Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Author: Open The Borders Wide. Let 'Em All Come In!

1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Disagree. The Nation with the best Technology will be The Leader.
    Technology didn't help us in Afghanistan.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    In 1967 that one-worker family had a lot lower standard of living than families today. American families could easily get by on one salary if we were willing to live at that standard. Today, families often have two earners because 1) we want more 2) women are more interested in a profession.

If it was because they had to work to pay bills, we would see women with lower incomes working; instead, we see women with college degrees with husbands earning a middle class income who are more likely to work.

Americans today pay less for almost every product than they did years ago--whether adjusted for inflation or actual cost. A large flat screen TV today is less than a 19" color TV in 1980. Americans pay a smaller percentage of their income for food, clothing, transportation than in those years. The only thing we pay more for is housing but that is for a much large home.
    Healthcare is the second largest expense for Americans, after housing. But capitalism has shrewdly hidden the cost so that most don't think about it.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Nordberg,

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Wages are determined by the min wage. Elevate it and all people's wages will go up.
    We are far from too crowded. How do you define it, population density? If so, we are no. 185. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density
    Truth is, I know who is taking the people's wealth. It is not immigrants. It is the super-wealthy and the obscene wealth gap shows that.
    The greatest wide open sleight of hand trick has been how the super wealthy have managed to convince the average schmuck that powerless immigrants are taking all their wealth, not the powerful ones who have accumulated all the wealth.

4. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Who supports MORE PEOPLE from the Third World coming here? Business? The American Worker?

Maybe you should visit NYC or L.A.
    I'm guessing when we are all shoulder to shoulder you will call for an immediate halt in Human Reproduction.
    Actually, human population would be reduced if every couple had no more than 2 children. Some individuals would choose not to have any children, and for the ones who do, all each couple would be doing would be replacing themselves without adding to the overall number of humans.

5. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

America was the World's production center after WW2. The Industrial Base was 'outsourced' to Third World Countries because they have CHEAP LABOR. Some Industries (like Construction) can't 'go overseas'. So ... they bring the Third World Labor HERE.

If you are a 'Chair Jockey' that pushes a pencil all day, this doesn't affect you. If you are in the Building Trades, this DOES affect you.
    If your quality of life depends on products which are imported the USA definitely depends on international trade, and thus other countries. We can't simply shut them out and maintain our way of life.

6. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

A corporation cannot go to prison but many corporate officials have been imprisoned.
    Corporations regularly pay large fines for serious infractions, often resulting in deaths, but nobody goes to prison for it.

The executives are rarely found guilty, nor face any sentencing for their part in corporate infractions.

Corporations are repeat offenders, and consider the fines as simply the cost of doing business.

7. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

American consumers have power over the corporations. Just quit buying their products and services and they are out of business. Over 50% of businesses have failed after five years.
    Large corporations rarely fail. The many small business failures are most often due to insufficient startup capital. The cost of getting a business up and running and producing is often underestimated.

8. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Bottom Line. If Democrats don't address the 'Immigration' issue, don't be surprised when Republicans make this a Major Issue and we end up with a 'Trump-like' Demagogue again.
    The problem with Republicans, besides being far too sure they are right, and never admitting it when they are wrong, is they never want to give something time to work. In the case if opening up immigration, that would need to be a 5-10 year test to see if it really had the bad effects Republicans are so afraid of. A little swing in the numbers this way or that over a few months or even years is not enough to definitively say it was cause and effect.

Many factors could cause the same things Republicans want to blame on immigrants.

Such as automation.

And systems engineering.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 06-23-2021 at 02:19 PM.

9. #174 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Yeah. You don't have to be a Scientist to see the 'Overcrowding' in your everyday life. If you live in a City and have to fight Rush Hour every day, no one needs to explain 'overcrowding' to you.
    On a similar view, if you are in the Construction Trades, you see your Occupation being taken over by people who will work for less. Effectively taking the Food out of the Mouth of your children.

