Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'White-Centering Latinxs'

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Definitely something to be said for that. In fact it's an excellent idea. But at least for me as I look at Facebook or the people I follow on Twitter there's no getting away from it. It's front and center in our county's cultural and political discussions. But you are not wrong
    I appreciate the fact you need to understand what your child will be confronted with
    Good for you for learning the ropes and keeping him/her from brainwashing

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't know if happened to follow the story of Allison Collins. She's the black woman on the SF Board of Education that made national headlines recently when her 2016 tweets were unearthed where she said Asians used white supremacist thinking to assimilate and get ahead. I like to read black writers and it gets discussed quite a bit about who is defined as 'authentically black' and usually it's someone who wouldn't assimilate into thinking/behavior of the dominate white culture. And in this story you have white-centering Latnix.

I wish I was more knowledgeable and could speak to internal struggles of the countries you listed. But within America this is going to be an ongoing topic and discussion and after the killing of George Floyd it's only going to accelerate.
    W/out knowing exactly her reasons~ how she came to that conclusion I will say this, Asians, specifically Chinese as an example are prob in every country on the planet.. In the west many assimilate, take on western names(assimilate into the culture), get educated, work hard & succeed etc... A key point here being~ that now days, for the most part, they are accepted while many in the black community, after being here for hundreds of years are not. & again, this is not unique to the USA, Dominican Republic but hopefully something that will be finally addressed..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    In fact, it already has race relations running in reverse.
    ?? Are the Scots & Irish not getting along in them thar hills??

You live in a 95% white state, go to NYC on vacation this year
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    W/out knowing exactly her reasons~ how she came to that conclusion I will say this, Asians, specifically Chinese as an example are prob in every country on the planet.. In the west many assimilate, take on western names(assimilate into the culture), get educated, work hard & succeed etc... A key point here being~ that now days, for the most part, they are accepted while many in the black community, after being here for hundreds of years are not. & again, this is not unique to the USA, Dominican Republic but hopefully something that will be finally addressed..
    Some Asian people will tell you they've been discriminated against since they've been here and with the violence against them today they themselves aren't accepted. That Allison Collins woman tweeted out that Asians were house n*words for working hard (the assimilating and using white supremacy to their advantage). It was an interesting tweet storm to say the least.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The 95% white state made me laugh. You live in California so you know the deal. I grew up in a City that was at the time we moved there 47% black. I went to a high school that was half white. I went to college in a City where whites were not the majority. I now live in a City where whites are not the majority. Very different world in that sense.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Most Hispanics identify as white.
    It is interesting ... H I S P A N I C ... does anyone see SPAIN in there ... hmmm ... the folks from Spain are white (I'm sure the influx of illegals/refugees has changed that a little) but now these folks are adopting the Brazilian definition of black/white ... ONE drop of WHITE blood makes you a white person vice the opposite here (the real africans feel the same way as the Brazilians).

So now we are back to the identity politics crap and more of the divide and conquor.

Thank you hojo and the dims

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

I guess my stunning, beautiful late ( ) wife, Creole with a "Big "C", (NOLA natives will know what that means) ...is now "white", too. Won't she be surprised....
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Not sure NYC is high on my list of vacation destinations lol.

There was a time it might have been, but yeah.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Grokmaster (06-24-2021)

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

hadn't heard of Latinx before......do you pronounce it La---tin---ex or La-tincks.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Grokmaster (06-24-2021)

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,549 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Some Asian people will tell you they've been discriminated against since they've been here and with the violence against them today they themselves aren't accepted. That Allison Collins woman tweeted out that Asians were house n*words for working hard (the assimilating and using white supremacy to their advantage). It was an interesting tweet storm to say the least.
    This is the “why” the Asian folks are succeeding IMO. It’s the same recipe for anyone of any color to succeed in this country. Every friend of color that I have has followed this recipe just as I have tried to do. It works. People should give it a try. Takes sacrifice, saying no to certain activities at certain times, focusing on the now for the purpose of the future instead of the now. There can be setbacks for anybody but you get back hop and make up the lost ground. I’ve been doing a series of sermons I titled “What Fathers Should Teach Their Children.” The billeted points, divided into 5 sermons were:

1. That God Is Real
    2. That Being A Religious Person Is A Good Thing
    3. That The Word Of God Is The Answer
    4. That The Church Is Vitally Important
    5. That Life Isn’t Always Fair
    6. That Conviction Can Bring You Into Un-fun Situations
    7. That Refusing To Compromise What Is Right Can Change Situations
    8. That Right And Wrong Are Important Distinctions
    9. That Being In The Wrong Place Can Harm Them
    10. That Hard Work Will Usually Be Rewarded
    11. To Honor Father And Mother
    12. To Be Law Abiding Citizens
    13. To Be Accountable
    14. To Be Honest; People Of Integrity
    15. To Control Their Anger
    16. To Prepare For Marriage
    17. Where Sex Belongs

I bolded the ones that are directly related to other successes in life, at least in my opinion.

