Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biden's Stock Market increased 10% in his 1st six months. 3 times better than Trump.

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,905 Times in 21,667 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    Remember how long it was still Obama's economy after Trump was elected? Its still Trump's economy.
    So its Trqmp's inflation?

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,367 Times in 6,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 602 Times in 566 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    So its Trqmp's inflation?
    And it was Trump's economy when the market plunged in the Spring of 2020 when Trump stepped on his dick trying to deal with the Pandemic.

Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Jarod (06-12-2021)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    This is a very good article that explains how the Bush legislation triggered the mortgage crisis:
    https://alt.fifty-plus.friends.narki...rtgage-bonfire

It's a long article but very informative.
    A couple of thoughts. You pointed specifically to the 2003 legislation intended to help minorities with down payments as the cause. Speaking only for myself, and I am NO expert on this subject, I've read about a half dozen books and tons of articles on the financial crisis and not seen that particular legislation as pointed to as the cause.

Bush was President during the crisis so he definitely had a role. But there are many factors involved here including those which were already in motion prior to him taking office. This didn't happen in a vacuum. And the biggest impetus for the crisis was the Fed's easy money policy. We had the dot com bust/recession and then 9/11 and the Fed dropped rates and kept them low. It's the same factors involved in today's asset inflation. It's a facile argument, imo, to say one person alone was responsible for the financial crisis.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    A couple of thoughts. You pointed specifically to the 2003 legislation intended to help minorities with down payments as the cause. Speaking only for myself, and I am NO expert on this subject, I've read about a half dozen books and tons of articles on the financial crisis and not seen that particular legislation as pointed to as the cause.

Bush was President during the crisis so he definitely had a role. But there are many factors involved here including those which were already in motion prior to him taking office. This didn't happen in a vacuum. And the biggest impetus for the crisis was the Fed's easy money policy. We had the dot com bust/recession and then 9/11 and the Fed dropped rates and kept them low. It's the same factors involved in today's asset inflation. It's a facile argument, imo, to say one person alone was responsible for the financial crisis.
    Oh, I'm not saying Bush Jr was the ONLY cause of the Mortgage crisis but his American Dream Downpayment Act was probably the thing that tipped it over the edge.
    I remember in 2004 when the housing market was raging. It was such a Seller's Market, people were getting 10-20% more than their listing price which was unprecedented.
    My Brother-in-law was a Real Estate Broker and he said the mortgage industry was handing out crazy loans to people who couldn't afford them. Then in 2006-7, you started hearing whispers about failing mortgages. In 2007, it really started going downhill and in 2008 we all saw what happened.

When you have a president encouraging mortgage companies to sell mortgages with little or no downpayment to unqualified buyers, that's what's gonna happen.

Sure, there are others to blame but Bush Jr. was the one that got the ball rolling, imho.
    Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Oh, I'm not saying Bush Jr was the ONLY cause of the Mortgage crisis but his American Dream Downpayment Act was probably the thing that tipped it over the edge.
    I remember in 2004 when the housing market was raging. It was such a Seller's Market, people were getting 10-20% more than their listing price which was unprecedented.
    My Brother-in-law was a Real Estate Broker and he said the mortgage industry was handing out crazy loans to people who couldn't afford them. Then in 2006-7, you started hearing whispers about failing mortgages. In 2007, it really started going downhill and in 2008 we all saw what happened.

When you have a president encouraging mortgage companies to sell mortgages with little or no downpayment to unqualified buyers, that's what's gonna happen.

Sure, there are others to blame but Bush Jr. was the one that got the ball rolling, imho.
    I've worked in real estate my entire career so it's something I'm passionate about and am really into and although I worked in the commercial side of the business back in the aught's I remember those heady days of multiple bids and things going way over asking etc. It's really not all that different from today and again the big driver is easy money from the Fed. I believe you're about 20 years older than me so you would probably have memories of the high interest rate periods of the '70's and early '80's and what that did to property values. Very different than what we've seen over the past 15 - 20 years.

From a political perspective there are multiple layers here. You referenced the 2003 Act that pushed for more grants for minorities to buy homes. I remember TTQ64 posting here that America was/is a racist country and now racist whites are blaming programs to help minorities buy homes as the cause of the crash. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying she is right but it's an interesting dynamic in all of this.

You can go back to the Clinton Administration which pushed for increased home ownership, especially increased minority home ownership, and the easing of lending standards to do so. From a political perspective it's been a very bi-partisan movement to increase minority home ownership (on the surface that's a very good thing but as always the devil is in the details).

And back to the original premise the stock market isn't the economy. Last year our economy was shut down and we were in a huge recession and yet the stock market soared. What drives investors is far more than the previous quarters GDP growth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Joe Capitalist (06-11-2021)

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,245 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Do the math:

S&P 500 on January 20th: 3,851
    S&P 500 today: 4,237

S&P 500 on Jan. 20th, 2017: 2,363
    S&P 500 on June 10th, 2017: 2,450

Sorry TrumpTards

IMG]
    What goes up, comes down, which is the reason past Presidents minus one seldom attached themselves to developments on the Stock Market

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,069 Times in 3,419 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 643 Times in 611 Posts

Where exactly do you think the American Dream Downpayment Act authorizes NINJA loans?

There doesn't appear to be anything in there that would have caused the crash or even started it. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...108publ186.htm
    The ADDA makes $200,000,000 available to be granted to low income people as down payment on a house. At an average grant of $20,000 that would only mean it only helped 10,000 people buy homes.

