Thread: Who Controls The Elections?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

Default Who Controls The Elections?

With all of the hype we see these days one would think it is the States, and even generally more to the point, Republicans. However, what does the Constitution say? Ultimately, according to the Constitution anyway, it is the Federal government. The Democrats need to take control, and to hell with the States:

"In the United States, states have primary responsibility for the administration of federal elections. The federal government, however, has significant authority to determine how these elections are run, and may direct states to implement such federal regulations as the federal government provides. This authority can extend to registration, voting, reporting of results, or even more fundamental aspects of the election process such as redistricting. This report focuses on Congress’s constitutional authority to regulate how states administer elections.

Congress’s authority to regulate a particular type of election may vary depending on whether that election is for the Presidency, the House, the Senate, or for state and local positions. Further, there may be variations in what aspects of elections are amenable to regulation. Consequently, evaluating Congress’s authority to establish election procedures requires an examination of a variety of different proposals and scenarios.

Although the Constitution is silent on various aspects of the voting process, it seems to anticipate that states would be primarily responsible for establishing election procedures. Federal authority to regulate federal elections, however, is specifically provided for in the Constitution. There are two main provisions at issue—Article I, Section 4, cl. 1, which provides Congress the authority to set the “Times, Places and Manner” of congressional elections, and Article II, Section 1, cl. 4, which provides that Congress may designate the “Time” for the choosing of Presidential Electors."

www.everycrsreport.com/reports/RL30747.html
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Trapper For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-18-2021), ThatOwlWoman (06-18-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who controls the Election ... controls the Outcome. Next time, Trump should receive 99% of the Vote.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 661 Times in 608 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    With all of the hype we see these days one would think it is the States, and even generally more to the point, Republicans. However, what does the Constitution say? Ultimately, according to the Constitution anyway, it is the Federal government. The Democrats need to take control, and to hell with the States:

"In the United States, states have primary responsibility for the administration of federal elections. The federal government, however, has significant authority to determine how these elections are run, and may direct states to implement such federal regulations as the federal government provides. This authority can extend to registration, voting, reporting of results, or even more fundamental aspects of the election process such as redistricting. This report focuses on Congress’s constitutional authority to regulate how states administer elections.

Congress’s authority to regulate a particular type of election may vary depending on whether that election is for the Presidency, the House, the Senate, or for state and local positions. Further, there may be variations in what aspects of elections are amenable to regulation. Consequently, evaluating Congress’s authority to establish election procedures requires an examination of a variety of different proposals and scenarios.

Although the Constitution is silent on various aspects of the voting process, it seems to anticipate that states would be primarily responsible for establishing election procedures. Federal authority to regulate federal elections, however, is specifically provided for in the Constitution. There are two main provisions at issue—Article I, Section 4, cl. 1, which provides Congress the authority to set the “Times, Places and Manner” of congressional elections, and Article II, Section 1, cl. 4, which provides that Congress may designate the “Time” for the choosing of Presidential Electors."

Something that is above and beyond humanity as in the Spirit of the unseen force.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,003 Times in 32,308 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,870 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am glad the OP at least admits the constitution says it is the states that control elections, even as he advocates for Congress to change that........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

States subject to federal govt supremacy to prevent racist trash states from violating due process and equal protection of the laws.
    Close thread. My legal answers are succinct and definitive. JPP black letter law.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Basically, fact, not fiction should control the election results anyway.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-18-2021)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,936 Times in 21,683 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,704 Times in 5,204 Posts
    Blog Entries

The States control the elections, the Fed simply certifies the results sent to them by the States.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I am glad the OP at least admits the constitution says it is the states that control elections, even as he advocates for Congress to change that........
    Why is it your kind can never read what was written, and must change it to your fantasy? So, when I said " However, what does the Constitution say? Ultimately, according to the Constitution anyway, it is the Federal government. " in your limited ability to comprehend the written word you think I said what?
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ultimately, according to the Constitution anyway, it is the Federal government. "
    sorry, but you are wrong......the constitution restricts federal interference with elections......you provided the truth of that in the OP......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    sorry, but you are wrong......the constitution restricts federal interference with elections......you provided the truth of that in the OP......
    Guess you had to actually read it before trying to comment on it:

"The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators."

Like I said, ULTIMATELY it is the Congress (Federal) that has the control.
    Last edited by Old Trapper; 06-18-2021 at 10:00 PM.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Guess you had to actually read it before trying to comment on it:

"The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; [size=4]but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators."

Like I said, ULTIMATELY it is the Congress (Federal) that has the control.
    sorry......if it was ultimately under the control of Congress, the constitution would have said Congress has control of the times, places and MANNER of holding elections for Senators and Representatives.........it doesn't......

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,553 Times in 53,373 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good article, thanks. Agree with you on how the (D)s need to get off their duffs and do something before the (R)-run states disenfranchise the voters.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain