Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican State Legislatures Assume Leadership of Insurrection.

1. #661 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I thought he started last August or September and attended TWO semesters. I must have remembered incorrectly.
    No sir. You are correct and I’m an idiot and mis-spoke (or mis-typed) … I should have said, “His first year…”

We’ll see how his first, short excursion abroad goes. I know he plans to go to Japan at some point to study as well. Hopefully we have enough money laid by to help him out. As long as he is progressing towards a productive degree I don’t mind.

2. #662 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,761 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Sounds like quite a kid. Enjoy being his dad.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

leaningright (05-14-2022)

4. #663 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Been a great first week of summer. Enjoying watching baseball with my boy, even though we don’t get to see our favorite teams. We’re just fans of the game. Got my garden worked out, yard mowed, brush hogging done. I’ve been working on my old tractor … installing a power cut off switch on it. It has a short in it somewhere that causes the battery to run down between uses. I’ve tried to trace it for a couple of years now. Can’t find it so I’m employing the simple solution.

Been cleaning up here getting ready for hosting a preacher and his family who will be here so he can preach a gospel meeting. They’ll be here Saturday. I’ve also caught enough catfish to provide for a fish fry for our congregation (about 40-50 people) on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

5. #664 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Been a great first week of summer. Enjoying watching baseball with my boy, even though we don’t get to see our favorite teams. We’re just fans of the game. Got my garden worked out, yard mowed, brush hogging done. I’ve been working on my old tractor … installing a power cut off switch on it. It has a short in it somewhere that causes the battery to run down between uses. I’ve tried to trace it for a couple of years now. Can’t find it so I’m employing the simple solution.

Been cleaning up here getting ready for hosting a preacher and his family who will be here so he can preach a gospel meeting. They’ll be here Saturday. I’ve also caught enough catfish to provide for a fish fry for our congregation (about 40-50 people) on Saturday. Looking forward to it.
    In Boston, summer runs from June 20 to September 20, or roughly thereabouts.

It's already summer in Oklahoma, Rev?

Cool. enjoy it.

The lawn people have already spray-seeded the bare patches left from winter, so we're getting real close.
    It wasn't that long ago that they were plowing the driveway, it seems.

I've been playing golf for nearly a month and my game is totally gone. I may be at the end.
    Spinal stenosis. I didn't know what it meant not that long ago.
    I can and do still walk the dog. (You can't let them run around loose in Boston--too much traffic.)

When I can't do that, it's time for the needle. The BIG one.
    But we're still cool for now. Enjoy your summer, Rev.

6. #665 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Summer for me for 34 years has been from when school is out to when school starts even though when school is out it’s still kind of Spring-ish sometimes. Of course this year it helps me call it Summer since it has been in the 90’s for the past 2 weeks, the humidity HS been like a sauna and the mosquitos are thick. Ugh.

I enjoy working/playing in the out of doors but the heat and mosquitos make it rough. Fortunately, if things go like normal, the number of mosquitos will decrease as Summer progresses. We are expecting cooler weather next week. I plan to go pay my yearly dues at the golf course next week as well.

Hopefully your condition will get better with warmer weather this summer. I’ve heard of it because most of my friends are in their late 60’s to mid 80’s. A couple of them experience it and from them I understand it is not good.

Your Sox have been playing a bit better the last week and a half…but the Yankees are killing it. Could be their year.

7. #666 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Your Sox have been playing a bit better the last week and a half…but the Yankees are killing it. Could be their year.
    All I ask is that the Sox give us a summer. Until recently, it didn't look as if they were going to.
    They're hitting better going back to Red Sox style hitting, making the pitcher pitch.

The analytics people wanted them to be more aggressive and swing at first pitches but that worked out horribly.
    They could have just asked me; I'd have told them that.

The Red Sox have won four World Series this century. A Yankee fan tried to tell me that the Yankees have won two but he's wrong.
    2000 was the previous century. 2009 is the only one they've got this century.

I wasn't one of the idiots who celebrated the new millennium a year early.
    As a math guy, you knew that the Y2K concerns were a potential software crisis that had nothing to do with a new millennium.

I knew a guy who built a shelter and I never saw him again after 1999. Sounds like a rib but it's true.

8. #667 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ahhh…Y2K. Like most New Years my bunch brought it in singing. Said a prayer, kissed my wife then went home. No worries about a crisis bothered me. But people did do some crazy stuff being worried about it.

It’s been a busy but great week. The visiting preacher and his wife and three kids are staying at my house. It’s been great having little ones waking me up early. I’ve enjoyed helping to prepare meals for more than me and the missus. Even better, I know it isn’t permanent and life will be back to normal soon.

The guy is an inspiring preacher and I’ve enjoyed listening to him the past 2 days…4 sermons. Got 2 to go, tonight then Wednesday. Thursday he and his family will head back to Texas and me and mine will head to Kentucky. So in the meantime I’ve been preparing the home place for us to be gone for a week. I have a girl lined up to feed my animals while we’re gone, got my garden worked and plan to mow the yard tomorrow. That should do it.

I’ve really been enjoying having my boy here and watching baseball with him. The Cards walked it off last night with a Goldschmidt grand slam last night. Thanks to The Big Inning we got to see it happen. Life is good.

9. #668 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We have a rare born-again Christian in our neighborhood.

Most of the neighborhood is lapsed Catholics with a few who hang in with a residual albeit largely socially motivated baptism /wedding / funeral attachment.

This lady is a very nice widow who always says hi when the dog and I walk by.

I went to her church for the services when her husband died.

Born agains in Boston are a tough breed. They definitely don't have a home field advantage, but they're true to their beliefs.

People can believe what they believe in terms of God and spirituality, Rev. I've no problem with that.

But Rev, there is a very strong political element to fundamentalist / evangelical Christianity; and it's not the politics that prevail in Boston.
    Listening to the minister, I had the strong feeling that I was behind enemy lines. There is no conciliation to be had on social beliefs.

I simply listened and even sang along with some of the hymns that I recognized from old Elvis Presley records.
    How Great Thou Art is a hell of song, right? It's cool how you guys do English lyrics instead of Latin.
    I think that my old church may even be doing that now.

But the Gospel, whatever messages it may have, can't overcome the politics, Rev. There's no common ground on which to meet.
    What do you think? I respect your thoughts.

10. #669 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    We have a rare born-again Christian in our neighborhood.

Most of the neighborhood is lapsed Catholics with a few who hang in with a residual albeit largely socially motivated baptism /wedding / funeral attachment.

This lady is a very nice widow who always says hi when the dog and I walk by.

I went to her church for the services when her husband died.

Born agains in Boston are a tough breed. They definitely don't have a home field advantage, but they're true to their beliefs.

People can believe what they believe in terms of God and spirituality, Rev. I've no problem with that.
    I do imagine that those evangelical types are indeed a “tough breed” in certain areas of the US. As outnumbered there as the atheist is in my neck of the woods, no doubt. And like you, I’ve no problem with the atheist’s beliefs. I have taught a few, one of whom I currently work with at the school. She’s a good, moral girl and we have always had a great relationship.

I will always state my beliefs when asked or if certain things come up in a discussion but I’m not going to door knock, badger or otherwise go to annoying efforts to convert them.

But Rev, there is a very strong political element to fundamentalist / evangelical Christianity; and it's not the politics that prevail in Boston.
    Listening to the minister, I had the strong feeling that I was behind enemy lines. There is no conciliation to be had on social beliefs.
    I don’t know what a fellow could/would say at a funeral to make someone feel like an enemy. Funerals are the hardest things I have to do. And here is where I will delve into my beliefs: Most funerals that I do are for people with whom I have had a close personal relationship, some of them most of my life. If the person was a Christian who had lived a long life it is somewhat easier than some others because of my belief that we’ll meet again some day. The hardest are young people and suicides. Anyway, I’d like to think that no one attending a funeral I conducted has ever felt they were “behind enemy lines.” Sorry you had to go through that.

I simply listened and even sang along with some of the hymns that I recognized from old Elvis Presley records.
    How Great Thou Art is a hell of song, right? It's cool how you guys do English lyrics instead of Latin.
    I think that my old church may even be doing that now.
    I love the singing part of worship. I led the singing last night at the gospel meeting and thought about leading How Great Thou Art as it would have flanged right up with the other songs I had picked out. I finally decided against it and will likely lead it next week. Speaking of Elvis, we sing strictly a capella in our worship, but at a funeral or wedding we’ll play songs that people request. I was doing a funeral for a friend and his daughter picked out three Elvis recorded gospel songs. It was great. Love listening to Elvis.

But the Gospel, whatever messages it may have, can't overcome the politics, Rev. There's no common ground on which to meet.
    What do you think? I respect your thoughts.
    The Gospel … what I peddle regularly, is separate from politics. In a nutshell, Jesus died, was buried and rose again the third day. With that sacrifice He made forgiveness of sins possible. It took His blood to to do that. That was His part. My part is to believe that He is the son of God, repent (start to try to live to please Him and not me), be willing to publicly proclaim Who He is (the Son of God) and be baptized for the remission of sins. Then live a life faithfully striving to conform to His will. That’s the basic message I preach. No politics there.

The only thing I might mention covering living to conform to His will that could be remotely seen as being political is that homosexuality is sin and that abortion is murder. While I might mention those two things once in a while, I spend far more time teaching that shacking up is sin, that cheating on one’s spouse is sin, that failing to help my fellow man when I have opportunity is sin, etc. The reason is that I know far more people who fall into that second class of sinner than the first, myself included. Homosexuality and abortion aren’t too common among the people whom I’m trying to herd in the right direction.

But politics and religion. Can concessions be made? Can conciliations be made on social beliefs? Probably. Likely, in fact. For instance, while I believe that homosexuality is a sinful lifestyle, religiously/biblically speaking, I don’t believe they should be mistreated or left out as citizens. I was for civil unions back when the whole gay marriage thing was being debated. There was no conceivable reason to deny them the right of inheritance, visitation in their last days, etc., IMO. Just one example.

I am less flexible when it comes to abortion. I would lessen the restrictions on adoption laws. My family is a family of adopters. My brother and his wife have raised 7 kids who were not their flesh and blood. My mom and dad, besides raising my 4 siblings and me, raised 4 others who were not “theirs” … but they really were in the end. My niece (she just turned 37) and her husband are raising 3 adopted children. In the case where true adoption took place, paperwork was filed, names were taken and the children could become legal heirs (in the case of my brother and niece), the hassle and expense was great. If I were king I’d make some improvements on that process so that the lives that are saved have a better opportunity for a good life with loving parents who are willing to provide for them.

Healthcare… while I support fully some form of government healthcare, especially for the elderly and poor, I stop short of government takeover of healthcare. I have some very close friends in Canada and when we sit down and compare notes on the two systems, we both prefer our system here in the US. It needs tweaking and it needs oversight (things like insulin and EpiPens shouldn’t be so expensive) to keep the cost affordable but we still think it is better. But even this conservative person can find common ground with someone left of center on healthcare.

There are other areas I’m sure I could find common ground with those on the left if we ever just sat down and talked with them long enough. That doesn’t seem to happen anymore. The right screams, the left screams then they go home and nothing much gets done. Makes me want to ignore The whole thing and just raise my garden, hunt and fish in my little corner down here.

We just got to Bowling Green. Been thinking and typing since Nashville. Though you and I are far apart politically I respect your thoughts as well. There is no doubting where you stand when you comment. And while we may not agree on a lot of stuff, respect can still reign. Sadly it doesn’t much in this world anymore … from either side. I get embarrassed by comments made by those on the right and especially those who claim to be Christians.

11. #670 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Even shacking up is a sin?
    What's it like to marry a virtual stranger with no sexual experience? Nobody I know would know.

People pair up much older now, thirties more common than twenties in urban America, and forties not unusual.

Are people suppose to remain celibate for their entire youth?
    I'm sure some people can, but others have normal libidinous instincts, no?
    In biblical times, people paired off little after puberty, no?

Oh well, at least it's just a religious belief and not something that you're all trying to enforce by law--like banning abortion.

I have to be completely honest, Rev. I don't see much difference between an abortion and a haircut.
    I respect that you see it much differently, but as a man, I must try to protect the rights and dignity of the women in my life by strongly opposing misogyny.
    So I have, and I do. We won't tolerate misogyny in Boston, and abortion rights are currently being codified in law.

We've both said it before. We both live where we belong! The only question remaining is whether or not it should be in one unified nation.

While I would call irresponsible procreation a sin, married or not, recreational intimacy is pretty much baked into the social cake by now.
    At my age, it's hardly a major personal issue, however.

Mostly, I believe in a far more comprehensive public sector, including more help for you in your weekday work, and a FAR more regulated private sector protecting workers and consumers.
    It's what makes living among conservatives impossible for me, even if correspondence is possible among people who choose to remain respectful.

12. #671 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I tried to start a new account because my old one is corrupted, but forum administration wouldn't activate it.
    Have they stopped activating all new accounts or just mine?

I can't open new threads on my present account.

13. #672 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not that I know of. If an admin has to do anything to activate an account on this site I don’t know about it. I am seeing some of your comments on other threads. Are you saying that you cannot start a new thread? I can’t imagine why that would happen. You are under no restriction.

14. #673 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not that I know of. If an admin has to do anything to activate an account on this site I don’t know about it. I am seeing some of your comments on other threads. Are you saying that you cannot start a new thread? I can’t imagine why that would happen. You are under no restriction.
    That's why I believe my account has been electronically corrupted, not restricted.
    That's why a new account may be necessary.
    When you open a new account, the website is supposed to send you an e-mail to verify and activate.
    It hasn't done that.
    I guess there's nothing I can do. It's not a major tragedy.

15. #674 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Every once in a while I need to rant … and this is the thread I choose to use to do it. Let me start by saying that I abhor flying. If I can drive there and have the time, I choose to drive. I would guess that 80% of the time we fly somewhere there are delays, cancelled flights, etc. derailing the most carefully laid plans for a vacation or whatever.

Well, a person can’t drive to Rome, which is where our son was supposed to be at 11:00 am tomorrow…a little less that 8 hours from now. The Plan…fly out of Fort Smith, AR regional airport at 11:30 today going to Dallas, catch a direct flight from Dallas, departing at 2:30, arriving in Rome at 8 am tomorrow. Sounds good, but …

We stay with him until he gets through security and leave. An hour later he calls and said they had evacuated the airport because a suspicious package had been found…later to be revealed that it was found in someone’s checked luggage. It was a … wait for it … lighted make-up mirror. Security couldn’t tell the difference between a harmless lighted make-up mirror and a bomb. Delayed.

The news of what it was Irritated me greatly. Now I’ve got a 19 year old stranded in Dallas trying to get to Italy because we can’t tell a make up mirror from a bomb.

It has been so frustrating working from here trying to help find an alternative flight to get him there on time … which is impossible we have found out.

It looks like he’s going to hopefully arrive in Rome at 11:00 pm a day late (and this is a bit iffy even), somehow find a place to sleep in a place he’s never been, before he can connect with his classmates sometime the next day…because we can’t tell a make up mirror from an explosive device. smh

If I’d have known I’d have just driven him to Dallas to start with. The four hour drive would have been worth it.

And to top it off yes, I feel guilty for being so irritated and frustrated.

16. #675 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Update: Still irritated at the circumstances that caused it but relieved that my boy arrived at Rome safely. Kudos to Oklahoma University for arranging for a driver to pick him up at the airport at midnight and drive him the 2.5 hours to Arezzo where he is staying most of the time. He still doesn’t have his luggage but the airline assured him that he’d have it by Monday.

Anyway, spent today unwinding after a stressful and worrisome Friday … caused by a make-up mirror. Watched OU softball, worked outside in the garden and worked with my pup on fetching this evening.

Back on topic … Dems cheated.