Thread: Restaurant workers are quitting in droves. That might not change anytime soon

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,618 Times in 9,138 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

Default Restaurant workers are quitting in droves. That might not change anytime soon

They need to raise wages for one thing and I would be concerned about the unvaccinated and getting covid-19 too?!!

I only do takeout at restaurants now and for the foreseeable future too?!!

New York (CNN Business) Restaurant workers are calling it quits just as people are starting to dine out again and restaurants rush to reopen.InMay, the rate of quits per share of employment in the accommodation and food services sector, which includes restaurants, was 5.7%, according to seasonally adjusted data released this week by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That figure held steady from the month prior, and is higher than the quit rate across all sectors, which fell from 2.8% in April to 2.5% in May.

Restaurant workers have had a challenging time during the pandemic. Many had to close their dining rooms early in the pandemic, some of them permanently. It was months before those that survived could return to serving guests at full capacity, and many had to close periodically if staffers got sick or were exposed to Covid-19. Many workers were laid off suddenly, and some left the industry for good.

Servers in particular put themselves at risk of contracting Covid-19 by interacting with customers. On top of that, they had to police customers who pushed back on mask or social distancing policies — without risking losing tips by offending or upsetting them.

"People had to actually work harder to show that they were friendly and welcoming, despite the fact that their smile was covered up by a mask," said Alicia Ann Grandey, a psychology professor at Penn State who specializes in labor issues. "Trying to put on that friendly demeanor, even in the face of work stress and hostile customers, is linked to turnover," she added.

With a high rate of employees quitting, more could follow, according to those who study labor relations, perpetuating the high rates. To keep them on board, restaurants may have to improve what they offer.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/busin...tes/index.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can't blame them to be concern over covid, because there are so many refusing to be vaccinated.
    Lock Him Up

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 69 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    I can't blame them to be concern over covid, because there are so many refusing to be vaccinated.
    our bodies...our choice... isn't that what you libtards scream all the time?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Before the pandemic I said that the restaurant industry was over built by and will shrink by 30% as the recession/depression hits.

I am now at over 50%.

Buckle Up.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!