Page 19 of 60 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican State Legislatures Assume Leadership of Insurrection.

1. #271 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    What a beautiful dog!
    She’s a wonderful pet. A great squirrel dog too. The breed is Mountain Cur.

Home from a day at work. Won the first round of the tournament 12-2 in 4 innings. Play in the semis tomorrow at 8 pm.

Beautiful weather here. Very Autumn-ish.

2. #272 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,760 Times in 7,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Brady and Gronk. I know that I've seen those two guys before.

I don't really like football as a whole, but how do you not watch Tom Brady?

44 years old. Unbelievable.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

3. #273 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Brady and Gronk. I know that I've seen those two guys before.

I don't really like football as a whole, but how do you not watch Tom Brady?

44 years old. Unbelievable.
    Brady is definitely the GOAT but he always plays for the wrong teams for me to root for him. Gronk too. Hopefully we’ll get another shot at them in the playoffs. All in all my Cowboys didn’t look to bad. Need to be able to run the ball better.

My Cards beat the Dodgers 2 in a row but are still 3 back of San Diego.

This is my favorite time of year. Both of my favorite sports, hunting season is around the corner, days are getting cooler. Definitely the most wonderful time of the year.

4. #274 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Late night last night…at least for a guy of my advanced years.

This is the time of year that I clean out my freezer so I made a 5 pound batch of venison meat sticks (like Jack’s Links) and a six pound batch of venison bratwurst. Cooking the meat sticks off this morning.

Baseball game last night was supposed to be at 8 but the games before ours ran long and in the last inning of the game right before ours the sheriff came and cleared the field and the stands. We had about an hour delay to let a life flight helicopter land to take a fellow off. It happens here. Baseball fields are the best places for them to land their helicopters, especially at night.

We won 5-1 and will play in the finals today at 4.

5. #275 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sheriffs aren't what they used to be locally because we pretty much dissolved the majority of county government functions in Massachusetts.
    There's zero unincorporated land. When you leave one municipality, you enter another, so county government was redundant.

Although my discount senior membership doesn't usually cover weekend play, it's late in the season so we were able to play nine holes this morning.
    44. Not bad for a guy who would be condemned if he were a building instead of a person.

6. #276 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Savages win! We won the tournament 5-4 with a walk off steal of home against the #9 team in the state. Great win for our skinny boys.

No need to land helicopters on the field today. Another helicopter story: I remember when we were the visiting team at another small school in a softball game and there was a cloudburst causing a rain delay. Water all over the field. I knew this group took their softball seriously when a helicopter flew in and landed, pushing the water off of the field. It seems one of the girls on the other team had a dad or step-dad who owned the chopper. First and only time I saw a helicopter used to push water off of a softball field.

Took the missus out to dinner after the game. Watching Kentucky polish off Missouri right now while enjoying a cup of Community coffee. I always root for the Stoops brothers.

Speaking of the Stoops brothers, poor Ohio State. I feel bad for Mott.

I haven’t shot a 44 for 9 since the 90’s. Good job.

7. #277 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No golf tomorrow.
    The wife and I both have pedicures scheduled.

But there's the rub.

Medicare pays for my podiatrist, but NOT for her nail salon.

As a depraved East Coast commie, I like it best when somebody else pays for ALL of our stuff.

I should look into those "Fund Me" things that I've been hearing about.

8. #278 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Red Sox lost.
    Patriots lost.

I need to find new interests.

Maybe they should bring roller derby back.

9. #279 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Normal Sunday here. Lunch with dad, Chipotle Chicken Wrap for supper, church in between…with an afternoon of football. 4 former OU quarterbacks in action on Sunday, all contributing to their respective teams.

Back to in person school this week. Yay!

Big baseball week for us. We have a good tune up double header on Tuesday then leave Thursday to play in a tournament about 3 hours away near Stillwater. Playing some bigger schools that we don’t often play due to Geography.

My Cards keep giving me hope, hanging in there at 1 game back of the Reds and Padres.

I worry about folks. There seems to be more and more people in need of mental/emotional help these days. Lucy could make a killing at 5 cents a pop.

