Page 31 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican State Legislatures Assume Leadership of Insurrection.

1. #451 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,549 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Leaving Kentucky driving back to Oklahoma and normal life tomorrow. Going to drop the boy off at the airport in Nashville on the way.

We’ll be carrying our years supply of beef and an Elliot (from the kid show Open Season) back with us. We have two chest type deep freezers at home to store food in throughout the year. We used a new butcher this year so this is the first year the beef is vacuum packed. I know from experience it will be less likely to freezer burn and will keep longer. I’ve been vacuum sealing our fish since the mid 90’s. I don’t think the ground beef packages weigh a pound though. They’re kind of small.

I’m ready to get settled back in to normal life now but, as usual, I’ve enjoyed the visit with the in-laws and my Sunday off from preaching.

We’ve got to set up appointments to get our booster vaccine when we get home. We had just received our reminder cards the day we left home. Strange how life changes over time and periods of a person’s life. I haven’t decided if I like this stage of not having my son nearby. I better get used to it though because if he has his way he’ll be living in Japan after he graduates college … if not before.

2. #452 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,043 Times in 7,480 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,047 Posts

Is your son financially independent, Mr. Leaning?

Will he be able to migrate to Japan on his own without help?

From what I understand, Japan is a very expensive nation in which to live.
    Certainly more expensive than Middle America.

I'm sure that he'll do his due dilligence and look into it.

That being said, Asian girls are smoking hot from what I can see on Netflix..
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

3. #453 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Patriots won their sixth in a row after a 2-4 start.

I expected NOTHING from them this year.
    I still have them on as background noise, but I look up more often.

4. #454 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have loose ties (my wife lived in Nashville when we met and was a Titans fan) with the Titans so I was rooting for them today. Hoping they can get healthy and make a playoff run. I’ve watched several Patriots games this year and have witnessed them getting better and better.

Hoping my Cowboys can get better but they seem typical for the Cowboys of the last 25 years. Glad I got to enjoy them being good when I was young. I was a lot more passionate about it back then. If I “cared” as much now as I did then I’d have had a heart attack by now. I used to visit with a liberal friend on here with the moniker of “Lorax.” Poor guy was from Buffalo and absolutely hated the Cowboys. I enjoyed our back and forth.

Three weeks of work then Christmas break. I always enjoy Christmas except that I never know what to get my wife. Stressful. I’m hoping something will catch my eye between now and then.

5. #455 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Been a crazy day in Oklahoma. Gut punches and all, we’ll see how bad things get going forward. I predict dark days ahead. First time since 1946 this has happened. Hopefully it won’t be as bad as I think it will be.

I gave a “groan” today on the board. Not proud it but I feel a bit betrayed and am angry right now. It will pass. Just got home and I see the barn burner of a game between the Redskins and Seahawks. At the half… 9-9. Don’t know if I can contain my excitement.

Home basketball games tomorrow night. I see they have me operating the score clock. As good an excuse as any to get out and go to the game. I’ll attend my aunt’s funeral after I get out of school then work on butchering the deer I killed last week until time to go back to the school. It’s just a 6-7 mile drive so no big deal.

I may not care as much about my Cowboys as I used to but I do love my Sooners.
    Last edited by leaningright; 11-29-2021 at 09:06 PM.

6. #456 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ever since Boston College decided to join the ACC and stop being an "eastern" team, the once popular football program has gone into witness protection.
    Except for a small handfull of alumni, NOBODY CARES. Tobacco Road is not part of our culture, and we're very provincial and even parochial.

We're in an area where culturally if not practically, the private schools are more important than the state universities.

Thirty or forty years ago, in the Doug Flutie era, the Eagles were at least as popular as the Patriots and far more successful.

A recent poll shows that FCS level Harvard is Boston's favorite college football team, and they're not exactly selling out every game either.

Condolences for the loss of your aunt, Mr. Leaning.
    I lost my very last one two or three years ago, actually an aunt through marriage. She was 100 even.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

leaningright (11-30-2021)

8. #457 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,784 Times in 17,238 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    The Patriots won their sixth in a row after a 2-4 start.

I expected NOTHING from them this year.
    I still have them on as background noise, but I look up more often.
    My team is the Lions. Sundays are sad.

9. #458 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    My team is the Lions. Sundays are sad.
    There was always 1957.

