Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Results 346 to 358 of 358

Thread: Republican State Legislatures Assume Leadership of Insurrection.

  1. #346 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    9,714
    Thanks
    1,025
    Thanked 3,926 Times in 2,835 Posts
    Groans
    18
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    The Tampa Bay Rays are knocked out after having won 100 games in the regular season.

    Speaking not just as a Red Sox fan but also as a baseball fan, it's good that the Rays got knocked because the Rays are ruining baseball.

    Their using analytics to contend with nickel and dime payrolls is destroying the very nature of the game.
    but what I'm about to say is going to piss the Players' Association off.

    We've no need for small market teams. We've no need for teams like the Rays to win 100 games while playing in front of empty chairs at home all season long.

    MLB is supposed to be a PREMIER league showcasing the elite players of baseball.
    There are not enough elite players walking the earth at the same time to fill thirty MLB rosters

    Teams that are not in rabid markets supported by lucrative local cable TV deals
    and capable of fielding 150,000,000 dollar payroll teams
    comprised of genuinely elite players
    don't belong in MLB.

    It means fewer jobs for the players association, and for that, I'm sorry.
    But baseball is not an essential industry. It's sports entertainment. Teams like the Tampa Bay Rays are NOT entertaining.
    That's why they can win 100 games and still not draw flies at home.

    If Tampa/St. Pete can't support a real major league roster, it isn't supposed to have an MLB team.
    Florida baseball is great...in March. That's when you play baseball in Florida. Spring training.

    Now my Red Sox, a real MLB market team, get to play the Houston Astros, a team that we've been unable to beat all year.
    But at least we knocked out the Rays. We'll see what happens.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848

  2. #347 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Posts
    29,340
    Thanks
    4,549
    Thanked 15,570 Times in 11,693 Posts
    Groans
    123
    Groaned 313 Times in 300 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Ouch! Hope your hand heals painlessly.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

    leaningright (10-12-2021)

  4. #348 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    2,236
    Thanked 3,128 Times in 2,028 Posts
    Groans
    80
    Groaned 90 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    The Tampa Bay Rays are knocked out after having won 100 games in the regular season.

    Speaking not just as a Red Sox fan but also as a baseball fan, it's good that the Rays got knocked because the Rays are ruining baseball.

    Their using analytics to contend with nickel and dime payrolls is destroying the very nature of the game.
    but what I'm about to say is going to piss the Players' Association off.

    We've no need for small market teams. We've no need for teams like the Rays to win 100 games while playing in front of empty chairs at home all season long.

    MLB is supposed to be a PREMIER league showcasing the elite players of baseball.
    There are not enough elite players walking the earth at the same time to fill thirty MLB rosters

    Teams that are not in rabid markets supported by lucrative local cable TV deals
    and capable of fielding 150,000,000 dollar payroll teams
    comprised of genuinely elite players
    don't belong in MLB.

    It means fewer jobs for the players association, and for that, I'm sorry.
    But baseball is not an essential industry. It's sports entertainment. Teams like the Tampa Bay Rays are NOT entertaining.
    That's why they can win 100 games and still not draw flies at home.

    If Tampa/St. Pete can't support a real major league roster, it isn't supposed to have an MLB team.
    Florida baseball is great...in March. That's when you play baseball in Florida. Spring training.

    Now my Red Sox, a real MLB market team, get to play the Houston Astros, a team that we've been unable to beat all year.
    But at least we knocked out the Rays. We'll see what happens.
    Loved the game last night. Especially loved the bunt. My son calls me "old" because I like things like sacrifice bunts in crucial situations better than I like home runs. I'll be old then.

    Looking forward to the next series.

    Our kids smoked the other schools in the academic meet yesterday evening. I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Those other kids, supposedly the cream of the crop from those schools, didn't seem to know much. It's scary. I am happy for our kids though...and our staff here at the school. Achieving in sports is one things, and we do like to do that, but achieving in Academic competitions is what it is really all about when you are a core subject teacher.

  5. #349 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    9,714
    Thanks
    1,025
    Thanked 3,926 Times in 2,835 Posts
    Groans
    18
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Loved the game last night. Especially loved the bunt. My son calls me "old" because I like things like sacrifice bunts in crucial situations better than I like home runs. I'll be old then.

    Looking forward to the next series.

    Our kids smoked the other schools in the academic meet yesterday evening. I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Those other kids, supposedly the cream of the crop from those schools, didn't seem to know much. It's scary. I am happy for our kids though...and our staff here at the school. Achieving in sports is one things, and we do like to do that, but achieving in Academic competitions is what it is really all about when you are a core subject teacher.
    I'm not a huge bunt fan when three outs end a half-inning.
    You have to play for crooked numbers in the modern game.
    BUT, in the bottom on the ninth, with none out, a player on base, and one run wins the game,
    if you have a guy who can do it, that's the time to do it.

    That's no different now than in 1901.

    Congrats to your kids and teachers for doing a great job.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

    leaningright (10-12-2021)

  7. #350 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    2,236
    Thanked 3,128 Times in 2,028 Posts
    Groans
    80
    Groaned 90 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    It’s the National League fan coming out in me. Pitchers getting down a bunt in the game is exciting for me. Probably has to do with me coaching high school. This year is the best hitting team we’ve had, top to bottom. Not a whole lot of hunting needed. In years past you can count on some weaker hitters in our lineups so bunting is crucial to putting some pressure on the other team’s defense.

  8. #351 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    2,236
    Thanked 3,128 Times in 2,028 Posts
    Groans
    80
    Groaned 90 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    It’s pouring here … but we need it.

    I gave semester mid terms today. My kids were aghast that I would make them take a comprehensive test. I don’t like to question the younger folks in my profession but it makes me wonder what they’re doing in their classes.

    I couldn’t stay with the Giants/Dodgers game last night. Went to bed at 5-1. Got up and checked the score this morning and it doesn’t look like I missed much.

    I triggered an alphanumeric character with what I thought was a reasonable post in response to his/her/its question in one of the other forums here.

    Today was my last day of work this week. We’ll now enjoy a two day Fall break. It’s youth deer season this weekend. It will be the first youth season to come and go that I haven’t taken my son hunting since he was in 4th grade. He didn’t get a shot at a deer that year but got one in the 5th grade and every year since then. Once one turns 18 he is no longer a “youth” … at least when it comes to this weekend. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t going to miss it a bit.

  9. #352 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    14,053
    Thanks
    8,077
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,968 Posts
    Groans
    367
    Groaned 141 Times in 139 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    The Tampa Bay Rays are knocked out after having won 100 games in the regular season.

    Speaking not just as a Red Sox fan but also as a baseball fan, it's good that the Rays got knocked because the Rays are ruining baseball.

    Their using analytics to contend with nickel and dime payrolls is destroying the very nature of the game.
    but what I'm about to say is going to piss the Players' Association off.

    We've no need for small market teams. We've no need for teams like the Rays to win 100 games while playing in front of empty chairs at home all season long.

    MLB is supposed to be a PREMIER league showcasing the elite players of baseball.
    There are not enough elite players walking the earth at the same time to fill thirty MLB rosters

    Teams that are not in rabid markets supported by lucrative local cable TV deals
    and capable of fielding 150,000,000 dollar payroll teams
    comprised of genuinely elite players
    don't belong in MLB.

    It means fewer jobs for the players association, and for that, I'm sorry.
    But baseball is not an essential industry. It's sports entertainment. Teams like the Tampa Bay Rays are NOT entertaining.
    That's why they can win 100 games and still not draw flies at home.

    If Tampa/St. Pete can't support a real major league roster, it isn't supposed to have an MLB team.
    Florida baseball is great...in March. That's when you play baseball in Florida. Spring training.

    Now my Red Sox, a real MLB market team, get to play the Houston Astros, a team that we've been unable to beat all year.
    But at least we knocked out the Rays. We'll see what happens.
    The Red Sox will be here next spring too, faggot.

