Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the argument for term limits?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I believe in government and thus believe in professional career civil servants, Owl.
    Politics are a revered way of life here in Boston.

I'm also no fan of Joe Sixpack--the "regular guy"--as a representative of the people.
    I trust in what elites can do because making oneself elite is a pretty formidable task, with or without class privilege.
    I suppose that's not the Midwestern mentality, but I am, after all, the quintessential easterner., right?

I guess the reality is that sensible people can have alternate perspectives.
    I am really and truly opposed to term limits.

One other thing about corruption, however. It's not good.
    It's not the slightest bit as costly, however, as bad policy.
    In the long run, enlightened policy diminished by a little insider pork leaves me far, far ahead of bad policy.
    That's an observation that I've made over a lifetime of considering the subject.
    Again, reasonable people can disagree.
    Elite crony capitalism policy gave us endless war and QE. You are essentially supporting and defending the failed policy of bailouts with debt. Young folk are refusing to return to work because the gig economy makes it impossible for them to have a life or a career. The elites have turned the US into a third world country police state. The mandatory door-to-door search for the Boston bomber proved the Bill of Rights is an illusion and that Bostonians are a bunch of racist cowards.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    but it helps keep corruption down. its good.

are you in full shrug?
    when it concerns the inability of people to wake up or stay stupid, yeah.....shrug is about all I can manage
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I absolutely don't agree with them.

I resolutely oppose the 22nd Amendment.

We have elections.
    We can limit the term of any office holder with those.

Ted Kennedy won eight 6 year term Senate races in Massachusetts, although he didn't live to finish the last one, plus a special election for a partial term in 1962.

I was actually too young to vote for him in 1962 and 1964, no 18-year old vote yet for the latter,
    but I voted for him in 1970, 1976, 1982. 1988, 1994, 2000, and 2006.

How was it anybody's business to tell his Massachusetts constituents that they couldn't vote for him?

FDR, possibly the greatest of all US Presidents, was elected four times.
    He would have been President when I was born if he lived to complete his last term.

Terms limits have no reason to exist.
    I can't imagine voting for a man who left a woman to die in a lake, then later named his dog "Splash" (true story) but I have no input as to whether anybody in MA should or shouldn't vote for him. I just have less respect for anybody that did. However if we want to maintain we have citizen leadership we should limit terms so that we can stop folks who believe they are immune from the law from continuing to make laws.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,242 Times in 13,967 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,054 Times in 2,849 Posts

I absolutely don't agree with them.

I resolutely oppose the 22nd Amendment.

We have elections.
    We can limit the term of any office holder with those.

Ted Kennedy won eight 6 year term Senate races in Massachusetts, although he didn't live to finish the last one, plus a special election for a partial term in 1962.

I was actually too young to vote for him in 1962 and 1964, no 18-year old vote yet for the latter,
    but I voted for him in 1970, 1976, 1982. 1988, 1994, 2000, and 2006.

How was it anybody's business to tell his Massachusetts constituents that they couldn't vote for him?

FDR, possibly the greatest of all US Presidents, was elected four times.
    He would have been President when I was born if he lived to complete his last term.

Terms limits have no reason to exist.
    Just watch any live House or especially Senate hearing and you’ll get plenty of reasons

If we limit President terms, why not other positions, are they not also vulnerable to abusing power

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I can't imagine voting for a man who left a woman to die in a lake, then later named his dog "Splash" (true story) but I have no input as to whether anybody in MA should or shouldn't vote for him. I just have less respect for anybody that did.
    same way here in Texas. We've seen the RINO crap that John Cornyn has done for over a decade........yet the so called 'conservatives' here who complain about his RINO crap still voted for him over a newcomer republican...........proving my point about most people just being braindead.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,072 Times in 7,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    The mandatory door-to-door search for the Boston bomber proved the Bill of Rights is an illusion and that Bostonians are a bunch of racist cowards.
    The mandatory door to door search for the bombers resulted in one dead Chechen murderer and another in prison for life.

The people missing limbs and an eight year old child appreciated the effort.

