Thread: The Golden City

1. #1 | Top
    Phaedrus Guest

Default The Golden City

Why Green Energy is Good for the US, even if Anthropogenic Global Warming is a Myth

(Original Content, January 23rd, 2009)

First, I'd like to say this isn't an argument against Anthropogenic Global Warming, it is my take on why Green Energy is good regardless of what the two opposing sides of the Anthropogenic Global Warming argument say.

I know, I'm republican and therefore I am supposed to oppose this with every inch of my being, right to the inner core. So why would I argue for this?

Because it is in our nation's self-interest to take ourselves out of the oil loop that causes so many in the Middle East to view us so negatively, whether rightly or wrongly.

We are not seen in the Middle East as an honest broker. A young Arab sees a world where all of the riches of the region are settled into less than 1% of 1% of the population and that the US supports and works to ensure it remains that way (rightly or wrongly we are seen this way). Often we hear how "Mullahs brainwash kids into blowing themselves up in Madrassas". This is a truth, but another truth is it takes very little "brainwashing" to get there because of how we are seen.

While getting off of oil wouldn't solve the problems of the Middle East, it would greatly reduce incentive for the US to have a policy of "Stability" in the region, and directly reduce the idea that the US enforces the lopsided power structure they see reducing their ability to access the luxuries and sometimes even the necessities of the culture.

Not only would it help to deincentivize terrorism against the US, which is a powerful reason alone, it would incentivize production in the US. If we are producing the next generation of "green" products, we are establishing and resetting the economy of the US to continue as a economic and political superpower for the next century. Too often nowadays we hear people speak of how our "best days are behind us" and that the US has reached its peak and is now begun her downfall.

I disagree, if we have the vision and purpose that our culture is so proud of, we are poised to take advantage of and create something that is leaner, meaner and still more powerful. America is not at the peak, we just reached another tor, settled and are looking up at the next leg in the journey. We have a long way to go before we have reached the peak, but we know that Americans, given the right incentive, will find a way to reach it.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Hear, hear!

Excellent post...

3. #3 | Top
    Phaedrus Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    Hear, hear!

Excellent post...
    Thank you.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cool. Where'd he go?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

hey i think i know this guy from politics.com

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grind View Post
    hey i think i know this guy from politics.com
    I know him from another board as well.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.