Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GOP outraged: Civil War idol and founder of the KKK dug up and carted away like trash

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,645 Times in 51,928 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    He changed u stupid fuck,,,dont u POSs claim Byrd changed?

Forrest : Memphis' first White Civil Rights Advocate...

[SIZE=5]Forrest's speech to the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association July 5, 1875. TODAYS NAACP
    He died in 1877 at age 56. Ill health. All that evil shit coming back on him? Does it make you think or do you care?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,544 Times in 9,995 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    He died in 1877 at age 56. Ill health. All that evil shit coming back on him? Does it make you think or do you care?
    Forrest's speech to the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association July 5, 1875. TODAYS NAACP

Ladies and Gentlemen I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. ( Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong.

I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics.

You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you.

I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict.

Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am

Does that sound like a racist,,,u stupid fuck!

So Byrd did not change

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    hopefully just chucked that garbage into a landfill ......

The remains of Confederate general and KKK leader Nathan Bedford Forrest and his wife were dug up from a Memphis park and removed, along with a statue, to an undisclosed location. Descendants of Forrest, who was also a slave trader, were present during the exhumation, which was sparked by a grassroots effort to have monuments to racists removed from the city, the Commercial Appeal reported. “I think the Forrest family wanted the remains of their ancestor to rest in peace, because there was never going to be peace here,” Shelby County Commissioner Van Turner said. The remains and statute will eventually be transferred to the National Confederate Museum.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kkk-le...er&via=desktop
    Founder of the KKK is a lie!!!

Forrest detractors allege that the Confederate general was the "founder of the KKK." This is factually incorrect. The 19th century Ku Klos was founded as a fraternal organization on Dec. 24, 1865, in Pulaski by Thomas M. Jones, a Giles County judge; Frank O. McCord, publisher of the Pulaski newspaper; and four other Confederate veterans.

There is no evidence that Forrest ever wore any Klan costume or ever "rode" on any Klan activity. He did, however, on Oct. 20, 1869, order that all costumes and other regalia be destroyed and that Klan activity be ended.

This was confirmed by the U. S. Congress in 1871: "The natural tendency of all such organizations is to violence and crime, hence it was that Gen. Forrest and other men of influence by the exercise of their moral power, induced them to disband." See U. S. Congressional Committee Report (June 27, 1871).

When Forrest died in 1877, Memphis newspapers reported that his funeral procession was over two miles long. The throng of mourners was estimated to include over 3,000 black citizens of Memphis.

https://www.dnj.com/story/news/2015/...ghts/29995493/

Did 3000 blacks go to Byrds funeral?
    Last edited by volsrock; 06-12-2021 at 06:30 PM.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[SIZE=1]Forrest's speech to the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association July 5, 1875. TODAYS NAACP
    Dude, repeating it doesn't erase his life. Regardless, he's been dead for almost 150 years. Why do you give a fuck? He's been moved twice. This move has been in the works since 2015. How much butthurt can you have?

Posted: Jul 7, 2015
    https://wreg.com/news/statue-debate-...s-set-to-vote/
    Council begins process of removing Nathan Bedford Forrest’s remains
    MEMPHIS, Tenn. — On Tuesday evening the Memphis City Council unanimously passed a resolution to remove Nathan Bedford Forrest’s remains from under his statue in the Health Sciences Park on Union Avenue.

However, there is still a long road ahead before the remains would be moved to a new location.

According to the city council’s attorney, Chancery Court would also have to sign off on the removal of the remains and the family of Forrest would be involved in the decision as well.

The removal of the statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest is a separate issue.

The removal of the statue has been proposed as an ordinance before the council which will have to be read before the council three times before it can be approved.

From there it will be presented to the Tennessee Historic Commission but there is no timeline for when they will make a decision.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Dude, repeating it doesn't erase his life. Regardless, he's been dead for almost 150 years. Why do you give a fuck? He's been moved twice. This move has been in the works since 2015. How much butthurt can you have?

Posted: Jul 7, 2015
    https://wreg.com/news/statue-debate-...s-set-to-vote/
    Council begins process of removing Nathan Bedford Forrest’s remains
    MEMPHIS, Tenn. — On Tuesday evening the Memphis City Council unanimously passed a resolution to remove Nathan Bedford Forrest’s remains from under his statue in the Health Sciences Park on Union Avenue.

However, there is still a long road ahead before the remains would be moved to a new location.

According to the city council’s attorney, Chancery Court would also have to sign off on the removal of the remains and the family of Forrest would be involved in the decision as well.

The removal of the statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest is a separate issue.

The removal of the statue has been proposed as an ordinance before the council which will have to be read before the council three times before it can be approved.

From there it will be presented to the Tennessee Historic Commission but there is no timeline for when they will make a decision.
    Byrd saying he was sorry ...doesn't erase his life.

Byrd died a HUGE RACIST and u POSs on the left love him

And Byrd was a racist 125 years after Forrest was long gone

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Byrd saying he was sorry ...doesn't erase his life.

Byrd died a HUGE RACIST and u POSs on the left love him

And Byrd was a racist 125 years after Forrest was long gone
    Fuck Byrd. WTF does he have to do the choice of Memphis to finish with their 2015 decision to relocate Forrest a second time?

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    hopefully just chucked that garbage into a landfill ......

The remains of Confederate general and KKK leader Nathan Bedford Forrest and his wife were dug up from a Memphis park and removed, along with a statue, to an undisclosed location. Descendants of Forrest, who was also a slave trader, were present during the exhumation, which was sparked by a grassroots effort to have monuments to racists removed from the city, the Commercial Appeal reported. “I think the Forrest family wanted the remains of their ancestor to rest in peace, because there was never going to be peace here,” Shelby County Commissioner Van Turner said. The remains and statute will eventually be transferred to the National Confederate Museum.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kkk-le...er&via=desktop
    Robert Byrd ( D) ??? How in the fuck did that happen?