Page 26 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican State Legislatures Assume Leadership of Insurrection.

1. #376 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,820 Times in 17,256 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,596 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Like Ive said all along,...You are a bunch of impotent pussies. ALL talk...NO backup.
    Not like you? You type so roughly. Debate boards are talk.

2. #377 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Put my time in the woods today. Won’t get to go back until Tuesday evening. Got to have tires put on the Yukon and then the ones off of the Yukon put on the Tahoe Monday. Need to get that done as we’ll be driving the Yukon to Kentucky to see the in-laws in a few weeks. Then I have to take dad to his heart doctor (150 mile round trip) Tuesday morning. Should be back in time to hunt Tuesday evening. It’s a 9 day season so I’ll take every opportunity to hunt this week that I can.

Was home long enough to watch the second half of the OU game. We’re still not very good. Watched the OSU game on my phone while I was in the woods. Felt like they got homered on that spot on the 4th down play to end the game. Enough football.

Been a pretty good game between the Dodgers and the Braves. If the Dodgers find a way to win this series it will be the classic case of a team limping its way into the playoffs.

3. #378 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,061 Times in 7,495 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

Golf season is over here.
    Mornings are too cold.
    Afternoons get dark too early.

If times zones were straight lines, Boston wouldn't be in the Eastern.
    It would be in the Atlantic with the Maritimes and Bermuda.
    Because we're lumped into the Eastern with New York, it gets dark pretty early.

Since I do my hunting at the supermarket like most Bostonians, I'm entering lazy season.
    I'll probably finish Elizabeth Warren's latest book tonight, and that will give me an excuse to go to Barnes and Noble and buy something else.
    Probably something not political so I don't overload. That's how I intermingle books in the winter so I manage to not go bonkers.
    One serious book. One for fun.

One way of keeping in good winter shape used to be shoveling snow.
    Those days are gone.
    The same contractor who cuts my grass shovels my snow.
    I'd prefer to get my lethal heart attack in my bed, not on my driveway or on my lawn.

Walking the dog is my only workout. If I lived near you, I wouldn't even have to do that. I could just open the door and let her run for a bit.
    But I'd have other chores to do, and I'd almost certainly be dead by now.

I remember college days when I'd get up at dawn to do my roadwork before classes.
    After classes, I'd go to the gym. I'd do my studying at night in a state of semi-consciousness.
    I'd actually be less out of it during an actual match when I was getting punched in the head.

Good thing that the club pros I was fighting for spending money weren't as good as the guys I had seen in amateur tournaments.

When I returned from military service, I was determined to never abuse myself with "physical fitness" nonsense again.
    Golf became my most strenuous activity and until I was in my mid forties, I smoked a pack and a half of Camels a day.

When I finally quit smoking, I went through a phase where the only clothes that fit me had the "Goodyear" logo plastered across them and flew over ballparks.
    As a union rep, I took on the look of "Bobby Bacala" from the Sopranos.
    Finally, I found a happy medium sometime in retirement and that's where I am now.

You're a little too active to hang with me, so the internet correspondence thing works out well.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

4. #379 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not a lot of internet activity. Nothing on TV. Looks like a reading night as I predicted above.

5. #380 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Got vehicles in this morning and $1200 later have new tires on one and better tires on the other.

I was wrong. I had to take dad to his cardiologist today, not tomorrow, so we made that trip as well. That was pretty much my day. Got home at 4:45 and went to the woods until dark, which is about 6:30. Lots of small critters stirring, but no deer. Will try tomorrow after work.

I read … a lot. I read/study my Bible, obviously. But in addition to that I read a lot of fiction for entertainment. Mostly Westerns, but also a lot of magazines from the Outdoor genre. Hunt/fish/sports, with sports limited to baseball and football. I’m not a big basketball fan but will follow March Madness.

You’re so right about your dog. My 2 acre place borders a WMA (Wildlife Management Area) of some 42,000 acres. Your dog would have plenty of room to run.

I smoked from the time I was 18 until I was 37. My boy was 2 and I didn’t want to encourage him down that road. My dad smoked for over 61 years, until he had heart bypass surgery at 75. I was determined to be a better example. Hope I was.

I do try to be active but I have resembled that Goodyear logo comment at time in my life. I’ve always been a big guy but I do try to stay in some sort decent physical shape. Weighed 225 when I graduated high school. Flirted with 300 by the time I was 25. Not good on a 6’ frame. Been back at 225 for over 20 years now and in better than average shape for my age. Everything I enjoy requires me to be able to get around well. Riding my motorcycle, hunting, fishing, gardening, golfing…. So I do a little extra exercise during slow times to try to maintain.

6. #381 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Today is decades day at school. Red Ribbon Week. Guess I’ll drag out my bell bottoms, head band and Ray-Bans … that ought to do it. Thought about wearing a 90’s rap outfit but couldn’t find a pair of baggy pants. Thought I might go for the 50’s with jeans cuffed at the bottom, a white T-shirt and a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve…but I don’t own a white T-shirt. I don’t have the proper physique for that anyway.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

NiftyNiblick (10-26-2021)

8. #382 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Decades day sounds like fun.
    My problem is that even sticking to the ones that I've personally experienced, I have an awful lot of them from which to choose.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

leaningright (10-26-2021)

10. #383 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,607 Times in 17,048 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Got vehicles in this morning and $1200 later have new tires on one and better tires on the other.