To the OP, it seems that we live in an all or nothing world when it comes to race. For certain folks, if someone isn’t actively promoting the prevalent message concerning race in this country you are against them. It’s why my black friends are called “Uncle Toms” but at the same time are looked at sideways but some of the white folks around here. To me it’s why this Latinx thing is even a thing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Grokmaster (06-24-2021)

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Over the years we have had & seen countless threads dealing w/ this & related issues but few, if any, related to this being somehow unique to the USA, the west or Americas..

They don't play the same way in China? Malaysia? Iran? Israel? India?? Ppl are fucked up in lots of ways & I have always believed they will find countless ways to divide themselves..
    Throughout Asia, light skinned people especially celebrities are preferred on TV for soap operas, films and adverts. That applies in India, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Burma, Malaysia etc.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Grokmaster (06-24-2021)

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I guess that's her opinion.......... Since she is a big wig, I imagine many think the same of her~ using the same kinda stereotypical ignorance..

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The 95% white state made me laugh. You live in California so you know the deal. I grew up in a City that was at the time we moved there 47% black. I went to a high school that was half white. I went to college in a City where whites were not the majority. I now live in a City where whites are not the majority. Very different world in that sense.
    Yep, the world we live is nothing like the green hills Omar is @.

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    Throughout Asia, light skinned people especially celebrities are preferred on TV for soap operas, films and adverts. That applies in India, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Burma, Malaysia etc.
    Yea, it is sad that ppl have a proclivity for division & separation but it seems inherent..

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    This is the “why” the Asian folks are succeeding IMO. It’s the same recipe for anyone of any color to succeed in this country. Every friend of color that I have has followed this recipe just as I have tried to do. It works. People should give it a try. Takes sacrifice, saying no to certain activities at certain times, focusing on the now for the purpose of the future instead of the now. There can be setbacks for anybody but you get back hop and make up the lost ground. I’ve been doing a series of sermons I titled “What Fathers Should Teach Their Children.” The billeted points, divided into 5 sermons were:

1. That God Is Real
    2. That Being A Religious Person Is A Good Thing
    3. That The Word Of God Is The Answer
    4. That The Church Is Vitally Important
    5. That Life Isn’t Always Fair
    6. That Conviction Can Bring You Into Un-fun Situations
    7. That Refusing To Compromise What Is Right Can Change Situations
    8. That Right And Wrong Are Important Distinctions
    9. That Being In The Wrong Place Can Harm Them
    10. That Hard Work Will Usually Be Rewarded
    11. To Honor Father And Mother
    12. To Be Law Abiding Citizens
    13. To Be Accountable
    14. To Be Honest; People Of Integrity
    15. To Control Their Anger
    16. To Prepare For Marriage
    17. Where Sex Belongs

I bolded the ones that are directly related to other successes in life, at least in my opinion.

To the OP, it seems that we live in an all or nothing world when it comes to race. For certain folks, if someone isn’t actively promoting the prevalent message concerning race in this country you are against them. It’s why my black friends are called “Uncle Toms” but at the same time are looked at sideways but some of the white folks around here. To me it’s why this Latinx thing is even a thing.
    I know Asians are not monolithic in that they come from multiple countries and a variety of backgrounds however when it comes to test scores they do better than other group in America. They are far over represented at top Universities in this country based on their numbers. (In fact some Ivy League schools assign negative points to Asian students in admissions because of those over representation numbers.) I also believe they earn more on average than any other group. And they did this without having political power. You see very few Asians in high office or running states or cities. If their method of achieving success is frowned upon because their hard work and cultural beliefs are deemed white supremacy then I don't know what to say.

(The Latinx term to me is more one used by the elite blue check mark twitter brigade. To my knowledge most Hispanics don't refer to themselves in that manner.)