Thread: What Critical Race Theory Teaches

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    It's teaching HISTORY. Not racial hated. You are waaaay off base, dude.
    What about The Holocaust? Should we stop teaching that, too.

The 'Holocaust' was perpetuated by the 'Enemy', it doesn't divide Americans.

When Rome enslaved other Europeans, it was seen as Victors enslaving Losers.
    It was 'white' people enslaving 'white' people for no other reason than losing some Battle.

Slavery in America is framed differently. The Narrative for slavery in America is 'White Superiority'.
    Africans becoming Slaves in Africa after losing some Battle is never mentioned.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    like the white high school that threw tortillas at the mexican school at a basket ball game here in san diego?

who taught that?

link?

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    You’re free to read cawacko’s posts and I’m free to ignore him.

It's probably best you don't leave your own shell. It's safer that way.

4. The Following User Groans At Jack For This Awful Post:

Phantasmal (06-24-2021)

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's probably best you don't leave your own shell. It's safer that way.
    It has nothing to do with his politics.

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Nobody here will be talking about crt in 12-18 months.

It is this year's "War on Christmas."
    Sounds about right. After this one fails to gain traction, they'll come up with a new one to anger and enrage their potential voters.

Republicans have to keep their voters hating on liberals.

They need a constant supply of reasons.

When the old ones get stale they have to be replaced.

One day CRT will be as stale as Freedom Fries.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (06-24-2021)

8. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I said the teaching of American history begins in the fifth grade. They can teach about racism and make it age appropriate. You always distort my posts, it’s called obsession.
    I agree with this --->"They can teach about racism and make it age appropriate."

9. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

10. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,327 Times in 6,017 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 602 Times in 566 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    If you got to choose one or two big things what do you think is being left out of our current curriculum today in terms of teaching history?
    Shackleton's Antarctic Voyage of the Endurance.
    Clair Patterson vs. Ethyl Lead & General Motors.
    The True Story of the Bridge over the River Kwai.
    Last edited by Joe Capitalist; 06-24-2021 at 05:37 PM.
    Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

11. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ZappasGuitar,

Nice thread!

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    These are the facts America's White GOP Males don't want taught to our children:

“In 1866, one year after the 13 Amendment was ratified (the amendment that ended slavery), Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina began to lease out convicts for labor (peonage). This made the business of arresting Blacks very lucrative, which is why hundreds of White men were hired by these states as police officers. Their primary responsibility was to search out and arrest Blacks who were in violation of Black Codes. Once arrested, these men, women and children would be leased to plantations where they would harvest cotton, tobacco, sugar cane. Or they would be leased to work at coal mines, or railroad companies. The owners of these businesses would pay the state for every prisoner who worked for them; prison labor.

It is believed that after the passing of the 13th Amendment, more than 800,000 Blacks were part of the system of peonage, or re-enslavement through the prison system. Peonage didn’t end until after World War II began, around 1940.

This is how it happened.

The 13th Amendment declared that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." (Ratified in 1865)

Did you catch that?

It says, “neither slavery nor involuntary servitude could occur except as a punishment for a crime.” Lawmakers used this phrase to make petty offenses crimes. When Blacks were found guilty of committing these crimes, they were imprisoned and then leased out to the same businesses that lost slaves after the passing of the 13th Amendment. This system of convict labor is called peonage.

The majority of White Southern farmers and business owners hated the 13th Amendment because it took away slave labor. As a way to appease them, the federal government turned a blind eye when southern states used this clause in the 13th Amendment to establish laws called Black Codes.

Here are some examples of Black Codes:

In Louisiana, it was illegal for a Black man to preach to Black congregations without special permission in writing from the president of the police. If caught, he could be arrested and fined. If he could not pay the fines, which were unbelievably high, he would be forced to work for an individual, or go to jail or prison where he would work until his debt was paid off. If a Black person did not have a job, he or she could be arrested and imprisoned on the charge of vagrancy or loitering.

This next Black Code will make you cringe. In South Carolina, if the parent of a Black child was considered vagrant, the judicial system allowed the police and/or other government agencies to “apprentice” the child to an "employer". Males could be held until the age of 21, and females could be held until they were 18. Their owner had the legal right to inflict punishment on the child for disobedience, and to recapture them if they ran away.

This (peonage) is an example of systemic racism - Racism established and perpetuated by government systems. Slavery was made legal by the U.S. Government. Segregation, Black Codes, Jim Crow and peonage were all made legal by the government, and upheld by the judicial system. These acts of racism were built into the system, which is where the term “Systemic Racism” is derived.

This is the part of "Black History" that most of us were never told about.”

#damonkrobertsrealtor

And now Republicans are saying that: since the worst they are doing is suppressing the black vote in gray legal ways, that it's not systemic racism.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-24-2021), ZappasGuitar (06-25-2021)

13. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    Shackleton's Antarctic Voyage in the Endurance.
    Clair Patterson vs. Ethyl Lead & General Motors.
    The True Story of the Bridge over the River Kwai.
    Thank you, looks like I got me some reading to do.

