Thread: Pizza

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,176 Times in 14,712 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Being proud of making your own pizza dough is like being proud of growing your own rice. Yeah, you can do it, by why bother. Just buy the dough...ten times easier and almost always works out better.

Anyway...I make my own pizza just about every week during football season. Vary the toppings. But here is a look at my mushroom pizza. (sometimes I make it with sauted eggplant bits and sliced green bell peppers.)

Your cheese looks brown in places. Watch Vito's reaction to browning the cheese at around 12:20. He is critiquing a video on the internet. Vito grew up in a Pizza Restaurant in Italy and owns a couple of Pizza restaurants in L.A.
    Last edited by ExpressLane; 06-26-2021 at 09:02 AM.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    My Aunt Katy owned a very successful Pizza business- KATY'S PIZZA here in Dallas for decades! She supplied bars and other eating/drinking establishments with home made half/baked pizzas that they would finish cooking, in about 10 minutes or less, in professional stainless steel pizza ovens that she also supplied the bars.

It was a great business, as her pizzas were basically sold on consignment, and she had her pizzas in over 100 bars in the area. She sold 1000's of her pizzas weekly.

You can buy these ovens now on Amazon. And there are plenty of used ones at every Restaurant supply store as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KB28CFX...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Sounds good is her restaurant still open or did she even have a restaurant? Was is just a wholesale pizza business without a restaurant? Where in Dallas was it or is it? Also have you ever eat at Campisi's in Dallas. It's a little different style but it's good.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,262 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    Sounds good is her restaurant still open. Where in Dallas was it or is it? Also have you ever eat at Campisi's in Dallas. It's a little different style but it's good.
    Oh yes, been going to Campisi's since the 60's! It used to be one of my favorite places to take my High School dates.

NO! The city of Dallas passed a law that required someone on her staff to have a commercial Food Handler's license that can be obtained through the County Colleges and passing a test with the state! So she sold her business to someone else and she went back into the Nightclub business!

But, My Dad and I would help her out part-time by delivering her pizzas that her and her husband made up at their business location- it was like an old Donut shop with plenty of refrigeration and stainless tables etc. IT WAS A LOT OF FUN.

IT WAS A GREAT BUSINESS PLAN that I would highly recommend to anyone as it is a business that sells. It basically turns any bar into an instant pizza SPA!

Nothing like knocking down a pitcher of BEER and a hot pizza while you watch the band play- or the game of the week!

My aunt was a good looking lady and had a stand up cutout made of her serving one of her pizzas in a sexy dress- that read "Katy's pizzas sold here"! Or she had a little sign that would go in a window etc.

TABC now requires bars to actually have something to eat available such as Nuts, Chips, or whatever- and PIZZA is nice!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 06-26-2021 at 09:16 AM.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Pizza Rules

Pizza is supposed to be inexpensive and fun so
    no $2000 oven
    no $3 a pound flour
    no imported tomatoes
    no store bought dough

Learn to make dough from scratch and get your grandkids involved to pass on the tradition.
    Less is more, no meat pies to cover up the taste of the bread and sauce you took hours making.
    Pizza is working class food that can feed an entire family for 10 bucks.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

She sounds like she was a good business woman. i like Campisi's I worked with Trina Campisi who was old man Campisi's niece. Did you ever eat pizza at the Taboo room on Lemon and Loma Alto?

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Pizza Rules

Pizza is supposed to be inexpensive and fun so
    no $2000 oven
    no $3 a pound flour
    no imported tomatoes
    no store bought dough

Learn to make dough from scratch and get your grandkids involved to pass on the tradition.
    Less is more, no meat pies to cover up the taste of the bread and sauce you took hours making.
    Pizza is working class food that can feed an entire family for 10 bucks.

I do like 00 flour though. I need to see if I can find it a Central Market because my Krogers does not carry it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

goat (06-26-2021)

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I do like 00 flour though. I need to see if I can find it a Central Market because my Krogers does not carry it.
    Americans believe if it cost a lot of money than it must be better. I started out loading my pizza with meat until I learned how to make healthy and tasty bread.

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Americans believe if it cost a lot of money than it must be better. I started out loading my pizza with meat until I learned how to make healthy and tasty bread.
    I like Margherita style pizza but I do occasionally make a hamburger black olive and jalapeno pizza to change things up. I'll make a veggie lover's pizza for my vegetarian wife. Sometimes I'll throw on some Morning Star veggie sausage on her pizza.

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I like Margherita style pizza but I do occasionally make a hamburger black olive and jalapeno pizza to change things up. I'll make a veggie lover's pizza for my vegetarian wife. Sometimes I'll throw on some Morning Star veggie sausage on her pizza.
    I make an Americanized Sicilian pizza big enough to fill every square inch of the oven rack. I use a sourdough starter with about 30% to 50% whole grain at 72% hydration. No one will eat my 100% whole grain bread.

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I make an Americanized Sicilian pizza big enough to fill every square inch of the oven rack. I use a sourdough starter with about 30% to 50% whole grain at 72% hydration. No one will eat my 100% whole grain bread.
    I like a 70% hydration it makes a very nice dough. Hay you ever tried a poolish or a biga technique? I agree about a 100% whole grain. I don't even cook 100% whole grain bread. Are you cooking it on a pan?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

goat (06-26-2021)

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I like a 70% hydration it makes a very nice dough. Hay you ever tried a poolish or a biga technique? I agree about a 100% whole grain. I don't even cook 100% whole grain bread. Are you cooking it on a pan?
    A sourdough starter doesn't really need a poolish or biga. I autolyse my whole grains for a few hours then add unbleached bread flour right before kneading. Like you, I also use half the recommended salt. A good pizza requires a really good bread. I make a thin focaccia without all the oil, then add sauce and top with a little cheese and tell everyone it's pizza.

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

A sourdough starter doesn't really need a poolish or biga. I autolyse my whole grains for a few hours then add unbleached bread flour right before kneading. Like you, I also use half the recommended salt. A good pizza requires a really good bread. I make a thin focaccia without all the oil, then add sauce and top with a little cheese and tell everyone it's pizza.
    Sounds delish take a pic next time you make it.

How much water and flour and how long do you use.
    Last edited by ExpressLane; 06-26-2021 at 01:58 PM.

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sounds delish take a pic next time you make it.

How much water and flour and how long do you use.
    All of my doughs add up to a 72% hydration: sourdough starter 100% hydration, whole grain autolyse 100% hydration for 3 hours, and enough water for the bread flour to bring it down to 72% hydration. I'm not good enough to work with dough wetter than that. I don't like the taste of fried bread so I use parchment paper instead of oil for my focaccia pizza crust.

I lied about expense in my pizza rules because I prefer a high quality salami instead of cheap, greasy pepperoni, it doesn't add that much to the overall cost. The less oil, grease, and salt on a pizza the better. Where I come from a pizza should be able to sit on the counter at room temperature for everyone to grab a snack as they get home. Another reasons to pass down the tradition.

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ooo! I gotta put together a taco pizza from Hungry shitheads.

Will review in a bit, maybe.

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Taco Pizza from Hungry Howie's is A-OK!