Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Author: Open The Borders Wide. Let 'Em All Come In!

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    American consumers have power over the corporations. Just quit buying their products and services and they are out of business. Over 50% of businesses have failed after five years.
    That only works if the left and the right are united against the corporations. Otherwise, it fails. One side boycotts a business and the other buys extra and makes fun of the boycotting side. By keeping the left and the right bitterly divided, by throwing gasoline on the fires of division wherever possible, corporate America successfully thwarts boycott attempts as they ensure that the left and the right will not unite against big money. The oligarchy loves this dynamic.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Yeah. You don't have to be a Scientist to see the 'Overcrowding' in your everyday life. If you live in a City and have to fight Rush Hour every day, no one needs to explain 'overcrowding' to you.
    On a similar view, if you are in the Construction Trades, you see your Occupation being taken over by people who will work for less. Effectively taking the Food out of the Mouth of your children.

Politically speaking, I can see Republicans emerging as the 'Party of the Working Class' on this issue alone. Democrats are becoming the 'Party of the Elites', turning their backs on their core Constituency.
    This last Election with Trump getting 73 million Votes should have been a wake-up call. I think Democrats may have fallen asleep at the wheel ... again.
    Any American citizen construction worker who has been displaced out of income by an immigrant has but to apply to our government for food assistance, so I doubt there are many if any who have had food taken out of their children's mouths by an immigrant worker.

Talk about a lame and pitiful projection/exaggeration...

And I can't imagine any construction supervisor who would not prefer to have American workers given that the Americans are just as productive as the immigrants and willing to work for the same rate of pay. It is always cumbersome to have a work crew that doesn't all speak the same language, and always preferable to have one that does. And there is friction among the work team between American and Latino workers which does not help the project. It is better if that does not exist.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Phantasmal (06-24-2021)

4. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Jack,

Any American citizen construction worker who has been displaced out of income by an immigrant has but to apply to our government for food assistance, so I doubt there are many if any who have had food taken out of their children's mouths by an immigrant worker.

Talk about a lame and pitiful projection/exaggeration...

And I can't imagine any construction supervisor who would not prefer to have American workers given that the Americans are just as productive as the immigrants and willing to work for the same rate of pay. It is always cumbersome to have a work crew that doesn't all speak the same language, and always preferable to have one that does. And there is friction among the work team between American and Latino workers which does not help the project. It is better if that does not exist.
    There is a lot of awful in this post. You must not live in the Southwest.

5. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello leaningright,

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    PoliTalker, you are usually pretty good at getting your point across without saying too much to irritate me, but the bolded above does it well. Do you really think that I and 73,000,000 others are so stupid we don’t know what we’re voting for…or against. Elites saying things like “voting against their own best interests” is the same as some hick from Kentucky saying something like, “Why those conservatives are so dang stupid they don’t even know how to vote.” Using that phrase over and over (and I do see it over and over) is super elitist and just verifies Jack’s second paragraph in his response to my post. Let me pick my scarred knuckles up from this eye pad as they are scarred from dragging on the ground due to my religion and conservative tendencies.
    It wasn't meant to be offensive. If it came across that way I apologize.

6. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello leaningright,

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I don’t disagree with your assessment of Trump in the second paragraph but I’ll say a little about the last one there. What Trump did when he became president was try to keep his promises in several areas.

America first…seeking energy independence. He tried to make this a reality and fought the democrats tooth and nail as a result.

The border…I don’t necessarily agree that a wall is needed but illegal immigration has been a problem for years and no previous Republican or Democrat president ever did anything but pay it lip service. “I’ll build a wall and make Mexico pay for it” was a grandstanding statement and everyone with any sense knew it, but I have to say that at least he tried to do something about it.

Justices…he appointed two whom I don’t think will be too liberal.

I couldn’t stand the guy’s demeanor and presentation. I hated his idiotic tweets. I wouldn’t have voted for him if there was a viable alternative. But I also think that Democrats better be thankful for COVID (and I’m not morbid enough to expect that they would be happy that so many people died) because I think if things had rocked on like they were going pre February 2020 until November that year Trump would have won again.

He might be a “foolish denier” but he easily could have been a two termer. Easily.
    I don't disagree about the possibility of Trump winning a second term. Had he not messed up so badly on the pandemic response it could very well have been.

We were headed for energy independence anyway. I give Trump no credit for that.