  10. #353 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    9,714
    Thanks
    1,025
    Thanked 3,926 Times in 2,835 Posts
    Groans
    18
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    It’s the National League fan coming out in me. Pitchers getting down a bunt in the game is exciting for me. Probably has to do with me coaching high school. This year is the best hitting team we’ve had, top to bottom. Not a whole lot of hunting needed. In years past you can count on some weaker hitters in our lineups so bunting is crucial to putting some pressure on the other team’s defense.
    My son was a laser show with an aluminum bat in his hands.
    He memorized the Ted Williams Science of Hitting book word for word, but he was too little as a boy--he grew big late--to be a power hitter.
    He just hit one rope after another, foul pole to foul pole, game after game.

    Alas, his fielding took after mine. He had the range of a mailbox. And also, his strong Little League arm didn't grown into the full sized field in equal proportion.
    But I loved to watch him hit. He could go into the cage right now and put on a show at age 47. Just a hitting savant.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 10-13-2021 at 09:25 PM.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848

  11. #354 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    2,236
    Thanked 3,128 Times in 2,028 Posts
    Groans
    80
    Groaned 90 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    I’ve seen a lot of really good players from my playing days through now in my coaching days…over 40 years worth. During that time I’ve only seen a handful of Major Leaguers on all the teams on which I’ve played, played against, coached or coached against. Just shows how elite they really are.

  12. #355 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    2,236
    Thanked 3,128 Times in 2,028 Posts
    Groans
    80
    Groaned 90 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    Spent several hours with my dad today going through my grandfather’s old foot locker. Everything from old letters and Christmas cards to old tools to old shaving equipment and an ancient set of large animal vaccination syringes. Then there was the set of letters from a 28 year old son he had who had never seen him contacting him from Manila at the end of WWII. I always knew Uncle Manuel was a half sibling but never knew the whole story. It was a very interesting afternoon.

    Fixing to take the missus out for supper. Sitting here waiting in her to get ready I read where my Cards fired their manager. Wow! Didn’t see that coming.

  13. #356 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    9,714
    Thanks
    1,025
    Thanked 3,926 Times in 2,835 Posts
    Groans
    18
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Carlos Pena was my good friend's daughter's lab partner at Haverhill (MA) High School.
    He must have played ten years hopping around the bigs, Really nice kid when I met him. You would have liked him.
    I think he works on the MLB Cable Network now.

    Hope you enjoy dinner. You're till young. Treat it like a date!
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

    leaningright (10-14-2021)

  15. #357 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    37,379
    Thanks
    210
    Thanked 16,319 Times in 11,375 Posts
    Groans
    4,387
    Groaned 3,699 Times in 3,438 Posts

    Default

    I hate bunting. It is statistically a toss-up with swinging away. But it gives an out away that could have resulted in extending a rally.

  16. #358 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    2,236
    Thanked 3,128 Times in 2,028 Posts
    Groans
    80
    Groaned 90 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    We treated it like a date. Good food and good company.

    It’s cool to look back and see the guys one has encountered in baseball when they “make it.” My senior year of high school my record was 12-1 with an ERA of 0.96. The guy who had the bulk of the rest of our wins (we finished 28-13) was 12-1 with an ERA of 0.92. The difference is by the time he was a senior in high school he had a legit, potential big league fastball. He bounced around the minors for several years before finally getting called up with the Blue Jays…a few weeks before the big strike. He never made it again.

    I played against a guy at a nearby school (30 miles) who played around 10 years in the bigs. He was drafted by the Rangers but played in the late 90’s for Boston. Kid was the best high school player I ever played against. Name was Jeff Frye.

    We’ve had a few from schools around here make it. It’s cool to see them on the TV. Got to watch one in post season for the Braves (Lane Adams) a few years back.

    Fall weather has moved in here. Gonna be in the low 40’s tonight. I grilled burgers for supper when I should have made a pot of chili.

Similar Threads

  1. 5% Accept Republican Insurrection
    By katzgar in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2021, 09:00 AM
  2. Another Republican Arrested at the Insurrection
    By katzgar in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2021, 01:26 AM
  3. Pro-Gun Control Bills FLOOD State Legislatures
    By Howey in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM
  4. Where Republican Leadership Has Gotten Us
    By Mott the Hoople in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 06:40 AM
  5. republican leadership
    By Don Quixote in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •