Thread: Pellet Grills

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,969 Times in 14,556 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 949 Times in 933 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Pellet Grills

I have a Z Grill pellet grill and it does a good job cooking brisket. I also have an off set smoker but if I don't wan't to devote the day to tending the fire I use the pellet grill. It's set and forget. It has a blue tooth thermometer that you can watch on your smart phone. I BBQ smoked some chicken legs yesterday in the pellet grill and they turned out perfect. I washed them a patted dry. Then soaked them in 50/50 mix of Stubs original BBQ sauce and pineapple juice. I used a chicken leg rack to stand them up. I smoked them until done and basted them with more BBQ sauce/pineapple juice every 30 minutes or so. I made them primarily for my grandson who says "Grandpa makes the best chicken" . But hey what does he know he is only 3.

So do any of you use pellet grills and what do you like to cook? Any recipes.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I just purchased one about the time you posted this. Mine is a small Pit Boss. I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ve done turkeys, chickens, ribs and of course some brisket. I’ve also incorporated my wild game into it as well. Some deer and my favorite…squirrel. I like putting a whole seasoned squirrel in a foil pouch with a quartered potato a few slivers of onion. A few hours in the smoker and it’s mighty tasty. Squirrel is my favorite wild game. I have a YouTube channel where I placed an instructional video for skinning them.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    I have a Z Grill pellet grill and it does a good job cooking brisket. I also have an off set smoker but if I don't wan't to devote the day to tending the fire I use the pellet grill. It's set and forget. It has a blue tooth thermometer that you can watch on your smart phone. I BBQ smoked some chicken legs yesterday in the pellet grill and they turned out perfect. I washed them a patted dry. Then soaked them in 50/50 mix of Stubs original BBQ sauce and pineapple juice. I used a chicken leg rack to stand them up. I smoked them until done and basted them with more BBQ sauce/pineapple juice every 30 minutes or so. I made them primarily for my grandson who says "Grandpa makes the best chicken" . But hey what does he know he is only 3.

So do any of you use pellet grills and what do you like to cook? Any recipes.
    I'm the sideways smoker type. Yeah, you got to get it going and then maintain it a few times before your stuff's done.

It's my smoker though, and I got it downpat. I use the 3 finger thermometer and know it needs need 3-5 pieces of Oak in it to maintain temp.

I have plenty of Oak. And Hickory, and Cherry, and Maple, and Citrus, and sometimes Pecan.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Dillon For This Post:

leaningright (11-19-2021)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    I'm the sideways smoker type. Yeah, you got to get it going and then maintain it a few times before your stuff's done.

It's my smoker though, and I got it downpat. I use the 3 finger thermometer and know it needs need 3-5 pieces of Oak in it to maintain temp.
    I have an
    I have plenty of Oak. And Hickory, and Cherry, and Maple, and Citrus, and sometimes Pecan.
    I have an offset smoker that I cook brisket on unless I'm feeling lazy.. I'll be cooking a Turkey on Wednesday on the Pell smoker its just damn easy
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

Matt Dillon (11-21-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I just purchased one about the time you posted this. Mine is a small Pit Boss. I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ve done turkeys, chickens, ribs and of course some brisket. I’ve also incorporated my wild game into it as well. Some deer and my favorite…squirrel. I like putting a whole seasoned squirrel in a foil pouch with a quartered potato a few slivers of onion. A few hours in the smoker and it’s mighty tasty. Squirrel is my favorite wild game. I have a YouTube channel where I placed an instructional video for skinning them.

Hmm interesting.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!