I was wrong. I had to take dad to his cardiologist today, not tomorrow, so we made that trip as well. That was pretty much my day. Got home at 4:45 and went to the woods until dark, which is about 6:30. Lots of small critters stirring, but no deer. Will try tomorrow after work.

I read … a lot. I read/study my Bible, obviously. But in addition to that I read a lot of fiction for entertainment. Mostly Westerns, but also a lot of magazines from the Outdoor genre. Hunt/fish/sports, with sports limited to baseball and football. I’m not a big basketball fan but will follow March Madness.

You’re so right about your dog. My 2 acre place borders a WMA (Wildlife Management Area) of some 42,000 acres. Your dog would have plenty of room to run.

I smoked from the time I was 18 until I was 37. My boy was 2 and I didn’t want to encourage him down that road. My dad smoked for over 61 years, until he had heart bypass surgery at 75. I was determined to be a better example. Hope I was.

I do try to be active but I have resembled that Goodyear logo comment at time in my life. I’ve always been a big guy but I do try to stay in some sort decent physical shape. Weighed 225 when I graduated high school. Flirted with 300 by the time I was 25. Not good on a 6’ frame. Been back at 225 for over 20 years now and in better than average shape for my age. Everything I enjoy requires me to be able to get around well. Riding my motorcycle, hunting, fishing, gardening, golfing…. So I do a little extra exercise during slow times to try to maintain.
    Do you hunt on the WMA?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

11. #384 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,756 Times in 4,506 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    The lukewarm liberals don't seem to like this thread.

Talk is cheap but balls are rare, it seems.
    What are you doing that takes balls?

12. #385 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Do you hunt on the WMA?
    Absolutely. It was the deciding factor when I bought this place in 1992. Gave $30,500 for it back then.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

RB 60 (10-26-2021)

14. #386 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    What are you doing that takes balls?
    He golfs. He's pretty good. It takes a lot of balls to golf like I do.

15. #387 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Absolutely. It was the deciding factor when I bought this place in 1992. Gave $30,500 for it back then.
    Cool! I had some woods next to my property, but they timbered it. Nothing like yours though. When I bought my place, I had a set amount I was gonna spend (I was single), just in case I would get laid off or lose my job. There was a really nice place less than 1/4 mile from our gun club, set in the side of the ridge, but it was just much. If I knew then what I know today, I'd have bought it.
    I told the GF I'm thinking of selling and want to get back out further in the sticks (darned developments springing up!), she didn't say too much. We'll see...

My father and I hunted (actually parked at) a farm that bordered Game Lands here in PA. for years. We were rather successful hunting there. The farmer died, and his nephew (who inherited it) posted it now because some idiot stole all the junk cars and tractors he had and sold them for scrap. His farm is at the base of a ridge, the Game Lands ran parallel to his farm. My father hunted it since he got out of the Navy in 1945, I hunted it since 1972. There is one access road that borders the Game Lands from the top of the ridge, but it's too much of an uphill drag, even for the most fit. That, and it's the only public access and it's hunted pretty hard on the top. I had a few surgeries that put a stop to my hunting over the last 3 years (right after I retired), but I'm feeling much better now. I may ask if I can park there and hunt flintlock season since my father and his grandfather were good friends. We'll see...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

leaningright (10-26-2021)

17. #388 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He golfs. He's pretty good. It takes a lot of balls to golf like I do.
    I've found the best driver for golf balls is an aluminum baseball bat.

18. #389 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Pretty uneventful day yesterday. I ended up going as a 50’s guy. I had to substitute a gray t-shirt and candy cigarettes for real ones. I was surprised that our town store had them. The kids love it when teachers participate in their activities though. I’ll carry a hobo knapsack today as it is “carry your supplies to class in an alternate way” day. I’ll be interested to see what the kids come up with.

I jumped the biggest buck I’ve ever seen as I was walking into the woods yesterday. He came out of the thicket about 50 yards up the trail from me and ran straight away at full speed. I could have shot and hit him but I’m not in the habit of shooting the south end of a north bound deer. I know who some people who would have tried because he was such a big one, but it isn’t me. I’ll get a better, more lethal shot at one.

19. #390 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What type of deer do you have where you are? We have whitetails here, but if they wander into yards west of the city--they won't be downtown!-- you can't shoot them.
    I think you are allowed to feed them, however. Either way, some people do. Apples and whatnot. But neighborhood dogs spook them away.

There are places and times where you can hunt deer with a proper license, but because Massachusetts is so densely populated, you can't use a rifle in most counties.
    You have to use a slug shotgun, so not too many people bother. Those who do tend to apply for out of state licenses in New Hampshire, Maine, and maybe Vermont and New York.
    They're mostly people from the smaller towns, though, because hunting isn't a major part of urban culture.
    Still, the deer overpopulate without a hunting season because they have less and less space to live but it doesn't stop them from screwing around.

My rifles are too small bore---.220 Swift, .22-250--to use on deer even if I were inclined. The .44 Mag carbine would work well from short range, but I never aimed it at anything living.
    Some assholes gave me an M16, also small bore, for that.