Members banned from this thread: AProudLefty

Thread: Cancel culture in the news

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Cancel culture in the news

A Composer Condemned Arson. Now No One Will Hire Him.

Until last year, Daniel Elder—a 34-year-old musician who lives in Nashville, Tennessee—had a promising career ahead of him.

The theme of the prize-winning composer's work, truth through emotion, is evident across his catalog of choral music, including his debut commercial album, The Heart's Reflection.

Elder isn't composing very much these days.

And even if he were, no one in the industry is willing to buy his work.

His publisher has blackballed him.

Local choral directors refuse to program his music for fear of provoking a backlash.

They won't even let him sing in the choir.

"My artistic wellspring is capped," says Elder.

What happened?

Elder made a short statement on Instagram that went viral during the George Floyd protests in the summer of 2020.

On May 30, around 1,000 peaceful protesters marched down the streets of Nashville as part of an "I Will Breathe" rally. But not everyone on the streets was peaceful: A group of activists joined the protest as it was drawing to a close and started smashing windows and spraying graffiti on the sides of buildings. They threw rocks at police cars, and eventually someone set the city's historic courthouse on fire.

"The courthouse windows were smashed, its walls were spray painted with graffiti and fires were started inside the building, damaging a portion of the mayor's office," noted the Nashville Tennessean. "A plaque commemorating the civil rights movement in Nashville was destroyed."

The destruction spooked Elder, who lived nearby and was thus under a city-wide curfew. He also found himself increasingly unnerved by the large number of emotional social media posts coming across his feeds that seemed to justify radicalism and groupthink.

"I saw a mob mentality around my own friends, and I worried that was what was happening on the outside, too," says Elder.

Dismayed, disenchanted, and unable to sleep, Elder decided to delete his Instagram account. He penned one last farewell message, which was cross-posted to his Twitter and professional Facebook page: "Enjoy burning it all down, you well-intentioned, blind people. I'm done."

But when he woke up the next morning, critics were spamming his Facebook and YouTube pages with comments accusing him of being a racist and a "white supremacist piece of garbage."

He began to receive nasty emails as well. Some were anonymously authored, expletive-laden, and ugly from start to finish.

Others confessed a previous appreciation for Elder's music but noted that they could never listen to him again.

"Do some research and maybe some inner reflection and maybe figure out where your racist tendencies are coming from," wrote another critic. "You are canceled. Black lives matter!"

Within 24 hours, the controversy had garnered the attention of GIA Publications. In the world of choral music, GIA is not merely a publisher; it is the major publisher of religious content, thanks to its association with the post–Vatican II Roman Catholic Church. GIA was Elder's publisher, and an important source of his income. On the morning of June 1, GIA President Alec Harris and media editor Susan LaBarr contacted Elder about posting an apology.

This apology had already been written by GIA; all Elder had to do was post it. The remarks prepared on his behalf are as follows, and worth reading in full:

"Over the weekend I made a post on my social media accounts that was insensitive and wrongly-worded. I deeply apologize for the anger, offense, and harm that this post caused. While this offense was not intended, it is what was created. For this I am truly sorry.

"There is no justification that I can offer for my post. So, rather than try to offer an excuse for what was done, I offer a promise for what I will do going forward. I commit to making amends and to dialogue. I commit to continue educating myself about privilege and bias. I commit to continue seeking an understanding of the experience of others, especially the Black community. I know that working for justice requires that we each first act justly. My work begins now."

LaBarr added that while "we know that you write music that promotes social justice," this was not clear to people who had read the Instagram post.

"We're feeling time pressure on this as some people are calling for boycotts," added LaBarr. "It's all very heavy."

Elder wasn't inclined to make such a groveling apology, and was dismayed to see his colleagues siding with his critics.

"I chose to be that guy who didn't issue the apology," he says.

Within hours, GIA issued a denunciation of Elder.

"The views expressed in composer Daniel Elder's incendiary social media post on Sunday evening do not reflect the values of GIA or our employees," it read. "GIA opposes racism in all its forms and is committed to do what Michelle Obama called 'the honest, uncomfortable work of rooting it out.'"

Note this PR statement endorses the view that Elder had made an "incendiary" statement. Neither Harris nor LaBarr responded to a request for clarification as to which aspect of Elder's anti-arson agenda they oppose.