Other opinions may vary, but I'm Boston to my marrow and quite comfortable with it.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Just watch any live House or especially Senate hearing and you’ll get plenty of reasons

If we limit President terms, why not other positions, are they not also vulnerable to abusing power
    I seriously oppose presidential term limits as well.

The right to limit terms should lie only with the electorate in my view.

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The mandatory door to door search for the bombers resulted in one dead Chechen murderer and another in prison for life.

Other opinions may vary, but I'm Boston to my marrow and quite comfortable with it.
    which is just further proof that even the most 'so called patriot' will gladly surrender the rights and freedoms of their neighbors if it serves their own personal interests.

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

A mandatory door-to-door search is unconstitutional. You support the elite over the constitution.

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I can't imagine voting for a man who left a woman to die in a lake, then later named his dog "Splash" (true story) but I have no input as to whether anybody in MA should or shouldn't vote for him. I just have less respect for anybody that did. However if we want to maintain we have citizen leadership we should limit terms so that we can stop folks who believe they are immune from the law from continuing to make laws.
    I didn't vote for Ted Kennedy because of the morality of his personal life. How the fuck is that my concern?
    Didn't the looney tune "born again" clowns vote for the libertine Trump because they loved his fascistic regressive politics?

I voted for Kennedy because of his votes on the senate floor.

I voted for him because of his commitment to constituent service.

I voted for him for shared ideology.

And fuck anybody who suggests that I shouldn't have voted for him as many times as I wanted to do so.

Was he somewhat corrupted by accumulated power?
    So the fuck what?

Isn't that better than losing a guy whose actual policy was in line with what was beneficial to my life?

I can't think like a goodie two shoes Pollyanna thinks.

There's no point in making rules for a world that you wish existed
    and then trying to apply them to the world that actually exists.

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I didn't vote for Ted Kennedy because of the morality of his personal life. How the fuck is that my concern?
    Didn't the looney tune "born again" clowns vote for the libertine Trump because they loved his fascistic regressive politics?

I voted for him because of his votes on the senate floor.

I voted for him because of his commitment to constituent service.

I voted for him for shared ideology.

And fuck anybody who suggests that I shouldn't have voted for him as many times as I wanted to do so.

Was he somewhat corrupted by accumulated power?
    So the fuck what?

Isn't that better than losing a guy whose actual policy was in line with what was beneficial to my life?

I can't think like a goodie two shoes Pollyanna thinks.

There's no point in making rules for a world that you wish existed
    and then trying to apply them to the world that actually exists.
    Very conservative of you. I'm sure there are folks here that think you shouldn't make changes to laws to make the world more like what you imagine it should be, I just don't believe that they are politically aligned with you if you think that Ted was a "great representative" of anything but political corruption. The reality is, that is what folks do, and the very reason we have an amendment process for the constitution.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The reality is, that is what folks do, and the very reason we have an amendment process for the constitution.
    Having an amendment process was one of the few things that the framers seem to have actually thought out
    while composing a constitution that would get a D- at best in any reputable freshmen law class.

It's pretty useless right now, however.

The procedure to successfully amend requires an alignment of circumstances that's totally impossible in today's extremely polarized environment.

That's why people like you can successfully preserve the states' rights to gleefully fuck up the election process.
    That's why people like me can successfully fight efforts toward term limits.

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    when it concerns the inability of people to wake up or stay stupid, yeah.....shrug is about all I can manage
    that's understandable.

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Having an amendment process was one of the few things that the framers seem to have actually thought out
    while composing a constitution that would get a D- at best in any reputable freshmen law class.

It's pretty useless right now, however.

The procedure to successfully amend requires an alignment of circumstances that's totally impossible in today's extremely polarized environment.

That's why people like you can successfully preserve the states' rights to gleefully fuck up the election process.
    That's why people like me can successfully fight efforts toward term limits.
    you're a totalitarian, of course you hate the constitution.

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    you're a totalitarian, of course you hate the constitution.
    What the fuck would I do without AssHat Zombie?

All this time I thought that I was a Sicilian!