I was thinking in context of more racial history in line with the OP. We teach about slavery and Jim Crow and the civil rights movement among other topics. What, if anything, would you like to see added in that regard?

14. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

No
    No
    Yes
    Yes

I learned about the Salem witch trials, why not these other subjects.

I think they should be taught the truth about the Indigenous people and how they were treated.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-24-2021)

16. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    For those who claim to want to have an "honest discussion" your first two questions are fair to ask. This can apply outside the gov't as well but we'll stick to the gov't for this discussion. There have been many well meaning and well intentioned gov't programs in the past that turned out to have negative unintended consequences. You're basically trying to teach white kids (at least in California many public schools are heavily Asian or Hispanic so I don't know how this applies to them but that's for another discussion) about their privilege and that they are basically racist and oppressors.

Now we know many (white) adults don't particularly like being called racist and will deny that they are. They also don't like to be told that they are supporters of white supremacy. It remains to be seen how young kids will react to this because it's not out of the realm that they might not do so in a positive way.

How all this is handled will have a major determination in the "success" of such a program.
    Liberals are not telling people those ugly things. That nonsense is what the giant strawman the right is building over CRT is made of. False claims about the left.

"The left is telling you that you are racist"

Well, no, the left isn't saying that at all.

Everybody making that claim is from the right.

It's nothing more than their imagination running away with them.

Jumping at shadows. Fearing things that don't exist, things that were never said.

This false victimhood is nothing but a giant straw man.

Having fun tearing apart what you built?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ZappasGuitar (06-25-2021)

18. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thanks. This is kind of humorous. San Diego is 'hispanic' in a historical and cultural way. We're all taught to read 'Los Osos Negros' in Third grade. Most every thing there has a Spanish name. 'Zorro' is our hero. And everyone is taught about the '21 Missions a Days Walk Apart' that was the creation of California.
    Interesting story. Thanks for the link.

19. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,242 Times in 13,389 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    These are the facts America's White GOP Males don't want taught to our children:

“In 1866, one year after the 13 Amendment was ratified (the amendment that ended slavery), Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina began to lease out convicts for labor (peonage). This made the business of arresting Blacks very lucrative, which is why hundreds of White men were hired by these states as police officers. Their primary responsibility was to search out and arrest Blacks who were in violation of Black Codes. Once arrested, these men, women and children would be leased to plantations where they would harvest cotton, tobacco, sugar cane. Or they would be leased to work at coal mines, or railroad companies. The owners of these businesses would pay the state for every prisoner who worked for them; prison labor.

It is believed that after the passing of the 13th Amendment, more than 800,000 Blacks were part of the system of peonage, or re-enslavement through the prison system. Peonage didn’t end until after World War II began, around 1940.

This is how it happened.

The 13th Amendment declared that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." (Ratified in 1865)

Did you catch that?

It says, “neither slavery nor involuntary servitude could occur except as a punishment for a crime.” Lawmakers used this phrase to make petty offenses crimes. When Blacks were found guilty of committing these crimes, they were imprisoned and then leased out to the same businesses that lost slaves after the passing of the 13th Amendment. This system of convict labor is called peonage.

The majority of White Southern farmers and business owners hated the 13th Amendment because it took away slave labor. As a way to appease them, the federal government turned a blind eye when southern states used this clause in the 13th Amendment to establish laws called Black Codes.

Here are some examples of Black Codes:

In Louisiana, it was illegal for a Black man to preach to Black congregations without special permission in writing from the president of the police. If caught, he could be arrested and fined. If he could not pay the fines, which were unbelievably high, he would be forced to work for an individual, or go to jail or prison where he would work until his debt was paid off. If a Black person did not have a job, he or she could be arrested and imprisoned on the charge of vagrancy or loitering.

This next Black Code will make you cringe. In South Carolina, if the parent of a Black child was considered vagrant, the judicial system allowed the police and/or other government agencies to “apprentice” the child to an "employer". Males could be held until the age of 21, and females could be held until they were 18. Their owner had the legal right to inflict punishment on the child for disobedience, and to recapture them if they ran away.

This (peonage) is an example of systemic racism - Racism established and perpetuated by government systems. Slavery was made legal by the U.S. Government. Segregation, Black Codes, Jim Crow and peonage were all made legal by the government, and upheld by the judicial system. These acts of racism were built into the system, which is where the term “Systemic Racism” is derived.

This is the part of "Black History" that most of us were never told about.”

#damonkrobertsrealtor
    Interesting, but what does that have to do with CRT? Couldn't that be taught as a small part of a general US history class?

20. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,327 Times in 6,017 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 602 Times in 566 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I still think the term Critical Race Theory is still being thrown about in a confusing manor.

Critical Race Theory is just a theory that asks the question, "Is racism Systematic in America?

Some say it is, others will try and disagree.

But let's not make the term CRT something it is not!
    Right Wing Media is using CRT to trigger their base. Dr. Seuss, Mr. Potato Head didn't stick so this is their 'Flavor of the Month'.

But they have to cheat to make their point:
    https://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-repo...WbEsS1Fg7CQwYL
    Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

21. The Following User Groans At Joe Capitalist For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-25-2021)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (06-26-2021)