Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, Yakuda and jakemax

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hegel vs. Kierkegaard

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    No. I think you completely ignored everything I said.
    You continue to insist that thoughts are objectively true.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Never said it. YOU said it.

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,686 Times in 27,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

We live in an upside down and backwards world that quite a few young folk refuse to be complicit in. Yesterday PostmodernProphet told me these kids will grow up and go along with the narrative. He may be partly right but that leaves plenty of young adults who still believe they can change the world. They need to be encouraged to trust their rationale.
    I would not trust PMP to be a sage of wisdom on the trajectory of this world.

Intelligent young adults have always been interested in counter culture, avante garde, finding meaning in life.

That hasn't changed at least since the 1960s.

In all my years in college and university I never got any measurable impression I was a prisoner in an indoctrination factory. I really think the only people who say that are Deplorables who never went to college, and are parroting what rightwing media personalities told them.

I also do not think young adults necessarily have an aversion to tradition and ancient wisdom. Robert André LaFleur of Holy Cross College claims that classes in Asian and Eastern philosophy routinely have healthy and robust enrollment numbers at universities across North America and Europe.

That tells me there is an abiding interest in ancient wisdom among many young adults.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-18-2021)

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

An example. Some people believe that Trump won the election. That statement is objective. But its objectivity is not a claim that it is true Trump won the election.

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

Intelligent young adults have always been interested in counter culture, avante garde, finding meaning in life.

In all my years in college and university I never got any measurable impression I was a prisoner in an indoctrination factory. I really think the only people who say that are Deplorables who never went to college, and are parroting what rightwing media personalities told them.

I also do not think young adults necessarily have an aversion to tradition and ancient wisdom. Robert André LaFleur of Holy Cross College claims that classes in Asian and Eastern philosophy routinely have healthy and robust enrollment numbers at universities across North America and Europe.

That tells me there is an abiding interest in ancient wisdom among many young adults.
    Student debt in a gig economy is the reality young adults are forced to deal with. It's the establishment who want to break the tradition of higher learning with online vocational training that doesn't allow for interpersonal skills or economic mobility. Amazon is a perfect example of the return to proletariat and bourgeoisie (us and them).

Einstein was a patent clerk and special relativity was his hobby. Our broken system no longer allows the cream to rise to the top. Bezos and Musk became billionaires because of corporate welfare and slave labor. Bezos lost money for 20 years until he was given a government contract to hand over all his customer information. This is the world we live in.

7. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

An example. Some people believe that Trump won the election. That statement is objective. But its objectivity is not a claim that it is true Trump won the election.
    It's time for me to get stoned, Cousin. We'll have to work this out when I'm blasted.

8. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Einstein was a patent clerk and special relativity was his hobby.
    Einstein had a Phd in physics.

9. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Einstein was one of the few people smart enough to understand all the types of patents that were filed at that time.

10. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,414 Times in 53,284 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've noticed that at my univ. too.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (07-18-2021)

12. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are correct and the goat is wrong, of course.

"Born on 14 March 1879 in Ulm, Germany, Albert Einstein was the most impactful physicist of the 20th century. He received a bachelor’s degree from Swiss Federal Polytechnic in 1900 and a PhD from the University of Zurich in 1905. Einstein’s career famously began at a patent office in Bern, Switzerland, where he had time to ponder big questions in physics after reviewing patent applications." ( https://physicstoday.scitation.org/d...5.031434/full/ )
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (07-18-2021)

14. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Student debt in a gig economy is the reality young adults are forced to deal with. It's the establishment who want to break the tradition of higher learning with online vocational training that doesn't allow for interpersonal skills or economic mobility. Amazon is a perfect example of the return to proletariat and bourgeoisie (us and them).

Einstein was a patent clerk and special relativity was his hobby. Our broken system no longer allows the cream to rise to the top. Bezos and Musk became billionaires because of corporate welfare and slave labor. Bezos lost money for 20 years until he was given a government contract to hand over all his customer information. This is the world we live in.
    I do not pay attention to Besos and Musk, and have no interest in them.

Freedom to advance and succeed in science is better today than it was in the early 19th century, when Einstein was getting started. I do not look at 1905 as the good old days. Certainly women and minorities had almost no opportunities in science 100 years ago.

Einstein may not have been able to land a tenure track professorship after grad school. But the Bern patent office job obviously gave him plenty of free time to think and write. I would hardly call special relativity a mere hobby for Einstein. He wrote three landmark papers in 1905, any one of which would have made a physicist's career. Brownian motion, the photo electric effect, and special relativity. Physics was not a hobby for Einstein, even during his short stint at the Bern patent office - it was his passion.

15. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I've noticed that at my univ. too.

Confucianism is making a big comeback in people's Republic of China, even though until the 1990s the Communist party actively discouraged any promotion of Confucianism as counter to revolutionary spirit.

It seemingly suggests, even after 2,500 years, people have a thirst for the ancient wisdom.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-19-2021)

17. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Confucianism is making a big comeback in people's Republic of China, even though until the 1990s the Communist party actively discouraged any promotion of Confucianism as counter to revolutionary spirit.

It seemingly suggests, even after 2,500 years, people have a thirst for the ancient wisdom.
    Our human natures require more than just food, shelter, family, community.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (07-19-2021)