The ADDA was administered by HUD and HUD always required proof of income for their loan guarantees. The problem was in NINJA loans that had nothing to do with HUD and were not guaranteed by the government. These were in turn bundled and sold as AAA and backed by securities claiming they were AAA. Proper oversight might have seen these problems before they occurred but the decision to help 5-10,000 people buy a home wasn't what was driving the market.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    Where exactly do you think the American Dream Downpayment Act authorizes NINJA loans?

There doesn't appear to be anything in there that would have caused the crash or even started it. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...108publ186.htm
    The ADDA makes $200,000,000 available to be granted to low income people as down payment on a house. At an average grant of $20,000 that would only mean it only helped 10,000 people buy homes.

The ADDA was administered by HUD and HUD always required proof of income for their loan guarantees. The problem was in NINJA loans that had nothing to do with HUD and were not guaranteed by the government. These were in turn bundled and sold as AAA and backed by securities claiming they were AAA. Proper oversight might have seen these problems before they occurred but the decision to help 5-10,000 people buy a home wasn't what was driving the market.
    Just read the article:
    https://alt.fifty-plus.friends.narki...rtgage-bonfire

And check out the timeline. Bush Jr's American Dream Downpayment Act was signed in 2002. The Real Estate bubble occurred in 2004-2005. The mortgage collapse started in 2007.

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,346 Times in 8,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,704 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    My best year was 2019. I actually did pretty good last year with my put option contracts . I’m not complaining.
    Put options do well, if stocks crash. Buying a put option when trump was president was betting he would be a failure.

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,497 Times in 7,585 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Put options do well, if stocks crash. Buying a put option when trump was president was betting he would be a failure.
    TBH , I don't really care who is president. None have had an iota of influence on my life.

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

TBH , I don't really care who is president. None have had an iota of influence on my life.
    trump did not have "an iota" of influence on your life? Biden is not doing "an iota" of damage to your life? Good to know.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

anonymoose (06-12-2021)

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Actually I placed them about mid March after the start of the Wuflu hoax. Instead of selling off like most inexperienced investors I placed put options which were filled in less than two weeks.
    I’m sure you remember the market came roaring back very quickly. I made out like a bandit.

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Actually I placed them about mid March after the start of the Wuflu hoax. Instead of selling off like most inexperienced investors I placed put options which were filled in less than two weeks.
    I’m sure you remember the market came roaring back very quickly. I made out like a bandit.
    Buying put options, you would want the market to crash unexpectedly. If the market comes roaring back, those put options would become worthless.

Let's say a stock is at $19, and many expect it to go lower. You buy a put option with a strike price of $20. That is the option to sell the stock at $20. You need to pay at least a dollar for it, because it is one dollar above the current price, but also a few more dollars to pay for the probability (in the minds of others) that the stock will go lower. So you pay $3 for the option. Now if the stock goes to $40, you will have no incentive to sell the stock at $20, and that option will be worthless.

Now if the stock goes to $10, you can sell the stock at $20, minus the the $3 you paid for the option, you just made $7. That is over a 200% return, nice work if you can get it. The way buying a put option works is you are betting the underlying asset (a stock in this case) will go down.

17. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

. Buying put options, you would want the market to crash unexpectedly. .
    . The way buying a put option works is you are betting the underlying asset (a stock in this case) will go down. .
    It’s probably lost on you that those two statements are a contradiction. But the latter is correct.

. If the market comes roaring back, those options become worthless. .
    You really have no clue how options work, do you? The option contract is filled once the market price decreases to the price where I bought the contract. If the stock increases after that I bought a good stock for cheap. If it continues to go down I’m fucked.

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,835 Times in 17,266 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I've worked in real estate my entire career so it's something I'm passionate about and am really into and although I worked in the commercial side of the business back in the aught's I remember those heady days of multiple bids and things going way over asking etc. It's really not all that different from today and again the big driver is easy money from the Fed. I believe you're about 20 years older than me so you would probably have memories of the high interest rate periods of the '70's and early '80's and what that did to property values. Very different than what we've seen over the past 15 - 20 years.

From a political perspective there are multiple layers here. You referenced the 2003 Act that pushed for more grants for minorities to buy homes. I remember TTQ64 posting here that America was/is a racist country and now racist whites are blaming programs to help minorities buy homes as the cause of the crash. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying she is right but it's an interesting dynamic in all of this.

You can go back to the Clinton Administration which pushed for increased home ownership, especially increased minority home ownership, and the easing of lending standards to do so. From a political perspective it's been a very bi-partisan movement to increase minority home ownership (on the surface that's a very good thing but as always the devil is in the details).

And back to the original premise the stock market isn't the economy. Last year our economy was shut down and we were in a huge recession and yet the stock market soared. What drives investors is far more than the previous quarters GDP growth.
    Minorities were not the problem. It was the banks selling mortgage backed securities . The banks were making mega billion off of them. So when good mortgages were used up, they started using weaker ones. They also instructed their mortgage companies to drop qualifications for mortgages. It did not matter to banks because they had no liabilities. They packaged off the mortgages and sold them immediately. They also pressured the rating agencies to rate the increasingly bad securities as AAA.
    You would get emails and phone calls several times a day trying to talk you into a remortgage or buying a new house. The deals just got better and better. `You could but a house and wind it with cash in your pocket. The home market had been on a roll for over a generation. Who thought it would go bad?
    Banks even sold insurance in the worsening securities.
    It was not a minorities problem. They were just a symptom of what happens when regulation is gutted and unfettered greed is in control.