Members banned from this thread: Althea, CharacterAssassin, ThatOwlWoman, Charoite and Trumpet

Thread: More and more imports from EU are being cut and sourced elsewhere

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default More and more imports from EU are being cut and sourced elsewhere

Now beef along with cars, wine, cheese and a whole host of other products.

EU on notice as Truss announces huge beef trade cuts from bloc to Brexit Britain

LIZ TRUSS said beef imports from the EU to the UK will be cut from 230,000 tonnes this year to 35,000 tonnes in 2022.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...mpaign=organic

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why import from your neighbors, when you can import from the other side of the globe. That's the smart move. (Thank God Primavera isn't an American, we've got enough Dummies over here already)

3. The Following User Groans At Jack For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-19-2021)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-19-2021), Trumpet (06-19-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Why import from your neighbors, when you can import from the other side of the globe. That's the smart move. (Thank God Primavera isn't an American, we've got enough Dummies over here already)
    You really are incredibly stupid and ill informed. We now have the ability once again to buy from anywhere in the world not just from an overpriced cartel like the EU. The UK always used to import apples, wine, lamb and beef from Australia and New Zealand now we can again without interference from the Eurotwats. They have for several decades dumped excess produce on Africa to keep prices artificially high in Europe. This has caused great hardship for African farmers but of course you don't know about that do you?

I know you hate being humiliated by me but the remedy is to get educated although it's probably too late for you. We can still import from the EU ffs, but they'll have to compete with others on price and the Common Agricultural Policy will have to be reformed. They've lost their second biggest contributor to the EU budget, no wonder Macron is pissed off. Ireland is also beginning to realise that they've shot themselves in the foot. The UK is their biggest export market and they are waking up to that realisation.

We will also be able to import beef from the Argentine again, not from the US though unless they stop injecting growth hormones into their cattle.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 06-19-2021 at 03:06 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

anatta (06-19-2021), Jack (06-19-2021), PostmodernProphet (06-19-2021)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    You really are incredibly stupid and ill informed. We now have the ability once again to buy from anywhere in the world not just from an overpriced cartel like the EU. The UK always used to import apples, wine, lamb and beef from Australia and New Zealand now we can again without interference from the Eurotwats. They have for several decades dumped excess produce on Africa to keep prices artificially high in Europe. This has caused great hardship for African farmers but of course you don't know about that do you?

I know you hate being humiliated by me but the remedy is to get educated although it's probably too late for you. We can still import from the EU ffs, but they'll have to compete with others on price and the Common Agricultural Policy will have to be reformed. They've lost their second biggest contributor to the EU budget, no wonder Macron is pissed off. Ireland is also beginning to realise that they've shot themselves in the foot. The UK is their biggest export market and they are waking up to that realisation.

We will also be able to import beef from the Argentine again, not from the US though unless they stop injecting growth hormones into their cattle.
    your concern with growth hormones is excessive.......just ask my seven foot tall children.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-19-2021)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    your concern with growth hormones is excessive.......just ask my seven foot tall children.......
    The UK has probably the highest animal welfare standards in the world, hormone injecting cattle is done only to increase yields.

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The UK has probably the highest animal welfare standards in the world, hormone injecting cattle is done only to increase yields.
    and how does that harm their welfare?......is it because they get butchered a month earlier?......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

and how does that harm their welfare?......is it because they get butchered a month earlier?......
    https://www.soilassociation.org/caus...-treated-beef/

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

this is the only impact on animals that your link mentions for animals.....

During this time, the cows gain a lot of weight over a short space of time to reach slaughter weight as quickly as possible. They are given hormones and rapidly fattened on grain-based diets.
    like I said, they gain weight faster so die month or so earlier........I'm not seeing how this is a negative impact on their "welfare"......

the article goes on to talk about the negative impact of feedlots, but cattle are raised in feedlots whether they get hormone injections or not.....

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,245 Times in 13,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

Are they in the NBA?

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

this is the only impact on animals that your link mentions for animals.....

like I said, they gain weight faster so die month or so earlier........I'm not seeing how this is a negative impact on their "welfare"......

the article goes on to talk about the negative impact of feedlots, but cattle are raised in feedlots whether they get hormone injections or not.....
    From the article:

1) Carcinogenic properties

In 1999, the Scientific Committee on Veterinary Measures Relating to Public Health (SCVMPH) carried out a review on hormone treated beef. It concluded that estradiol-17β - one of the six hormones commonly used in US beef production – “has to be considered a complete carcinogen” (having the potential to cause cancer). This is because the hormone “exerts both tumour initiating and tumour promoting effects”.

The data available didn’t allow the Committee to quantify the risk of the hormone when it is consumed - for example in hormone treated beef - but the properties are extremely worrying.

The Committee also concluded that there is insufficient data to assess the risks that the other five hormones may present to consumers. In other words, it cannot be proven that their use in food production is acceptably safe.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

they are talking about causing cancer in people......that is irrelevant to animal welfare.......food animals don't live long enough to develop cancer from hormone injections.......

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

they are talking about causing cancer in people......that is irrelevant to animal welfare.......food animals don't live long enough to develop cancer from hormone injections.......
    They are talking about humans getting cancer not cows. The animal welfare aspect is in regards to the factory farming conditions endured by the animals. If you guys are happy to do that then that's up to you but the UK prefers to have higher standards, each to their own.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 06-20-2021 at 06:12 AM.

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The animal welfare aspect is in regards to the factory farming conditions endured by the animals.
    that was my point......you argued that growth hormones was an issue of animal welfare.....we have now concluded that animal welfare and hormones are unrelated and that all your fears of hormones are for your own sake and not the animals.......