Politically speaking, I can see Republicans emerging as the 'Party of the Working Class' on this issue alone. Democrats are becoming the 'Party of the Elites', turning their backs on their core Constituency.
    This last Election with Trump getting 73 million Votes should have been a wake-up call. I think Democrats may have fallen asleep at the wheel ... again.
    I just see that as evidence that there are a lot of people who buy into the hype that actually gets them to vote against their own better interests.

Trump had zero record of doing anything for, or caring about, other people before he became president (he more accurately had a reputation as a selfish cheating bully,)

And since he became president and then the most foolish denier ever, the big liar, ... the record still stands.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-23-2021)

11. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

Exploring the economic argument for a return to open US borders

Bryan Caplan: "This is actually the longstanding U.S. policy of open borders, which we had until 1921. So, until 100 years ago, this was our system. So, I don't think it's at all crazy to think about going back to that system."
    I would agree...we need immigrants because the birth rate has plummeted.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

12. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Large corporations rarely fail. The many small business failures are most often due to insufficient startup capital. The cost of getting a business up and running and producing is often underestimated.
    Interesting to note that half of all businesses fail by year 5, and 70% of all businesses fail by Year 10.

And almost every single one of those failures is attributed to poor management, not wages or the market.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

13. #177 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Hello Jack,

I just see that as evidence that there are a lot of people who buy into the hype that actually gets them to vote against their own better interests.

Trump had zero record of doing anything for, or caring about, other people before he became president (he more accurately had a reputation as a selfish cheating bully,)

And since he became president and then the most foolish denier ever, the big liar, ... the record still stands.
    PoliTalker, you are usually pretty good at getting your point across without saying too much to irritate me, but the bolded above does it well. Do you really think that I and 73,000,000 others are so stupid we don’t know what we’re voting for…or against. Elites saying things like “voting against their own best interests” is the same as some hick from Kentucky saying something like, “Why those conservatives are so dang stupid they don’t even know how to vote.” Using that phrase over and over (and I do see it over and over) is super elitist and just verifies Jack’s second paragraph in his response to my post. Let me pick my scarred knuckles up from this eye pad as they are scarred from dragging on the ground due to my religion and conservative tendencies.

14. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Hello Jack,

I don’t disagree with your assessment of Trump in the second paragraph but I’ll say a little about the last one there. What Trump did when he became president was try to keep his promises in several areas.

America first…seeking energy independence. He tried to make this a reality and fought the democrats tooth and nail as a result.

The border…I don’t necessarily agree that a wall is needed but illegal immigration has been a problem for years and no previous Republican or Democrat president ever did anything but pay it lip service. “I’ll build a wall and make Mexico pay for it” was a grandstanding statement and everyone with any sense knew it, but I have to say that at least he tried to do something about it.

Justices…he appointed two whom I don’t think will be too liberal.

I couldn’t stand the guy’s demeanor and presentation. I hated his idiotic tweets. I wouldn’t have voted for him if there was a viable alternative. But I also think that Democrats better be thankful for COVID (and I’m not morbid enough to expect that they would be happy that so many people died) because I think if things had rocked on like they were going pre February 2020 until November that year Trump would have won again.

He might be a “foolish denier” but he easily could have been a two termer. Easily.

15. #179 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,540 Times in 9,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

Bryan Caplan: "This is actually the longstanding U.S. policy of open borders, which we had until 1921. So, until 100 years ago, this was our system. So, I don't think it's at all crazy to think about going back to that system."
    Do u keep your house doors wide open?

16. #180 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,540 Times in 9,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

AGAIN

125 years ago we hung horse thief's

105 years ago women couldn't vote

100 years ago the Dims and a lot of other people LOVED the KKK

How bout we go back to Black Codes and Jim Crow...IDIOT

Things change u stupid fuck..in 1910 we didn't have Mexican Cartels and Muslim terrorists like we do now

Did we have food stamps and welfare 100 years ago...??? No so lets go back to that

Last edited by volsrock; 06-23-2021 at 07:57 PM.