Justices - That's a sore point with liberals. The way McConnell and the Republican Senate acted is beyond honesty. They twisted and bent the rules in blatant partisan favor to prevent Garland and then in absolute hypocrisy reversed positions to favor Coney Barrett. Less prominent in the news was the fact that McConnell purposely refused to seat any lessor judges for years under Obama, hoping for a Republican win in '16 so that they could fill hundreds of judgeships to their favor. It's reprehensible to display such partisanship in a public service position. That is something that Republicans do that Democrats do not do. It's disgusting from our point of view.

We find that as offensive as gerrymandering and voter suppression.

It is difficult enough to wrap my moral conscience around supporting the Democratic Party, but I could never live with myself if I supported the Republican Party.

7. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    There is a lot of awful in this post. You must not live in the Southwest.
    Any time you have two different crews on the same project which speak different languages, there is likely to be some animosity. Especially if one crew resents the other. Not saying I like this dynamic or support it - just being realistic.

8. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Any time you have two different crews on the same project which speak different languages, there is likely to be some animosity. Especially if one crew resents the other. Not saying I like this dynamic or support it - just being realistic.
    Again, you obviously don’t reside in the Southwest.

9. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,789 Times in 17,242 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

I know a guy who does construction work in Michigan. He says he hires and cheats immigrants to keep his bids lower. Almost every northern construction has immigrants. Trump hired them by the truckload.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-24-2021)

11. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Nordberg,

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    I know a guy who does construction work in Michigan. He says he hires and cheats immigrants to keep his bids lower. Almost every northern construction has immigrants. Trump hired them by the truckload.
    Not surprised.

Hates immigrants but not so much that he won't use them to get richer.

Saw a crew nearby that showed up, many in one vehicle, no English spoken. They sat and waited until somebody else showed up to unlock a trailer with tools. Then they got busy doing sheathing. Knocked the job right out. Left a lot of trash, including plastic packaging which promptly blew all over the neighborhood. They weren't hired to be neat.

12. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 4,500 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Hello Flash,

That only works if the left and the right are united against the corporations. Otherwise, it fails. One side boycotts a business and the other buys extra and makes fun of the boycotting side. By keeping the left and the right bitterly divided, by throwing gasoline on the fires of division wherever possible, corporate America successfully thwarts boycott attempts as they ensure that the left and the right will not unite against big money. The oligarchy loves this dynamic.
    How were the left and right able to unite against Sears, K-Mart, Penney's, Woolworth, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Borders, Pier 1, Toys-R-Us, Solyndra, A & P, Compaq, Luby's, Blockbuster, Lord & Taylor and many others to run them out of business?

The "oligarchy" sounds a lot like the "Deep State."

13. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,236 Times in 7,128 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

When Donald Trump tried to ban Muslims, that was a first for America since WWII where we banned Japanese people and had what is defined as a Mixed Open Border. Of course the Supreme Court did not allow it- according to our Constitution.

Biden has restored our country back to Open Borders like we have always been before except that for that one time exception I mentioned.

America is the world's shining example of Free Trade, Open Borders, and Democracy!

Donald CHump tried to change us and our place in the world! STILL TRYING TO DESTROY FREE TRADE, OPEN BORDERS, AND DEMOCRACY!

NEVER AGAIN!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-24-2021)

15. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

How were the left and right able to unite against Sears, K-Mart, Penney's, Woolworth, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Borders, Pier 1, Toys-R-Us, Solyndra, A & P, Compaq, Luby's, Blockbuster, Lord & Taylor and many others to run them out of business?

The "oligarchy" sounds a lot like the "Deep State."
    The public didn't run all those stores out of business.

Ruthless big boxes and internet shopping did that.

16. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Flash,

The public didn't run all those stores out of business.

Ruthless big boxes and internet shopping did that.
    Wasn't it the public (consumers) who were shopping at those big box stores and the internet?

17. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Wasn't it the public (consumers) who were shopping at those big box stores and the internet?
    Yes. Shopping. Not boycotting.

Cheap throw away products are too cheap to resist.

People shop with their pocketbook in mind, not the environment, not the future of humanity.

Nor the prospect that extracting natural resources and turning them into disposable products to be ultimately destined for the sea or landfills is unsustainable and will ultimately destroy humanity itself.

Apparently, humans care way more for themselves than they do for their posterity.

The way we allow capitalism to control our destiny shows no forethought.

The future of humanity is up to the vagary of capitalism.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 06-25-2021 at 05:41 AM.

18. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Flash,

Yes. Shopping. Not boycotting.
    Not shopping at a certain business works, it does not have to be a boycott. But my point was that consumers can put a corporation out of business if they choose to boycott its products. They don't have to let anybody divide them to accomplish that.