GIA also announced that the company would no longer publish Elder.

For Elder, the consequences were far-reaching.

Without the support of a publisher and professional network, Elder's work was impossible.

Moreover, local choral directors refuse to do business with him because of the controversy.

They are afraid to associate with him, or to be seen as defending him in any way.

What happened to Elder has happened to countless others. And as with so many of those others, Elder's story doesn't have a happy ending. He has survived his ordeal only in the most literal sense: His career is in shambles.

Nevertheless, the experience has positively impacted Elder in one way, he tells me: It has made him less ideologically narrow-minded.

"Because I was exiled, I started listening to voices on the right and the center, especially these classical liberals who have been exiled from the leftist movement," he says. "The strange silver lining is this shook me out of my prejudices a little bit."

https://reason.com/2021/06/15/daniel-elder-cancel-culture-choral-composer-antifa-blm-gia/

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,062 Times in 8,414 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post

A Composer Condemned Arson. Now No One Will Hire Him.

Until last year, Daniel Elder—a 34-year-old musician who lives in Nashville, Tennessee—had a promising career ahead of him.

The theme of the prize-winning composer's work, truth through emotion, is evident across his catalog of choral music, including his debut commercial album, The Heart's Reflection.

Elder isn't composing very much these days.

And even if he were, no one in the industry is willing to buy his work.

His publisher has blackballed him.

Local choral directors refuse to program his music for fear of provoking a backlash.

They won't even let him sing in the choir.

"My artistic wellspring is capped," says Elder.

What happened?

Elder made a short statement on Instagram that went viral during the George Floyd protests in the summer of 2020.

On May 30, around 1,000 peaceful protesters marched down the streets of Nashville as part of an "I Will Breathe" rally. But not everyone on the streets was peaceful: A group of activists joined the protest as it was drawing to a close and started smashing windows and spraying graffiti on the sides of buildings. They threw rocks at police cars, and eventually someone set the city's historic courthouse on fire.

"The courthouse windows were smashed, its walls were spray painted with graffiti and fires were started inside the building, damaging a portion of the mayor's office," noted the Nashville Tennessean. "A plaque commemorating the civil rights movement in Nashville was destroyed."

The destruction spooked Elder, who lived nearby and was thus under a city-wide curfew. He also found himself increasingly unnerved by the large number of emotional social media posts coming across his feeds that seemed to justify radicalism and groupthink.

"I saw a mob mentality around my own friends, and I worried that was what was happening on the outside, too," says Elder.

Dismayed, disenchanted, and unable to sleep, Elder decided to delete his Instagram account. He penned one last farewell message, which was cross-posted to his Twitter and professional Facebook page: "Enjoy burning it all down, you well-intentioned, blind people. I'm done."

But when he woke up the next morning, critics were spamming his Facebook and YouTube pages with comments accusing him of being a racist and a "white supremacist piece of garbage."

He began to receive nasty emails as well. Some were anonymously authored, expletive-laden, and ugly from start to finish.

Others confessed a previous appreciation for Elder's music but noted that they could never listen to him again.

"Do some research and maybe some inner reflection and maybe figure out where your racist tendencies are coming from," wrote another critic. "You are canceled. Black lives matter!"

Within 24 hours, the controversy had garnered the attention of GIA Publications. In the world of choral music, GIA is not merely a publisher; it is the major publisher of religious content, thanks to its association with the post–Vatican II Roman Catholic Church. GIA was Elder's publisher, and an important source of his income. On the morning of June 1, GIA President Alec Harris and media editor Susan LaBarr contacted Elder about posting an apology.

This apology had already been written by GIA; all Elder had to do was post it. The remarks prepared on his behalf are as follows, and worth reading in full:

"Over the weekend I made a post on my social media accounts that was insensitive and wrongly-worded. I deeply apologize for the anger, offense, and harm that this post caused. While this offense was not intended, it is what was created. For this I am truly sorry.

"There is no justification that I can offer for my post. So, rather than try to offer an excuse for what was done, I offer a promise for what I will do going forward. I commit to making amends and to dialogue. I commit to continue educating myself about privilege and bias. I commit to continue seeking an understanding of the experience of others, especially the Black community. I know that working for justice requires that we each first act justly. My work begins now."

LaBarr added that while "we know that you write music that promotes social justice," this was not clear to people who had read the Instagram post.

"We're feeling time pressure on this as some people are calling for boycotts," added LaBarr. "It's all very heavy."

Elder wasn't inclined to make such a groveling apology, and was dismayed to see his colleagues siding with his critics.

"I chose to be that guy who didn't issue the apology," he says.

Within hours, GIA issued a denunciation of Elder.

"The views expressed in composer Daniel Elder's incendiary social media post on Sunday evening do not reflect the values of GIA or our employees," it read. "GIA opposes racism in all its forms and is committed to do what Michelle Obama called 'the honest, uncomfortable work of rooting it out.'"

Note this PR statement endorses the view that Elder had made an "incendiary" statement. Neither Harris nor LaBarr responded to a request for clarification as to which aspect of Elder's anti-arson agenda they oppose.

GIA also announced that the company would no longer publish Elder.

For Elder, the consequences were far-reaching.

Without the support of a publisher and professional network, Elder's work was impossible.

Moreover, local choral directors refuse to do business with him because of the controversy.

They are afraid to associate with him, or to be seen as defending him in any way.

What happened to Elder has happened to countless others. And as with so many of those others, Elder's story doesn't have a happy ending. He has survived his ordeal only in the most literal sense: His career is in shambles.

Nevertheless, the experience has positively impacted Elder in one way, he tells me: It has made him less ideologically narrow-minded.

"Because I was exiled, I started listening to voices on the right and the center, especially these classical liberals who have been exiled from the leftist movement," he says. "The strange silver lining is this shook me out of my prejudices a little bit."

https://reason.com/2021/06/15/daniel-elder-cancel-culture-choral-composer-antifa-blm-gia/
    Domestic terrorism.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Domestic terrorism.
    Leftist groupthink.

His music is beautiful. Now he's out of work. I'm surprised his YouTube account hasn't been shut down.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,062 Times in 8,414 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Leftist groupthink.

His music is beautiful. Now he's out of work. I'm surprised his YouTube account hasn't been shut down.

Because they havent determined yet that some music isn't woke enough.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Leftists love him, but will they cancel him now?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That didn't take long:

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I was right:

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yep. Jon Stewart is being canceled.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Will he be forced to apologize?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Twitter mob is coming for Jon Stewart. Will his account be terminated?

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Kevin Hart denounces cancel culture

Kevin Hart, the highest-earning stand-up comic in the world, said he'd been canceled "three or four times" over his career.

In a new interview with The Sunday Times, Hart said he "personally doesn't give a shit" about cancel culture before speaking at length about the hotly debated subject.

"When you're talking, 'Someone said! They need to be taken!' Shut the fuck up! What are you talking about?"

The comedian is no stranger to public criticism. When his tweets and stand-up material resurfaced ahead of the 2019 Oscars, he was cancelled.

Hart said that he had declined an ultimatum from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the governing body in charge of the Oscars, to either apologize or make way for a new host.

"[They] basically said, 'Kevin, apologize for your tweets of old or we're going to have to move on to find another host,'" Hart said in an Instagram video. "I chose to pass, I passed on the apology. The reason why I've passed is that I've addressed it several times." The Oscars ultimately aired that year without a host for the first time since 1989.

In his interview with the Times on Sunday, Hart said he's been canceled "three of four times," but was "never bothered" by it."

"When did we get to a point where life was supposed to be perfect?" he said. "Where people were supposed to operate perfectly all the time? I don't understand. I don't expect perfection from my kids. I don't expect it from my wife, friends, employees. Because, last I checked, the only way you grow up is from fucking up. I don't know a kid who hasn't fucked up or done some dumb shit."

Hart went on to say that comics can't truly express themselves openly for fear of getting canceled. "You're thinking that things you say will come back and bite you on the ass," he said.

"You're not saying something to make people angry," Hart explained. "That's not why I'm on stage. I'm trying to make you laugh."

Regarding his past tweets, Hart said people can "go ahead" and pull them up.

https://ew.com/celebrity/kevin-hart-denounces-cancel-culture/