Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican State Legislatures Assume Leadership of Insurrection.

1. #556 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Spent my MLK day getting both bass boats ready to go. Both engines started and are purring like contented kittens. Just need to hit all the grease zerks with the grease gun and give the boats a good cleaning. Spring will be here before you know it.

Playoff season really stinks from my perspective this year. I’m running out of teams to root for. If I have to end up rooting for the Rams I may just retire from watching the NFL. But in the NFC out of the teams that are left the Rams are probably gonna be it simply because I’ve always liked Stafford. But I hate to see OBJ get any credit. What a quandary…. In the AFC I like the Titans, the Bills, the Bengals and the Chiefs.

Back to work tomorrow. Glad this virtual stuff is over at least for now. Hope we can avoid the worst of stuff and stay live and alive.

Our Ag teacher has his final cancer surgery Wednesday. He’s leaving for Houston in the morning. It’s been a long road on something he initially had no hope to beat but we’ll know something definitive for him after this last surgery. I really feel for his daughter, a 7th grader in my math class. It’s hard for young kids to deal with this stuff.

I do actually have a couple more TVs in the house but I was too lazy to get out of one recliner and go to the other to continue watching the game. The game wasn’t that good anyway. Funny you should mention the “fat” thing. The wife and I just signed up for 5 weeks of Weight Watchers to try to drop a few pounds. We’ll see how that goes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

NiftyNiblick (01-18-2022)

3. #557 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The wife had to deal with a lady who was high on meth today at school. It’s sad people like that have children. Finally got the lady off of campus after dealing with her for nearly an hour. I’m getting less tolerant of stupidity the older I get so it is probably a good thing I wasn’t there yet.

It was 62° when I left for work this morning at 10. It’s 38° and dropping now. We’re in for a deep chill the rest of this week. When that happens I think of soups and … in particular, gumbo. Peanut butter-ish roux, some diced celery, onion, okra and pepper. A little chicken, smoked sausage and shrimp loosened up with a chicken broth based sauce and kicked up a few notches with some Tony Chachere’s and cayenne. Good for what ails a body.

Heading to church in a bit. There won’t be more than about 10 of us there tonight with the cold weather and early darkness. Got a slight chance of some freezing rain as well.

Had a wild pig walk through my yard night before last. My security camera caught a picture of him. He better not make that a habit or he’ll magically turn into spam.

I had to update my calculator software that I use in my classrooms today. I hate doing technology updates as they always move the icons and I have to re-learn where everything is at. Got tests to make out after church tonight. Busy times.

4. #558 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,072 Times in 7,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

I saw gumbo on the HBO series, Tremé. Before that, I though it was just a lyric in Brenda Lee's record, Jambalaya on the Bayou.

Although I'm alergic to crustaceans, I could make it without the crawfish or shrimp.
    Other stuff could go well in there--chicken, sausage, etc.

Okra isn't an every day vegetable in Boston either, but I could probably find it in a Roxbury produce store.
    We have soul food bistros that must have it on the menu.

Making roux is way beyond my skill level, however, as nobody ever showed me how up here in Boston.
    You'd think the supermarkets would have it pre-made in cans.
    That would be better than nothing, but they don't have it.
    I don't have a clue how to make it or even what kitchen equipment I'd need.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

5. #559 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

12° when I got out of bed this morning. It’s a balmy 26° now. I planted my tomato and jalapeño pepper seeds and put them in an Easterly window to sprout. Planning to go try to find some fertilizer. Haven’t decided whether to go organic or commercial. Need to call around and find out if I can find organic…which is what I prefer.

Also I need to call around and find someone who installs garage doors. I think I’m going to have them installed instead of my FIL and I doing it ourselves in June. That frees up more fishing time.

Driving to a nearby town reading for a 5th-6th grade academic competition tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will go quickly and smoothly. Some of our high school kids are volunteering to help as well.

I’m going to measure to see how much coaxial cable I need to expand my TV antenna capabilities to my bedroom. That way I can go to bed when the wife does and watch Perry Mason while she snores. Been needing to do this for a while and with the cold weather I might as well do it today. Can’t do anything else productive today.

6. #560 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You have an actual old school antenna, Rev, or do you mean a satellite dish or cable connection?
    I suppose a gentleman with all of your activities isn't too addicted to television, but I know you like sports.