10. #459 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Never fails…get me running the scoreboard and we go into overtime. Girls won by two in OT and our boys won easily.

Getting record high temperatures here. Rode my motorcycle to work today. Supposed to be 76 Thursday. I may have to break out the golf clubs.

My dad went with the Choctaw senior citizens (they’ve adopted him as their paleface friend) to pick up pecans at a commercial pecan grove the tribe owns. He’s the oldest on the trip and I haven’t talked to him to see how many he got. Most of them were carrying buckets of some sort but he had his 50 lb burlap feed bag. I told him he was going all old school on those young 70 year olds.

11. #460 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's been steadily in the thirties here in Boston for the past week.
    I had stopped wearing a mask outdoors while walking my dog, but now I'm wearing one again because it keeps my face warm.
    Plus I like the look. Hoodie. Ray Bans. Covid mask. I may as well be Darth Vader!

12. #461 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Worked on PA system in the school auditorium today. There is a school beauty pageant Friday evening so they needed multiple microphones. I got them a few working. We don’t use the auditorium much so the ever changing Superintendents let it get dilapidated. I’ve put some work into some of the hardware it this week, another teacher worked on the stage lighting and another former teacher worked on repairing the stage curtain. I give it all two thumbs up.

I got a contact email from a parent whose daughter is failing my class. She was genuinely concerned. I am so happy to get those emails or other contacts because usually we can right the ship if we work together.

May the force be with you.

13. #462 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

School beauty pageants are definitely NOT a thing in "woke" Massachusetts!

I have commercial venue sound equipment in my finished basement.
    Use maybe five of the three hundred watts per channel to watch TV.
    I've made some stupid purchases in my lifetime, obviously, but boys will be boys.

14. #463 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

School beauty pageants are definitely NOT a thing in "woke" Massachusetts!

I have commercial venue sound equipment in my finished basement.
    Use maybe five of the three hundred watts per channel to watch TV.
    I've made some stupid purchases in my lifetime, obviously, but boys will be boys.
    LOL … this is the first one ever here in my memory. But the kids are excited about it and I’m all about supporting the kids. I gave them a donation and got their sound system working. I won’t be attending their pageant though. I’m thinking of going on a coon hunt.

15. #464 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    LOL … this is the first one ever here in my memory. But the kids are excited about it and I’m all about supporting the kids. I gave them a donation and got their sound system working. I won’t be attending their pageant though. I’m thinking of going on a coon hunt.
    Please. please, please don't tell me that you eat racoons. I'm serious. This isn't a question for which I want an answer.
    I'll be much happier not to know and will try my best not to think about it.

Racoons? i was just about to have breakfast, but now I'm not sure if I can eat.

Racoons? The things that forage trash buckets? Racoons? To eat?
    Squirrels completely grossed me out, but now I think that you're just screwing around with me.
    Racoons? Why not skunks? Racoons? Really?
    Never mind. Please. I don't want to know.
    But racoons?

16. #465 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Please. please, please don't tell me that you eat racoons. I'm serious. This isn't a question for which I want an answer.
    I'll be much happier not to know and will try my best not to think about it.

Racoons? i was just about to have breakfast, but now I'm not sure if I can eat.

Racoons? The things that forage trash buckets? Racoons? To eat?
    Squirrels completely grossed me out, but now I think that you're just screwing around with me.
    Racoons? Why not skunks? Racoons? Really?
    Never mind. Please. I don't want to know.
    But racoons?
    LOL...no, no, no. Raccoons are hunted and sold for their fur. Some people do eat them but I'd have to be awfully hungry ... The same dog that I have that trees squirrels will also tree raccoons if I take her hunting after dark. Since I killed that bobcat out of my yard a few weeks ago (The fur is worth at least $75 when I sell it) I thought I might hunt a few coons to have to sell with it. We have a bumper crop and since fewer and fewer people hunt/sell fur-bearers they have a tendancy to overpopulate in certain areas. I still haven't decided whether I will go or not. I haven't traipsed around the woods at night since I was 37, the the year that my last coon hound died and really, it is a young man thing. If I had a younger person to teach it makes it more fun for me. Finding one's way around the forest at night, using the stars when the sky is clear and using a compass when it isn't ... that's part of the "teaching" part for me. My dad taught me all about constellations long before I learned about them in school simply because he used them to navigate through the woods at night.