social gatherings.
    I discuss things nobody dreamed possible and they fit natural displacement as reproductively displaced in order of genetically placed each generation so far.The algorithm is so accurate it covers plant, animal, predator, prey, male, female, asexual means of reproducing next generations since inception until extinction already gone extinct and still reproducing.

Even has room to add other varieties within a species as well as a species itself. All this by defying intellectual conceptions of flow chart isolating results as mutually evolving here. Go ahead and verbally insulate what I said against what everyone chooses to believe and make me the odd one out. I have learned to see beyond psychological class warfare and type cast social narratives.

Series of ancestral reproductions mutually evolving in a parallel time frame as conceived to decomposed not rationalizing things cradle to grave with out of sight out of mind philosophies and mob rule demanding everyone justify their behavior 24/7. Big Brother governance and all that jazz.
    Every brain born has a lifetime conflict with ancestral displacement and intellectual social position within the population present. Why, life is a compounding connection between inception, conception, death, extinction life doesn't exceed what exists now.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    I discuss things nobody dreamed possible and they fit natural displacement as reproductively displaced in order of genetically placed each generation so far.The algorithm is so accurate it covers plant, animal, predator, prey, male, female, asexual means of reproducing next generations since inception until extinction already gone extinct and still reproducing.

Even has room to add other varieties within a species as well as a species itself. All this by defying intellectual conceptions of flow chart isolating results as mutually evolving here. Go ahead and verbally insulate what I said against what everyone chooses to believe and make me the odd one out. I have learned to see beyond psychological class warfare and type cast social narratives.

Series of ancestral reproductions mutually evolving in a parallel time frame as conceived to decomposed not rationalizing things cradle to grave with out of sight out of mind philosophies and mob rule demanding everyone justify their behavior 24/7. Big Brother governance and all that jazz.
    It's too bad you choose to not write in normal, lucid English. There is no way for me to tell if this word salad has anything interesting to say.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,070 Times in 7,502 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

Sometimes I resent having to be conscious for too long at one time.
    When confronted with a question like our resident Russian asks, I generally take a nap instead.
    Why go out of your way to make your brain hurt?
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Sometimes I resent having to be conscious for too long at one time.
    When confronted with a question like our resident Russian asks, I generally take a nap instead.

Why go out of your way to make your brain hurt?
    To each their own.

I chose to study and pursue a scientific vocation not for the money, but because I am interested in the deeper questions about the nature of reality and the natural universe.

The alternative to any sort of philosophical-thinking is to stop wondering and stop asking questions about things which go beyond the boundaries of normal day-to-day experience.

On the flip side, there is a lot to be said for the simple aesthetic enjoyments of life. I can give you my list of favorite vodkas on a whim!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

To each their own.

I chose to study and pursue a scientific vocation not for the money, but because I am interested in the deeper questions about the nature of reality and the natural universe. The alternative to philosophical-thinking is to stop wondering and stop asking questions about things which go beyond the boundaries of normal day-to-day experience.

On the flip side, there is a lot to be said for the simple aesthetic enjoyments of life. I can give you my list of favorite vodkas on a whim!
    I far from condemn intellectual pursuits of this nature. I encourage it--for others.
    People are curious, even about things that they lack the mental firepower to contemplate effectively.

I think that the entire universe is merely the random confluence of sub-atomic particles, but I can't even begin to guess the source of the particles.

The more evolved species that replaces us might come closer to answers.

I wonder what's keeping them?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Cypress (07-25-2021)

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

I far from condemn intellectual pursuits of this nature. I encourage it--for others.
    People are curious, even about things that they lack the mental firepower to contemplate effectively.

I think that the entire universe is merely the random confluence of sub-atomic particles, but I can't even begin to guess the source of the particles.

It is there for those who desire to know.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The big mystery to me is that if we are nothing but a collection of quarks and leptons, how does that explain consciousness?

There is nothing inherent about quarks which would seemingly result in consciousness, let alone result in abstract or creative thinking. Consciousness seems like an emergent property, aka we are greater than the sum of our parts.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The big mystery to me is that if we are nothing but a collection of quarks and leptons, how does that explain consciousness?

There is nothing inherent about quarks which would seemingly result in consciousness, let alone result in abstract or creative thinking. Consciousness seems like an emergent property, aka we are greater than the sum of our parts.
    Or, consciousness is a property of particles. At least a possibility. No need to appeal to theory of emergence.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't find it that impressive.
    At least 75% of it doesn't lead to anything good, right?

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Or, consciousness is a property of particles. At least a possibility. No need to appeal to theory of emergence.
    Right, it is possible.

I do not categorically rule it out, although the scientists are currently saying panpsychism is still highly speculative.

Emergence still has some appeal to me. I cannot fathom how a collection of quarks can explain Michaelangelo, Raphael, or Mozart.

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Right, it is possible.

I do not categorically rule it out, although the scientists are currently saying panpsychism is still highly speculative.

Emergence still has some appeal to me. I cannot fathom how a collection of quarks can explain Michael Angelo, Raphael" or Mozart.
    Like I said, panpsychism is not a scientific idea. I am not aware of any scientist even mentioning it.

How can a quark explain anything? I don't see the problem.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Like I said, panpsychism is not a scientific idea. I am not aware of any scientist even mentioning it.

How can a quark explain anything? I don't see the problem.
    The physicists in post #1 reportedly are leveraging the principle of panpsychism.

The tenets of reductionism and materialism, strictly speaking, assert that all reality can be boiled down to quarks and leptons. That is all there is to reality.

My instinct is that emergence is functionally true. I doubt that biology and genetics reduce down to particle physics. There are emergent properties of biology which are irreducible and cannot be explained by a collection of quarks - aka, culture, consciousness, language, creativity, art, religion.