One of my student’s moms is a roller derby lady in a nearby Arkansas city. I used to watch roller derby with my dad, along with professional wrestling. He still loves to watch wrestling. I know not to plan anything with him on Mondays. I think what he watches is Monday Night Raw or something.
    Last edited by leaningright; 09-13-2021 at 06:40 AM.

10. #280 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here's the thing with professional wrestling.
    I've known it was a work since I went to my first matches at age seven.
    My aunt told me to root for the heels--we called them villains, then--just to see the reaction of the old ladies sitting near us.
    It was fun and it was funny.

Plus, if you were a boxing fan, you knew what a real fight looked like anyway, and if the wrestling moves were real, so would be quadriplegia.
    The performers are very skilled, mostly in not killing themselves and one another., and they used to be more skilled in comedy than they are now

But even though you understood that you were watching a performance, not an actual competition, at least you could, in the old days,
    suspend disbelief as you do when you watch a movie, for example. You could get into the fun a little bit.

Now it's gotten so cartoonish that it's impossible to suspend disbelief.
    The two huge, national level promotions, AEW and WWE, compete vigorously to determine who can present the most ridiculous product.

But plenty of people watch nonetheless, although the ratings are said to be drooping lately.

11. #281 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Lol…I agree with your assessment of professional wrestling. I enjoyed it as a kid but learned very quickly that it must be a choreographed performance. Entertainment only…and now, bad entertain at that, IMO. But I used to buy my dad tickets anytime they were near here just to watch him watch it.

I watched boxing anytime it came near here and didn’t miss Tuesday night fights. I also had some scraps of my own. Loved the local tough man contests when they had them. I could see the local “bullies” figure out they weren’t as tough as they thought. If ewe were fortunate enough to see someone who had some boxing training get in the ring we got to see them clean up on the less skilled but more mouthy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

NiftyNiblick (09-13-2021)

13. #282 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I had just one Mai Tai with dinner tonight, and I'm glad that I didn't have two before driving home.
    For some reason, I can't keep my eyes open and it's not even nine o'clock.

Now I'm going to put on the Sox pre game show, fall asleep on my recliner, and at 2 or 3 AM, I'll wake up and go to bed.
    The game will probably last until two anyway. Stupid West Coast baseball.

But then I won't fall asleep right away and the alarm is set for 6:30 for a 7:25 tee time.
    I'll show up on the tee well-caffeinated but in no condition to play.
    Despite that, I do better on the front than on the back when it catches up to me.

Sometimes I think that I may have been here before...maybe a few times.

14. #283 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It’s 9:10 pm here. I’m helping one of my 7th grade students with his math via text messages. It’s that 8 to 3 teacher job that we learn to love.

I have The Big Inning on while I’m helping him. Cards are winning if they can hold on. Hopefully Reyes can throw strikes tonight.

Went to Play It Again Sports and bought a couple 3/4 length black bottoms for a couple of kids whose parents won’t get them for them. Maybe they couldn’t afford them or maybe they can, but it matters not. The kids deserve to be able to dress out with the team no matter what suits we wear. We should be all set for our weekend tournament with suits for all three days. Hoping we play on Saturday anyway.

My wife took me to buy ammo and out to eat at Red Lobster while we were in town. Gotta love her.

15. #284 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Played nine again this early AM.
    Short rounds are getting to be a habit.

But I played this nine like a forty year old kid in his prime.

Decent ball striking in conjunction with making a few putts can theoretically happen on the same day,
    but if you play the game, you know that it rarely does.

It did today. I'm not going to flaunt a score out of humility,
    but it didn't suck.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

leaningright (09-14-2021)

17. #285 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Had a couple of games against two weaker teams in our class tonight. Won both by run rule as we should. Heading north on Thursday for a tournament at a larger school near Stillwater. Should be a fun trip and if we keep barreling up the ball like we’ve been doing we might make some noise there.

Go Cards! Sorry, couldn’t contain myself. One-half game up on the Padres and I’m watching them losing to the Giants right now. Never rooted for San Francisco before but I am tonight.

Evidently Molina came unglued on a relief pitcher who couldn’t throw strikes. All I can say is, “Go Yadi!” I’ve been griping about that all year.

Be glad when this game is over…I’m ready to go to sleep.