Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is philosophy? Philosophy is an applied science.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Default What is philosophy? Philosophy is an applied science.

Philosophy is an applied science. It’s the machine-tool industry of the mind. We make the intellectual tools that make the intellectual tools. We’re engineering and engineering science. We’re very high up in the value chain so people don’t notice, but that’s what we do.

https://dailynous.com/2021/06/21/how...philosophical/

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default To what extent do you think philosophers today are even still philosophical?

MILLGRAM: OK . . .To answer the question, you have to have a view about what it is to be philosophical, and the problem here is that I have three different views. I worry about this question a lot. I think it’s part of philosophy to be aware of the question, what is it to do philosophy right and what philosophy is. So I can run through the three takes I have really quickly —

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There’s a second take on philosophy that I can’t get away from, which is that it’s a response of a certain kind to the imperative of the Delphic oracle: “Know thyself.” Philosophy requires you not to take things for granted and just—OK, I had a colleague in a previous job who remarked to me that there’s a phrase that nonphilosophers use that philosophers never use. It’s starting a sentence with “My philosophy is,” and he pointed out that what’s going to follow is some view that the person simply will not reconsider or give up—but that’s not what philosophy is about. Philosophy is about noticing that there’s something you’ve been taking for granted, and maybe it’s time to have second thoughts about it.

https://dailynous.com/2021/06/21/how...philosophical/

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

--- CalTech physicist Sean Carrol sees philosophy as a method for interpreting science and for a deeper understanding of physical phenomena ---

In recent years, prominent scientists like Neil deGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye and Stephen Hawking have downplayed the importance of philosophy or even denigrated it. Carroll is not among this crowd.

"There are a lot of scientists and science promoters who have said not entirely complimentary things about philosophy, but that misses the point about what it's for," Carroll said in an interview. "The purpose of philosophy is not to be the handmaiden of science."

Though his Ph.D. is in physics, Carroll has a strong interest in philosophy as well, and minored in it in college. He sees philosophy as a method for interpreting science and for a deeper understanding of physical phenomena. He uses philosophical concepts such as causality, determinism and mind-body dualism to explore everything from the tiniest subatomic particles to the accelerating expansion of the universe -- as well as the role humans play somewhere in between.

https://www.insidescience.org/news/s...clear%20forces.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (06-22-2021)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    --- CalTech physicist Sean Carrol sees philosophy as a method for interpreting science and for a deeper understanding of physical phenomena ---

In recent years, prominent scientists like Neil deGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye and Stephen Hawking have downplayed the importance of philosophy or even denigrated it. Carroll is not among this crowd.

"There are a lot of scientists and science promoters who have said not entirely complimentary things about philosophy, but that misses the point about what it's for," Carroll said in an interview. "The purpose of philosophy is not to be the handmaiden of science."

Though his Ph.D. is in physics, Carroll has a strong interest in philosophy as well, and minored in it in college. He sees philosophy as a method for interpreting science and for a deeper understanding of physical phenomena. He uses philosophical concepts such as causality, determinism and mind-body dualism to explore everything from the tiniest subatomic particles to the accelerating expansion of the universe -- as well as the role humans play somewhere in between.

https://www.insidescience.org/news/s...clear%20forces.

No. Philosophy is not about explaining science.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    No. Philosophy is not about explaining science.
    That's not what Sean Carrol said.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (06-22-2021)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's not what Sean Carrol said.
    Because he is a scientist. Why would I use a scientist to explain what another discipline is?!

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Because he is a scientist. Why would I use a scientist to explain what another discipline is?!
    So you disagree with Albert Einstein thinking about science philosophically.

You are probably one of the few people on the planet to think that

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So you disagree with Albert Einstein thinking about science philosophically.
    Not sure I understand that sentence. Einstein can be philosophical about science, sure.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not sure I understand that sentence. Einstein can be philosophical about science, sure.
    I will leave the strict definition of philosophy up to dictionaries and scholars.

I just chimed in because the interesting question to me is how philosophical thinking about causality, determinism, epistemology is a useful intellectual approach in science and other scholarly professions.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (06-22-2021)

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I will leave the strict definition of philosophy up to dictionaries and scholars.

I just chimed in because the interesting question to me is how philosophical thinking about causality, determinism, epistemology is a useful intellectual approach in science and other scholarly professions.
    Right. And I started this thread by giving a philosopher's view of what philosophy is about. Do you wish to respond to his comments?

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"Then there’s a third way of seeing what philosophy is. It’s got central questions that somehow don’t go away. Plato’s Socrates asks — the question is, How should you live? That’s one of them, and Kant had these four questions, right? What can you know, what should you do, and what can you hope for — and the fourth question was, What is it to be a human being?

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 165 Times in 155 Posts

philosophy synonyms
    beliefs, credo, faith, convictions, ideology, ideas, thinking, notions, theories, doctrine, tenets, values, principles, ethics, attitude, line, view, viewpoint, outlook, world view, school of thought

No mention of science. Philosophy is in close association with ethics, that's why it's down here with religion.

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    philosophy synonyms
    beliefs, credo, faith, convictions, ideology, ideas, thinking, notions, theories, doctrine, tenets, values, principles, ethics, attitude, line, view, viewpoint, outlook, world view, school of thought

No mention of science. Philosophy is in close association with ethics, that's why it's down here with religion.
    Philosophy is not mostly ethics. It includes metaphysics, epistemology, and aesthetics. And more.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    philosophy synonyms

Science is a relatively modern term which did not exist for the vast majority of written history.

What we call science today, was called natural philosophy prior to the mid 19th century.

Isaac Newton would have considered himself a natural philosopher. He would not even have recognized the word scientist.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (06-22-2021)