I know NFL football is still on over the air TV except for the Thrursday games, but isn't college football mostly on cable?
    I really haven't watched it in years so I don't know offhand.

7. #561 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes, it’s an old school antenna on a pole with a set of vise grips on it. I turn it toward Tulsa to get Oklahoma stations and turn it toward Ft. Smith, AR to get Arkansas stations. I use it and streaming service. The combo has been working well for us for a couple of years. Any football I can’t get through the antenna I have been able to find on the Roku stick.

I’ve had the streaming capabilities on the other two TVs in the house but now I have all of my antenna capabilities there as well. I pick up more than 30 channels with the antenna. I remember when I was a kid we consistently got 2 channels (ABC and CBS) here and only sometimes could get NBC. I remember watching the World Series using aluminum foil on rabbit ears with other elaborate efforts to boost the signal. Most of the time baseball was enjoyed over the radio.

I may have told this before but up until I was about 10 years old my favorite team was the Cincinnati Reds. You know, the Big Red Machine. Of course Johnny Bench being from Oklahoma helped sway me that direction but then there was Joe Morgan (a personal favorite), George Foster, Ken Griffy, Pete Rose. What a team! I still admire that group of players. But I got started listening to the Cardinals on the radio with the old man who lived across the road from us. I’d hear it playing from over there and walk over and join him on his porch for the evening. The good ol’ days I suppose. I know I sure miss them.

8. #562 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,333 Times in 8,493 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Yes, it’s an old school antenna on a pole with a set of vise grips on it.
    Hopefully you have a new tuner to go with that. The old antennas can work with digital, but the old tuners are worthless.

9. #563 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Yes, it’s an old school antenna on a pole with a set of vise grips on it. I turn it toward Tulsa to get Oklahoma stations and turn it toward Ft. Smith, AR to get Arkansas stations. I use it and streaming service. The combo has been working well for us for a couple of years. Any football I can’t get through the antenna I have been able to find on the Roku stick.

I’ve had the streaming capabilities on the other two TVs in the house but now I have all of my antenna capabilities there as well. I pick up more than 30 channels with the antenna. I remember when I was a kid we consistently got 2 channels (ABC and CBS) here and only sometimes could get NBC. I remember watching the World Series using aluminum foil on rabbit ears with other elaborate efforts to boost the signal. Most of the time baseball was enjoyed over the radio.

I may have told this before but up until I was about 10 years old my favorite team was the Cincinnati Reds. You know, the Big Red Machine. Of course Johnny Bench being from Oklahoma helped sway me that direction but then there was Joe Morgan (a personal favorite), George Foster, Ken Griffy, Pete Rose. What a team! I still admire that group of players. But I got started listening to the Cardinals on the radio with the old man who lived across the road from us. I’d hear it playing from over there and walk over and join him on his porch for the evening. The good ol’ days I suppose. I know I sure miss them.
    I've been a big Red Sox fan since Ted Williams came home from Korea and I went to Fenway for the first time in 1953.
    By middle school, I could go by myself. Fenway was in walking distance from my home or I could take the subway for a twenty cent token.
    Bleacher tickets were one dollar, if you can imagine that.

I never went to a Braves game in Boston because they moved away after the 1952 season.
    They used to come back once a year to play the Res Sox in a charity game, however, and I saw Hank Aaron that way.

10. #564 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Hopefully you have a new tuner to go with that. The old antennas can work with digital, but the old tuners are worthless.
    It’s an “old school” antenna in that it is mounted outside on a long pole, not that it’s an old analog antenna. It’s digital and doesn’t require the converter box we had with the old antenna. Anyway, it beats sending DirectTV a couple hundred dollars a month. Our streaming service is about $50.

11. #565 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I've been a big Red Sox fan since Ted Williams came home from Korea and I went to Fenway for the first time in 1953.
    By middle school, I could go by myself. Fenway was in walking distance from my home or I could take the subway for a twenty cent token.
    Bleacher tickets were one dollar, if you can imagine that.

I never went to a Braves game in Boston because they moved away after the 1952 season.
    They used to come back once a year to play the Res Sox in a charity game, however, and I saw Hank Aaron that way.
    I would have loved being in walking distance to a pro field…but that would require living in a city. I think we both know that wouldn’t work well for me … and I don’t think Kevin Costner would come here and build me one of those special fields. So going to games is an event. We go to Saint Louis a couple of times a year but are more likely to go to Dallas (3 1/2 hour drive) when some decent teams are in town to play the Rangers.

12. #566 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What.a.weekend.of.football! Wow. Best weekend of football I’ve seen in a while. Maybe ever. As usual I missed the last of the Sunday afternoon game and the first of the late game. The GOAT almost did it again. I knew when I left for evening worship that LA was in trouble. Brady was heating up.

I’m looking forward to the conference championship games but there’s no way they can top these this weekend.

Looking forward to a normal, four day week of school this week. I don’t think anything extra is on the horizon.

I showed great restraint Friday. There was a Remington Fieldmaster semi-auto 30-06 at my friend’s Pawn Shop for $275. I didn’t buy it. There was a time …

13. #567 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Now that virtually all the Republican controlled state legislatures, with the complete blessing of our pig shit constitution,
    are dismantling the democratic republic of the United States of America by taking over complete control of who votes
    and whose ballots get counted,

storming the capitol should no longer be necessary.

They have discovered how unnecessary it was to start the previous civil war by firing on Fort Sumter.
    They could have just stayed home and done it in a perfectly constitutionally compliant way.

Rural Christian conservatives are able to destroy the republic as a minority
    because the genius founders provided them the right to do it.

What's worse, the confederates are not merely seeking separation anymore.
    Now, they want to take over the whole thing.
    That, however, they can only do with our help.
    Blue States have legislatures as well. Also, a fuck of a lot more money.

Civilized progressive liberals have got to wake up.
    We no longer have the luxury of believing in the idyllic America that we were told about by clueless grade school teachers.
    It was a nice thought, but it was total bullshit. We should be easily able to see that now.

There are people in the middle of this country who hate us,
    who hate our modern and humane ideas,
    who worship a magic man in the sky,
    and who believe that the magic man wants them in charge.
    They have lots of guns.
    They have no brains whatsoever.

The centrists and fence-sitters among us are not neutral;
    they're clearly on the side of the shitkicker crackers.
    They're all Joe Manchin without the expensive haircuts that they wouldn't be able to get back in their home states such as West Virginia.

So now, non-devolved, still with functioning brains humans, what do you plan to do about it?
    You're not all pushing seventy-five.
    Most of you will have to be here for a long, long time.
    Do you wish to live like a human being,
    or like a devolved mutant trumpanzee?

I have been the only contributor on this forum to remind you of what should have been obvious.

We have radical problems,
    and there are NO moderate solutions to radical problems.

You can continue to be panty-waists fellating your precious constitution,
    or you can decide that you'll do WHATEVER IT TAKES
    to not live like some drooling cracker like the ones you've met here at JPP.
    stop whining, tyrant who lost.

14. #568 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Been a good week. Most of my students are responding positively to instruction and have done well on the tests I have given. The lowest score from a non IEP kid was 57%. I can live with that.

Boring time of year for me. No hunting, fishing or golf. It’s hard to be physically active when the best activity available is walking around the block. Oh well, Spring will be here soon enough I guess.

15. #569 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Time for progress reports to go out. There's an example of making things politically correct that has evolved over my years of teaching. We used to only send out "Deficiency Reports" to students who had a "D" or below in our classes. Now we cannot single those students out and have to send out "Progress Reports" to every student's parents or guardians. While it is a good thing that all parents are notified as to how their kids are doing, that is not why the change was made. So, I have some old "Deficiency Report" forms that are titled "Deficiency Report" and I send those to parents of kids who have a "D" or below and I send the forms titled "Progress Report" to the parents of kids who are doing OK. I'm stubborn that way I guess.

I transitioned my Junior class to Trigonometry this semester. It is gratifying for me to see them excited about learning something new. These kids are going to be so much better prepared for higher education than I was. That's my goal.

Have deer backstrap and tenderloin marinating to cook tonight and have some ground deer thawed and ready to make chili for this cold weekend. Think I'll hibernate like a bear and only get out to go to church on Sunday.

16. #570 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,262 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Sure- there are a lot of issues at hand that are very concerning!

But attacking your own is probably not a good idea.

Yes, Sinema and Manchin are a challenge for the Democrats!

But, they tend to be breaking under pressure.

Sinema has been centured already by those who voted for her- and Manchin is starting to look like a spoiled brat that has to have everything his way!

I think they are cracking!

As far as everyone else in our party- we are already on board!