Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting off unemployment benefits early isn't pushing ppl to find work, data suggests

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Werewolf Cutting off unemployment benefits early isn't pushing ppl to find work, data suggests

Cutting off unemployment benefits early is not pushing people to find work, data suggests

snip> Congress raised weekly aid by $600 in the early days of the Covid pandemic. Lawmakers also gave funds to the long-term unemployed and groups like the self-employed and gig workers who are typically ineligible for state benefits.

Job hunting has been muted in 12 states that opted out of federal unemployment programs in recent weeks, suggesting the policy may not be working as planned, according to a new analysis by job site Indeed.

The states ended the pandemic-era benefits — including an extra $300 a week — about three months ahead of their Sept. 6 expiration.

Job searches are about 4% below the national average in Alaska, Iowa, Mississippi and Missouri, which stopped paying the federal benefits as of June 12, according to the analysis published Tuesday.

Activity is 1% lower in eight states — Alabama, Idaho, Indiana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, West Virginia and Wyoming — that ended them June 19.

They’re the first among a total of 25 states, all led by Republican governors, withdrawing from federal unemployment programs to encourage recipients to look for work amid record job openings.

But the Indeed data — which measures clicks on job posts — suggests the opposite dynamic of what one would expect, given the policy intent of ending benefits early, according to Indeed economist AnnElizabeth Konkel.

“People in those states are less likely to be searching than your average jobseeker right now,” she said.

Generous benefits offer an incentive to stay home and make it difficult for businesses to hire, the governors claim. Critics say benefits aren’t having a large effect on worker decisions and that curtailing funds will harm the economy by cutting household spending.

“You’d think they’d be searching more,” Konkel said. “At least right now, this does push back on the idea that federal unemployment benefits are the main reason there are labor market frictions.”

more @ source
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,875 Times in 8,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Cutting off unemployment benefits early is not pushing people to find work, data suggests

snip> Congress raised weekly aid by $600 in the early days of the Covid pandemic. Lawmakers also gave funds to the long-term unemployed and groups like the self-employed and gig workers who are typically ineligible for state benefits.

Job hunting has been muted in 12 states that opted out of federal unemployment programs in recent weeks, suggesting the policy may not be working as planned, according to a new analysis by job site Indeed.

The states ended the pandemic-era benefits — including an extra $300 a week — about three months ahead of their Sept. 6 expiration.

Job searches are about 4% below the national average in Alaska, Iowa, Mississippi and Missouri, which stopped paying the federal benefits as of June 12, according to the analysis published Tuesday.

Activity is 1% lower in eight states — Alabama, Idaho, Indiana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, West Virginia and Wyoming — that ended them June 19.

They’re the first among a total of 25 states, all led by Republican governors, withdrawing from federal unemployment programs to encourage recipients to look for work amid record job openings.

But the Indeed data — which measures clicks on job posts — suggests the opposite dynamic of what one would expect, given the policy intent of ending benefits early, according to Indeed economist AnnElizabeth Konkel.

“People in those states are less likely to be searching than your average jobseeker right now,” she said.

Generous benefits offer an incentive to stay home and make it difficult for businesses to hire, the governors claim. Critics say benefits aren’t having a large effect on worker decisions and that curtailing funds will harm the economy by cutting household spending.

“You’d think they’d be searching more,” Konkel said. “At least right now, this does push back on the idea that federal unemployment benefits are the main reason there are labor market frictions.”

more @ source
    Good! Fuck em.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

So many people have built up large banks accounts as the government has handed out trillions in Generational Warfare funds, get back to me in a few months.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,875 Times in 8,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    So many people have built up large banks accounts as the government has handed out trillions in Generational Warfare funds, get back to me in a few months.
    We need a lazy ass passport. If you quit your job fuck you you don't get another one and no welfare or unemployment. Fuck this bullshit

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    We need a lazy ass passport. If you quit your job fuck you you don't get another one and no welfare or unemployment. Fuck this bullshit
    One of the central tenets of Zen is "No Work?....THEN NO EATS!" .
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Speaking about lazy people, why aren't you at work, rather than being on this forum posting foolish nonsense?????????????????????????
    Lock Him Up

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

what huge bank accounts are you referring to.........because I didn't get that memo
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    what huge bank accounts are you referring to.........because I didn't get that memo
    https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PSAVERT

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

did a post the other day.........employers can't find workers because those workers refuse to be slaves working for minimum wage at Walmart, Safeway, Subway, whatever. and many many of the ones graduating college are serving subs too........the big boys at the top have been fearing this situation would occur, knew it eventually had to.

we are literally back in the 1800's, don't have just a handful of Robber Barons this time, we've got hundreds if not thousands of them

this is not sustainable - the top 1% possess 31% of the nation's wealth, the top 10% have 70% of it, and the BOTTOM 50% are left with 2%......that's no typo

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...united-states/

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    did a post the other day.........employers can't find workers because those workers refuse to be slaves working for minimum wage at Walmart, Safeway, Subway, whatever. and many many of the ones graduating college are serving subs too........the big boys at the top have been fearing this situation would occur, knew it eventually had to.

we are literally back in the 1800's, don't have just a handful of Robber Barons this time, we've got hundreds if not thousands of them

this is not sustainable - the top 1% possess 31% of the nation's wealth, the top 10% have 70% of it, and the BOTTOM 50% are left with 2%......that's no typo

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...united-states/
    People are not working because people tend to be lazy, and we have been trained now to expect the government to take care of us whether we lift a finger nor not.

Buckle Up.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

People are not working because people tend to be lazy, and we have been trained now to expect the government to take care of us whether we lift a finger nor not.
    why is it always about you?

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    why is it always about you?
    Notice how you come up with nothing but yet another lie.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

ok, that's extremely accurate because I did that very thing with a new IRA ROFL
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Notice how you come up with nothing but yet another lie.
    huffer ^^

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It cant be emphasized enough how much the WOKE despise all calls for personal responsibility. We saw this clearly going back even two (three?) decades as the Feminists soundly rejected all claims that women had any responsibility to conduct themselves responsibly, to make an attempt to stay out of sexual assault situations. Now they say that working/not working is a lifestyle choice, that those work must take care of all those who have no interest in working.

Buckle Up, this is a road to Hell.