Members banned from this thread: katzgar


Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 112

Thread: Senate passes $250 billion bipartisan tech and manufacturing bill

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37,768
    Thanks
    14,199
    Thanked 10,497 Times in 8,067 Posts
    Groans
    428
    Groaned 2,280 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Senate passes $250 billion bipartisan tech and manufacturing bill

    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/08/sena...-at-china.html

    "Among its many provisions, the bill provides $52 billion to fund the semiconductor research, design, and manufacturing initiatives."

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

    Grokmaster (06-09-2021), PoliTalker (06-10-2021)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37,768
    Thanks
    14,199
    Thanked 10,497 Times in 8,067 Posts
    Groans
    428
    Groaned 2,280 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    "President Joe Biden applauded the bill’s passage: “As other countries continue to invest in their own research and development, we cannot risk falling behind.”

    Is this Communism?

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37,768
    Thanks
    14,199
    Thanked 10,497 Times in 8,067 Posts
    Groans
    428
    Groaned 2,280 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    "The Senate on Tuesday passed one of the largest industrial bills in U.S. history in a bipartisan effort to ensure the U.S. remains competitive with China as one of the globe’s technological powerhouses."
    "The bill, which passed the chamber 68-32, commits roughly $250 billion in funding for scientific research, subsidies for chipmakers and robot makers, and an overhaul of the National Science Foundation."

  5. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37,768
    Thanks
    14,199
    Thanked 10,497 Times in 8,067 Posts
    Groans
    428
    Groaned 2,280 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    "The largest part of the U.S. Innovation and Competition Act is a proposal previously known as “Endless Frontier,” written by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Sen. Todd Young, R-Ind."
    "Endless Frontier overhauls the National Science Foundation, appropriate tens of billions for the NSF between fiscal 2022 and 2026, and establish a Directorate for Technology and Innovation."

    Directorate? Boy ... this sounds like something out of the Soviet Union.

  6. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37,768
    Thanks
    14,199
    Thanked 10,497 Times in 8,067 Posts
    Groans
    428
    Groaned 2,280 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    “Around the globe, authoritarian governments believe that squabbling democracies like ours can’t unite around national priorities,” he added. “Well, let me tell you something: I believe that they are wrong. I believe that this legislation will enable the United States to out-innovate, out-produce, and out-compete the world in the industries of the future.”

    Will any of JPP Right Wing scholars oppose this?

  7. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    47,958
    Thanks
    13,840
    Thanked 30,839 Times in 20,327 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 1,268 Times in 1,200 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    "President Joe Biden applauded the bill’s passage: “As other countries continue to invest in their own research and development, we cannot risk falling behind.”

    Is this Communism?
    More like MAGA lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

    Matt Dillon (06-09-2021)

  9. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    36,140
    Thanks
    18,020
    Thanked 24,465 Times in 12,676 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,322 Times in 2,087 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    "President Joe Biden applauded the bill’s passage: “As other countries continue to invest in their own research and development, we cannot risk falling behind.”

    Is this Communism?
    I do not know who the 34 senators who voted against it are, but it shows that at least some Republicans have conceded that liberals have been right all along about the efficacy of an interventionist government in the economy and markets.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Jack (06-09-2021), ThatOwlWoman (06-09-2021)

  11. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    96,405
    Thanks
    49,287
    Thanked 29,752 Times in 22,770 Posts
    Groans
    40,133
    Groaned 4,297 Times in 4,097 Posts
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    "The largest part of the U.S. Innovation and Competition Act is a proposal previously known as “Endless Frontier,” written by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Sen. Todd Young, R-Ind."
    "Endless Frontier overhauls the National Science Foundation, appropriate tens of billions for the NSF between fiscal 2022 and 2026, and establish a Directorate for Technology and Innovation."

    Directorate? Boy ... this sounds like something out of the Soviet Union.
    The Green New Deal is certainly reminiscent of the Soviet Union's five year plans. Just substitute windmills and solar bird cookers for tractors and Ladas.

  12. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Detroit, AKA HEAVEN
    Posts
    31,343
    Thanks
    11,768
    Thanked 10,839 Times in 7,309 Posts
    Groans
    642
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    “Around the globe, authoritarian governments believe that squabbling democracies like ours can’t unite around national priorities,” he added. “Well, let me tell you something: I believe that they are wrong. I believe that this legislation will enable the United States to out-innovate, out-produce, and out-compete the world in the industries of the future.”

    Will any of JPP Right Wing scholars oppose this?
    I don't think anyone here works for the Federal Reserve or the EPA, so probably not. But those entities will.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

  13. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37,768
    Thanks
    14,199
    Thanked 10,497 Times in 8,067 Posts
    Groans
    428
    Groaned 2,280 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    The Green New Deal is certainly reminiscent of the Soviet Union's five year plans. Just substitute windmills and solar bird cookers for tractors and Ladas.
    This isn't 'the Green New Deal'. Try to stay focused on the Topic.

  14. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37,768
    Thanks
    14,199
    Thanked 10,497 Times in 8,067 Posts
    Groans
    428
    Groaned 2,280 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by /MSG/ View Post
    I don't think anyone here works for the Federal Reserve or the EPA, so probably not. But those entities will.
    Any chance you, or someone you know, could translate this into understandable English?

  15. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    36,165
    Thanks
    12,902
    Thanked 21,362 Times in 14,957 Posts
    Groans
    23
    Groaned 516 Times in 495 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/08/sena...-at-china.html

    "Among its many provisions, the bill provides $52 billion to fund the semiconductor research, design, and manufacturing initiatives."
    Interesting concept. Biden will fuck it up.
    Consider the Oyster.

    C-4 is just angry playdoh.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor For This Post:

    Matt Dillon (06-09-2021)

  17. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37,768
    Thanks
    14,199
    Thanked 10,497 Times in 8,067 Posts
    Groans
    428
    Groaned 2,280 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    More like MAGA lol.
    Yes. That is the Basic Concept of 'National Champions'.

    "National champions are corporations which are technically private businesses but due to governmental policy are ceded a dominant position in a national economy. In this system, these large organizations are expected not only to seek profit but also to "advance the interests of the nation"; the government sets policies which favor these organizations.Wikipedia"

    Usually, Right-Wing Toadies go berserk over this. They refer to it as 'picking winners', or 'tilting the Playing Field', or 'Government interference' in the Free Market.

  18. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    37,768
    Thanks
    14,199
    Thanked 10,497 Times in 8,067 Posts
    Groans
    428
    Groaned 2,280 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Interesting concept. Biden will fuck it up.
    It's an old concept. 'Biden' won't be doing any research.

  19. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    11,820
    Thanks
    7,004
    Thanked 2,816 Times in 2,439 Posts
    Groans
    336
    Groaned 114 Times in 112 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/08/sena...-at-china.html

    "Among its many provisions, the bill provides $52 billion to fund the semiconductor research, design, and manufacturing initiatives."
    In America? They're going to manufacture them in America?

    On the surface, this seems like great news!

    Forgive me if I'm leary of anything involving Schumer, though.

Similar Threads

  1. Senate Passes Bipartisan Criminal Justice Bill "First Step Act"
    By dukkha in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 12-24-2018, 06:33 PM
  2. The bipartisan senate budget bill: we're not there yet ...
    By sear in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2018, 02:11 AM
  3. Senate Passes Interstate Abortion Bill
    By MasterChief in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-28-2017, 04:56 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-17-2016, 11:18 AM
  5. 700 billion is the bill - passes tonight
    By ib1yysguy in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 06:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •