Members banned from this thread: katzgar


Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 254

Thread: Author: Open The Borders Wide. Let 'Em All Come In!

  1. #16 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58,206
    Thanks
    3,530
    Thanked 18,072 Times in 12,542 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 627 Times in 594 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,



    It's simple. If America is deeply divided, then America will not unite against the rich and powerful.
    What does that have to do with open borders and how that would economically effect the rich and powerful?

  2. #17 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,405
    Thanks
    17,541
    Thanked 13,709 Times in 9,419 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 5,162 Times in 4,473 Posts

    Default

    Hello cawacko:

    Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    You’re promoting his work and economic positions. Not normally what you would expect from someone who argues for more socialism.
    Maybe opening the borders would be a good thing for society.

    From the link:

    "Paul Solman:

    Caplan says his thesis, outlined in his graphic nonfiction book "Open Borders," is just economics 101.

    Bryan Caplan:

    Right now, immigration laws are trapping enormous amounts of human talent in low-productivity countries. If you don't know anything else about economics, just learn this: The secret of mass consumption is mass production."
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

  3. #18 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,405
    Thanks
    17,541
    Thanked 13,709 Times in 9,419 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 5,162 Times in 4,473 Posts

    Default

    Hello Jack,

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Yeah. Good thinking PT. Course, our 5 lanes of Freeways (that turn into Parking Lots at rush hour) will need to be expanded to 7 lanes (that will be Parking Lots at rush hour). And who isn't envious of Cities*like Calcutta? We need MORE overcrowded Cities. It will probably reduce crime, improve education, and be a more healthy environment. (insert head shake emoji here)
    Hey, if your concern is world over-population, attempting to isolate the USA from that problem is not going to work.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

  4. #19 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58,206
    Thanks
    3,530
    Thanked 18,072 Times in 12,542 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 627 Times in 594 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko:



    Maybe opening the borders would be a good thing for society.

    From the link:

    "Paul Solman:

    Caplan says his thesis, outlined in his graphic nonfiction book "Open Borders," is just economics 101.

    Bryan Caplan:

    Right now, immigration laws are trapping enormous amounts of human talent in low-productivity countries. If you don't know anything else about economics, just learn this: The secret of mass consumption is mass production."
    Have you read any of his work on this subject? Did you read the book or listen to his interviews and get a full understanding of what he supports? I'm just curious how much you've researched this vs saw a book heading and wanted to post it.

  5. #20 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,405
    Thanks
    17,541
    Thanked 13,709 Times in 9,419 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 5,162 Times in 4,473 Posts

    Default

    Hello Jack,

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    You're a great Capitalist, PT.
    Capitalism is a good thing. We never have to choose between capitalism and socialism. We can have the best elements of both.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

  6. #21 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    11,820
    Thanks
    7,004
    Thanked 2,816 Times in 2,439 Posts
    Groans
    336
    Groaned 114 Times in 112 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello AProudLefty,



    The author makes a good argument.

    What do you see as a problem with this idea?

    One thing we do know is that the rich and powerful want us to think this is a bad idea.
    What about Americans?

  7. #22 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,405
    Thanks
    17,541
    Thanked 13,709 Times in 9,419 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 5,162 Times in 4,473 Posts

    Default

    Hello cawacko,

    Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Have you read any of his work on this subject? Did you read the book or listen to his interviews and get a full understanding of what he supports? I'm just curious how much you've researched this vs saw a book heading and wanted to post it.
    I saw the interview on PBS. It struck me that it might be a good topic of discussion here, so I posted it.

    Are you familiar with the author and his work?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

  8. #23 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    11,820
    Thanks
    7,004
    Thanked 2,816 Times in 2,439 Posts
    Groans
    336
    Groaned 114 Times in 112 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko:



    Maybe opening the borders would be a good thing for society.


    From the link:

    "Paul Solman:

    Caplan says his thesis, outlined in his graphic nonfiction book "Open Borders," is just economics 101.

    Bryan Caplan:

    Right now, immigration laws are trapping enormous amounts of human talent in low-productivity countries. If you don't know anything else about economics, just learn this: The secret of mass consumption is mass production."
    Oh yeah, just like Mariel boat lifts. You fucking retard! The secret of massive crime is massive illegal immigration of criminals!

  9. #24 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37,862
    Thanks
    14,227
    Thanked 10,513 Times in 8,080 Posts
    Groans
    428
    Groaned 2,282 Times in 2,109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Jack,



    Hey, if your concern is world over-population, attempting to isolate the USA from that problem is not going to work.
    Yes. Actually it will work. When the overcrowded countries are so over crowded, they will begin to eat each other.

  10. #25 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37,862
    Thanks
    14,227
    Thanked 10,513 Times in 8,080 Posts
    Groans
    428
    Groaned 2,282 Times in 2,109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Jack,



    Capitalism is a good thing. We never have to choose between capitalism and socialism. We can have the best elements of both.
    Capitalism depends on an ever INCREASING Market of Consumers. This will lead to MORE PEOPLE being promoted as a 'Good Idea'. This Human Greed will eventually lead to an OVERCROWDED Planet.

    YOU ARE THE PERFECT EXAMPLE.

  11. #26 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    12,144
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5,835 Times in 4,180 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 211 Times in 192 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

    Exploring the economic argument for a return to open US borders


    Bryan Caplan: "This is actually the longstanding U.S. policy of open borders, which we had until 1921. So, until 100 years ago, this was our system. So, I don't think it's at all crazy to think about going back to that system."
    In 1921 a generous welfare state didn't exist and there was plenty of work for illiterate and semi-literate persons, not to mention the difficulty getting to the US from elsewhere. None of that is true today. So, opening the borders today would create a flood of unemployable welfare recipients that would drown the country as surely as Greece is being drowned for the same reason. It is an unaffordable strategy that would fail miserably.

  12. #27 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Kansas City KS
    Posts
    20,239
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9,037 Times in 6,197 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 720 Times in 666 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

    Exploring the economic argument for a return to open US borders


    Bryan Caplan: "This is actually the longstanding U.S. policy of open borders, which we had until 1921. So, until 100 years ago, this was our system. So, I don't think it's at all crazy to think about going back to that system."
    100 years ago? LOL

    125 years ago we hung horse thief's

    105 years ago women couldn't vote

    100 years ago the Dims and a lot of other people LOVED the KKK


    How bout we go back ...IDIOT


    Things change u stupid fuck


    Did we have food stamps and welfare 100 years ago...??? No so lets go back to that


    Last edited by volsrock; 06-18-2021 at 02:43 PM.

  13. #28 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58,206
    Thanks
    3,530
    Thanked 18,072 Times in 12,542 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 627 Times in 594 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,



    I saw the interview on PBS. It struck me that it might be a good topic of discussion here, so I posted it.

    Are you familiar with the author and his work?
    I follow him on Twitter and have read his blog before. I know he wrote another book called The Case Against Education about our education system and heard his interviews promoting that. I have a number of books in boxes right now so I don't know if I have any of his other work.

    I think it's an interesting book but I'm not aware of him promoting this position as a way to go after the rich and powerful. In fact the rich and powerful benefit in this scenario.

  14. #29 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,405
    Thanks
    17,541
    Thanked 13,709 Times in 9,419 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 5,162 Times in 4,473 Posts

    Default

    Hello Jack,

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Yes. Actually it will work.
    No, ultimately it won't. It might at best buy us a bit of time, but really, it just won't work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    When the overcrowded countries are so over crowded, they will begin to eat each other.
    Yes, and we depend on them. It's a completely inter-related global economy.

    That issue needs to be addressed on a world-wide scale.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

  15. #30 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,405
    Thanks
    17,541
    Thanked 13,709 Times in 9,419 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 5,162 Times in 4,473 Posts

    Default

    Hello Jack,

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Capitalism depends on an ever INCREASING Market of Consumers. This will lead to MORE PEOPLE being promoted as a 'Good Idea'. This Human Greed will eventually lead to an OVERCROWDED Planet.

    YOU ARE THE PERFECT EXAMPLE.
    Don't try to make this about me. It's an international issue.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

Similar Threads

  1. Open borders in the news
    By Legion in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-03-2021, 04:12 PM
  2. APP - Soon this will all break wide open
    By canceled.2021.2 in forum Above Plain Politics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2019, 09:17 AM
  3. Open borders? Insanity!
    By Robo in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-21-2019, 09:30 PM
  4. OPEN BORDERS
    By Getin the ring in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-29-2018, 08:31 AM
  5. EXTRA! MOUTH WIDE OPEN WALKS!
    By philly rabbit in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-07-2016, 02:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •